Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hey guys I cant decide what direction I wanna go with my car speed or system.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys I cant decide what direction I wanna go with my car speed or system.

Right now it's gonna a pretty loud system in it it's one 12 with 1600 rms all my equipment is mmats mids, highs, sub, sub amp, mids and highs amp too right now I'm pretty much stock has far has electrical other then a yellow top and a 1200 farad cap. I want to give her under drive pulleys but I dont know if i want to go for high output electrical power or.........high hp. I dunno what do you guys think you cant really have the best of both worlds. Because like I said you cant really under drive your motor if you want the best sound from your system, Now my question is could I under drive the crank pulley and over drive the alternator pulley what sort of alternator amperage would I be looking at? Or would one just cancel out the other one?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Buy another Yellow Top and run 2 batteries. One basically runs the car, the other the system. If you run 2 identical batteries you dont need an isolator or anything fancy just run power and ground wire (i'd run 0ga) and connect in parallel. - to - and + to +.

You can also put em on a relay (relay, switch and wiring). Switch lets you connect both batteries when running (normal use), all the time (jump start yourself), or not at all.

That way you can run your big system and do whatever you wat to the cars battery an charging system. Personally I still wouldnt run underdrives, I just dont think the small gain is worth the hassel and trouble that underdriving your charging system creates.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Agreed with above! I would only add a high output alternator to the mix and upgrade the "big three" (battery power cable to alternator, battery ground cable, and body ground cable) to at around 2 or 0awg wire. An alternator with a system that big would benefit from no less then 200 amps. This would also help your electrical system with running 2 batteries be more efficient.
Sounds like a nice system. Would love tosee some pics when your done!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I buy another yellow top and use 0 gauge and underdrive the crank I should be fine I still wanna add more power and I'm not talking about the system LOL.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to break it to you, but you're not going to gain that much hp going with an underdrive pulley. Do what the others have said, get the system done and put a vortech or procharger kit on it and call it done...thats best of both worlds
Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Yes, you should be fine.

As KEE AUDIO stated, add a nice aftermarket alt if you can afford it buy,,,DEFINATELY upgrade your underhood wiring. Some call it the "Big Three" or "Hyperground Syste"...basically all it is, is replacing the factory wiring with the biggest you can make work, matching it with your amp wiring size. You need to do the batt power wire to the alt, battery ground wire, and chassis ground wire. I try to do all 0ga if possible, hopefully you already have a 0ga amp kit in there but if not 0ga to your secondary batt, 0ga to your amp(s) from the second batt, and 0ga "Big Three". Think of it as one big circuit, you dont want a bottleneck in it anywhere. Also make sure all ground are to SOLID metal, scraped to bare (NO PAINT) and run as many self tappers thru your ground wire ring terminals as it takes to COVER it completely. NOT just thru the center. I know this sounds "ghetto" but anyone that knows ANYTHING will tell you the same.

Like I said, I'd try to find power elsewhere personally...Ive never see the pros to cons balance leaning toward the positive side with underdrive pullies...

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 09-17-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I already have all 0g on it 0g ground etc etc I'm gonna wind up getting a monster alternator from Irragi or something. I'm gonna wind up also getting a xs powercell for the back. And thanks I really didnt know how much I'd gain from the underdrive crank pulley. But my next question is how much amperage would I gain from an overdrive alt pulley?

Thanks
Matt
Old 09-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
But my next question is how much amperage would I gain from an overdrive alt pulley?

Thanks
Matt
None. You'll just move the output curve down so that the alternator will start producing it's higher output at lower engine RPM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't look like you've gone cheap (at least not to me) on your stereo equipment, so why nickel and dime your way to more power with an underdrive pulley? If you want more power, you need to look at something a little more serious than pulleys, especially if you are going to be adding batteries, etc...that extra weight kills.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know trust me I know but hey it makes for great weight transfer LMAO And no I didnt spare any expense, I've come along way since I 1st started doing car audio I had a friend do all the work but he taught me what I know to this date. It sounds awsome with the t tops off . I'm gonna eventually go with an irragi alternator. Anyways thanks guys I appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Big 3 is a pre-requisite for what you have. My stock 105a alt keeps up just fine with only the big 3 and a single battery running a 1000/1 and 450/4 which is pretty close in power to what you say you have. The underdrive pulley won't really help you speed wise and it will really hurt your electrical. Do the big 3, unplug and get rid of your capacitor, and leave the pulleys alone.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

look at Ohio Generators also
Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard some people having problems with ohio gen just word of mouth and I can personally vouch for irragi I've owned one of his alternators and it's badd ****. Ok now inform me on the big 3 please.

Thanks
Matt