Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Old Monte Carlo rolls up on me... Turns out it was a Buick...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Old Monte Carlo rolls up on me... Turns out it was a Buick...

Just out cruisin' on Sunday, playing with a couple of GSX or GRX bikes and after they turned into a resi area I see this older black Monte Carlo bustin through traffic... he's definitely comin'...

He rolls up behind me; I can see he's jacked up the back and the car looks wore OUT.

I'm in the center lane, and when traffic opens up I drop her into drive from OD and pull forward to give him the right lane and he rolls right on in and throws the hammer... I give a premature giggle and pour the coal to her and... he keeps comin'... "WTF?" It was immediately clear that this wasn't 'your Father's Monte Carlo and after a moment we began to pull him pretty good, but the next light shuts that run down...

It all became clear when he pulled next to me and I see the "Grand National" badge on the side... "Howdy!"

I'd never tangled with one; Hell... I hadn't ever even seen one... but have always heard what speedsters they are, so I wasn't sure what to expect... Dudes kinda quiet, but I tell him that it's good to see a Grand National out fishin' and he cracks a smile and explains that it's an old car but still fun to drive... and I'm like, 'I heard THAT...'

Light goes green, I wait to see... HE'S ON IT! and after a teeny tiny (1/4 car) deficit from the delay... (Like he wasn't goin'...) I crushed him out of the whole, pulling him hard to 60mph where I shut it down... with the best part of a car on him.

On the whole though, it was exciting to tangle with such an icon of speed, even if it was lookin' pretty rough; and Dude was great, giving a thumbs up before he turned off; and to be fair, by the looks of it, the car hadn't seen much TLC and it was still pullin' very respectably... I'd say it would give that 350Z in the other thread a run for it's money and that ain't bad at all for a car that hasn't been produced for 22 years.

And FTR: that knock I mentioned turned out to be a bent Push-rod and a broken valve spring, got those fixed and she's purrin' again... and yeah: I'm still lovin' the 4:10s... "Gear is GOOD!"

Last edited by OVA1; 01-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That must have been a stock GN .Most of the GN's run's 11's.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

By the looks of her, I rather imagine it was... what I know to a certainty is that she was old and sadly, for at least the last fair bit of her life, she had been put up wet and left for dead and I expect that if she ever pulled 11s, those days are behind her, short of some serious TLC in the rebuild dept...

She was rough; her paint looked like it had had the 'Touch up by Caan'... and it can't be said enough; that is at LEAST a 22 year old car... which didn't look like anyone had spent any serious time or coin in keeping her together, but she was still pullin' strong.

Hey... who knows... it was a very short couple of runs and she didn't sink into the rear view as I expected she would when I thought she was an old Monte... I expect this a result of Dude having gotten that turbo spooled up... by the time I threw the hammer, but I did manage to start to pull on her just before the light changed.

The hole was another thing entirely... and I can tell you that it's unlikely that the turbo would have bought back the losses she had accumulated out of the hole, over on the big end... certainly not in the 1/8th mile. I got out of it at 60mph and that's probably 350ish feet...

But a kill's a kill and them's the facts...

And I will tell you this... I'd LOVE to see that Dude over to the track... he'd be a big hit for sure and I'd run him as many times as he cared to stage up, for better or worse... I just thought it was great to see one on the road, and still lookin' to tee it up. It didn't last long, but it made the whole drive worthwhile... sorta like a high school 'date'... "If ya know what I mean..."

Last edited by OVA1; 01-29-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Nice kill.. but shutting down at 60?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

^ yea unless that was traffic limited i bet he woulda came around you on the big end. he's boosted and you have an LT1 [ not ******* the LT1, its just not known to be a big end screamer like the LS or other newer motors]
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Good kill but if I see one on the street I'm damn sure going to ask for the hit. Them cars can be down right nasty and your stock 13 sec one looks the same as a 10.0 one.

-Mark
Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

When my car was compleatly stock i tuned it to a 12.30 101. I seen other stock gn run deep into the 11 stock turbo a good converter and stickys.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well obviously a converter and stickies would make that not stock now wouldn't it..

Last edited by Zac_Speed; 01-29-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Nice kill.. but shutting down at 60?
LOL... Man it was a 45 mph road and deep in injun country... those that find themselves doing 80 down Pine-Ridge and Airport in Naples are of three potential breeds...

