Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring Help? aftmrk. h.u w/stock amp powering hatch spkrs.??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Help? aftmrk. h.u w/stock amp powering hatch spkrs.??

What im trying to do is use my aftermarket h.u to power my stock monsoon amp, to then power only the rear hatch speakers through the wiring harnesses, they are alpine 4in. mid's.

Everything else is running of amps, my front door and rear sails, so it doesent matter if i use the wires for the rear sails (or front door, it still wouldn't matter) on the aftermarket harness. How can i go about this, all the wiring diagrams i see show that the stock wiring harness only has 20pins and non of them are for the rear hatch? how could this be? the stock h.u powers them

has anyone attempted this?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

just remove the hatch speakers.
if you have nice front and sail panel speakers running off an aftermarket amp the rear hatch speakers will be pretty useless unless you really really feel it is necessary to keep them.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

considering i purchased and already installed them im pretty set on hooking them up. I figure if they run off the aftermarket h.u and stock amp like the factory speakers did, they will be getting plenty of power. Also i have my speakers ghetto rigged right now so i could at least listen to something while i waited to get amps. I plugged the rear hatch speaker cables into my crossover which runs my sail mids and tweeters in the hatch, this was running off of the stock h.u and amp but was weak due to the fact they were 4ohm speakers on a 2ohm signal.

So now i wanted to power these two new speakers like the original ones were, just off the headunit and amp. So how would i end up doing this? the factory wiring harness must contain the + and - running to the amp for the signals, if i could find those wires and re - posistion the pins so they are plugged into a rear + and - signal from the new headunit and harness, then it should work.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

any ideas? why is it when i plug in the factory headunit i get power to my hatch speakers but if i plug in the aftermarket i get nothing? i double checked all my crimps, they are all matched up correctly...i just want the two rear hatch sprks to run off the aftermarket h.u powered from the stock monsoon amp...this must be feasible
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by djdalite
How can i go about this, all the wiring diagrams i see show that the stock wiring harness only has 20pins and non of them are for the rear hatch? how could this be? the stock h.u powers them
Of course the hatch speakers are included in the factory harness - that's what the rear left and rear right speaker channels are for. The Monsoon amp takes the four speaker output channels (LF, RF, LR, RR) and splits them into eight channels - door mids, hatch mids, and DVC sail panel subs (or in Camaros - door mids, door tweeters, hatch mids, sail panel subs).

If the hatch speakers work with the factory HU but not with the aftermarket one then you should check that your HU hasn't been configured for pre-amp output only (a setup menu setting). The Monsoon amp takes speaker level input only. Otherwise, check the wiring again because there really isn't any other reason that they would work with one HU but not the other.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

nice. thanks for the info - i'll check this out - if this doesent work then i guess i'll just run new wires to the speakers from the new headunit, but i was hoping for a lil extra added power from the monsoon amp
Old 09-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

sweet, that worked, only problem is tho i think when i go to hook up my 4 channel amp i wont be able to run both the headunit amp and the pre-out signals...so i might have to ditch the hatch 4in speakers...we will see - thanks for the help
Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djdalite
sweet, that worked, only problem is tho i think when i go to hook up my 4 channel amp i wont be able to run both the headunit amp and the pre-out signals...so i might have to ditch the hatch 4in speakers...we will see - thanks for the help
are ya sure