1- They're not from here.
2- They're from here and are cops running down that tourists noted above...
3- Dad's paying the tickets and the insurance... and they haven't been busted yet.

It'$ really bad here now and getting busted where they can prove you're racing is a felony; which could cost ya your car; and while that seems pretty harsh, it only seems that way until they explain the 15 years you could end up doin'...

And I'm 48 years old... 'Boys will be Boys' played out for me a very LONG TIME AGO... and it's true; I don't know whose in that car and if I'm encouraging some kid to go rippin' down the road and he gets hurt or God fobid hurts someone else... that just ain't cool... no matter how ya slice it.

So I get out at 60 and I don't give a red rats @$$ what it is I'm runnin or where I'm at.

But I do understand the question tho'... If I weren't from here, I'd no doubt be wonderin' myself.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Fair enough. I was just curious since some people start their roll from 60...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
^ yea unless that was traffic limited i bet he woulda came around you on the big end. he's boosted and you have an LT1 [ not ******* the LT1, its just not known to be a big end screamer like the LS or other newer motors]
Oh it's not... I'm rigged from the cam to the gears for diggin' hard from the hole... Comp rates the 466 for low end and mid-range and that is where she shines... but that's where I play; our tracks an 1/8 mile and there's just no where we can take it to speed without the near certainty of passing a cop either coming or going...

If you guys haven't been to Naples, it's a nice town... but we don't like trouble here, so we hired what seems like every other person to be a cop... and guess what... "we don't get much trouble around here...' which is good to a freakin' point.

Setup for the drags, I've had my car to 145 and it's a death trap... it was much better when I had the 20s wrapped around her and all the anti-sway gear... but even THEN, with the tees off, my fuel burn was probably similar to the Fighter jet... 3 or 4 minutes at 145 would suck up about 1/4 tank if you started at the 1/2.

Now what ya need to know is that I started with between 3/4 and full and it took me to 1/2 to get where I felt like I could run her hard for 3 or 4 minutes... and by the time I found a gas station on the way back I was pretty close to walkin'...

But it was a gas... I love the drags now and that usually more than does it for me... I just haven't been to the track in over two weeks and Sunday I just felt the need... and had to get out.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Good kill but if I see one on the street I'm damn sure going to ask for the hit. Them cars can be down right nasty and your stock 13 sec one looks the same as a 10.0 one.

-Mark
LOL.. Man I know the feelin'... I'll be honest and tell ya straight up, when Dude pulled up and flashed that 'Grand National' badge... I puckered right up. It's was very similar to the evening I had a 66 or 67 Shelby GT 500 roll next to me... SMOKIN' HOT... the exhaust idle note had a crushing thump and it had to be a frame off... she was beautiful; but that dude wasn't runnin', period... despite my best efforts to encourage him.

Like I said, I hadn't ever even SEEN A Grand National in person, to the best of my knowledge and everything I've read said: "BAD *****..." LOL... But it was cool and the driver was just as nice as he could be... he looked to be around my age, maybe a little younger, late 30s hispanic guy and he wasn't taken anything too seriously. But it was great to tangle with one and actually get away with it.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, I actually had almost the same thing happen to me once years ago (before I had my 05). I had what looked (to me) like this black 80's Monte riding the *** of my lil 98 sixxer for a couple of miles. So I finally had enough and jammed down on the gas. As soon as the left lane cleared of oncoming traffic, I see him yank over and gun it. I could hear a high pitched noise.....didn't sound like a V8 I thought. And there it went......passed by me so fast I thought he was gonna suck the paint off my Stang! That was when I got a better look at it.........Buick GN, even had the factory style black rims on it. I didn't know much about them back then. I later looked'em up and figured out why it sounded so weird.......it DIDN'T have a V8. I thought that was kinda cool.

Cool little skirmish for you though, at least you had a little something for him.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Good kill but if I see one on the street I'm damn sure going to ask for the hit.
They aren't THAT fast.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I rolled up on a GN with wide back tires and 2 gauges on the pillar. I turned around to go after him and we lined up next to eachother at a redlight. He had to feel my car camming with the turn downs but he wouldn't look over. I reved at him and he looked over and I pointed forward. He laughed and looked away. Light turned green and I launched but he didn't go. I put it into 2nd gear and he punches it as he gets along side me. So I punch it too but I'm low in the RPMS. Buy the time I shifted to 3rd I had a carlength on him and by the time I shifted to 4th I had 6 or so carlengths on him. I gave him a thumbs up later but he didn't return it. Guess someone's feelings were hurt.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
They aren't THAT fast.
I think he means you never know if its a 13 sec car or a 9 sec car. You get into it with the wrong one it could be ugly.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

My little Brother has an '87 in real good shape. Nice car but mainly stock still. I think his best is mid 12's. If they're built and tuned they can be a handfull. They launch real well if brake boosted off the line. Great weight transfer.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

quite a few around here that seem to be stock but have 10sec slips
Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Like previously posted you can't tell the difference between a 13 or 9 sec GN. I was at one of my local tracks and a guy pulls up with an enclosed trailer and I have my t-type sitting there and when he opens his trailer I expect to see some big tire car or something and out pops a white t-type. Mines is silver. I had just made a 12.10 pass and the guy saw me run when he was paying to get in the track and we started talking. His car wasn't your grandpa's regal. I walked him to the staging lanes with his car. He launches and pulls the wheels about 3 feet in the air and this car is rolling down the track the time board puts up 9.60 at 141 and I'm like DAMN!

Later on he makes one pass and pulls his car beside his trailer. He tells me to pulls my car behind his trailer in the light since it was getting dark outside. We keep talking and he tells me some things to do to my car and this stang runs down the track we look at time board and there was no time and we find that the car had N/T on the glass. It looked like a high to mid 11 sec pass but you really cant tell without the time board display.

Well one of the guys with the stang walks up to us and asks the guy I am talking to to race for some money. Well this guy must of got the cars confused since mine was in front of the trailer. The guy I am talking to says how much and the other guy says $500 and they bet.

Iam laughing with my buddies that he must of confused us and picked a race with a mid 9 sec car. They race and it was no competition that t-type walked him and took his money. When they both come back to the pits the mustang guy reluctantly gives up the money and the guy with the white t-type is laughing to me because we look over at their crew and everybody is yelling at the guy who set-up the race and you can hear him say "They look the same! I thought I picked the slow one!" The guy I was talking to was still laughing and he handed me 100 bucks saying this is the most fun he has had in awhile. He made some easy money just from me being there.

So, never ASSUME any car unless you are 100% sure that is the car.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Like previously posted you can't tell the difference between a 13 or 9 sec GN. I was at one of my local tracks and a guy pulls up with an enclosed trailer and I have my t-type sitting there and when he opens his trailer I expect to see some big tire car or something and out pops a white t-type. Mines is silver. I had just made a 12.10 pass and the guy saw me run when he was paying to get in the track and we started talking. His car wasn't your grandpa's regal. I walked him to the staging lanes with his car. He launches and pulls the wheels about 3 feet in the air and this car is rolling down the track the time board puts up 9.60 at 141 and I'm like DAMN!

Later on he makes one pass and pulls his car beside his trailer. He tells me to pulls my car behind his trailer in the light since it was getting dark outside. We keep talking and he tells me some things to do to my car and this stang runs down the track we look at time board and there was no time and we find that the car had N/T on the glass. It looked like a high to mid 11 sec pass but you really cant tell without the time board display.

Well one of the guys with the stang walks up to us and asks the guy I am talking to to race for some money. Well this guy must of got the cars confused since mine was in front of the trailer. The guy I am talking to says how much and the other guy says $500 and they bet.

Iam laughing with my buddies that he must of confused us and picked a race with a mid 9 sec car. They race and it was no competition that t-type walked him and took his money. When they both come back to the pits the mustang guy reluctantly gives up the money and the guy with the white t-type is laughing to me because we look over at their crew and everybody is yelling at the guy who set-up the race and you can hear him say "They look the same! I thought I picked the slow one!" The guy I was talking to was still laughing and he handed me 100 bucks saying this is the most fun he has had in awhile. He made some easy money just from me being there.

So, never ASSUME any car unless you are 100% sure that is the car.

DOooAH!

ROFLMNAO... Now THAT IS JUST WRONG!

Hilarious... but so very VERY Wrong.