Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I finally raced a subaru

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally raced a subaru

on my way home from work with a buddy in the car. I see a lowered subaru wrx up ahead and told my friend that i wanted to run him because i haven't ran one b4.

We crusied at about 70 and i was seeing if he would downshift when i got next to him. He didn't so i said **** it, ill play with him. so i down shift to 4th at 80 and start teasing him. He finally downshifts and gives in.
He got the jump and jumped out about 1 and a half cars and im slowly reeling him in, by the time im at 125 im a half car ahead still pulling.

I thought i was gonna get beat. We came to a light and i asked him what he had done. He said upgraded turbo to 14lbs, down pipe, full exhaust, and intake. I was happy since my car only has a CAI and some race mufflers.
He then asked, is that an ls1?... I said yea. he said... Man, Those things are beasts! and we parted our seperate ways.

Anyways, not sure if i should be too proud of this kill. I dont know what these cars run stock or how many psi then run at stock. Dont know too much about the subaru's. He was alone too, and i had my 200lb friend. I know it would have been a different outcome if it was from a dig. Let me know whether or not this is a good kill in your opinon. Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so that just happened tonight? id say good kill bc those cars with more boost can be a handfull..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28hustle
so that just happened tonight? id say good kill bc those cars with more boost can be a handfull..
yup, about 2 hours ago
Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure they run 13 pounds of boost stock, would be weird to run a bigger snail at stock boost.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Actually 14.5 psi is stock boost. Really no reason for him to be running that low of boost that I can think of. Unless he didn't have enough fuel for more boost. Good kill OP.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same boost levels, with a larger turbo, would still yeild more power, no? Could be a "small" turbo, like STI turbo on a WRX (I believe they have different turbos). Good kills OP. When my friend mods up his 06 some more, I want a shot at him. His is a pretty decent little ride.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

nope, thats a good kill bro! good job!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

why didnt you down shift to 3rd? i'm an auto driver but i would think you would be able to easily hit the sweet spot in 3rd and that woulda put you out on him much more IMHO.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
The same boost levels, with a larger turbo, would still yeild more power, no? Could be a "small" turbo, like STI turbo on a WRX (I believe they have different turbos). Good kills OP. When my friend mods up his 06 some more, I want a shot at him. His is a pretty decent little ride.
No.... doesn't matter how large of a turbo, at the same boost level, the car is going to make the same power.... think about it - with the smaller turbo, it has to spin faster to supply 14psi, but as long as the motor is seeing that 14psi, then its going to make X hp... with a larger turbo, it won't have to work as hard, but as long as 14psi is going into the engine, then X hp is what's going to be made....

The difference is how much air flow a specific turbo can make, and also WHEN that turbo can supply 14psi to the engine... smaller one will supply it quicker, but may not be able to supply a big engine with 14psi of air at 6500 rpms... a large one will take longer to get moving, and therefore take longer to get that 14psi to the motor, but will be able to sustain that psi for longer....

good kill OP
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Oh, I kinda understand now. I've seen others post though....10 psi on x turbo, is different than 10 psi on y turbo...psi is just a number...yada yada. But it makes since, since the wastegate is regulating x amount of air, and dumping the rest.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
No.... doesn't matter how large of a turbo, at the same boost level, the car is going to make the same power.... think about it - with the smaller turbo, it has to spin faster to supply 14psi, but as long as the motor is seeing that 14psi, then its going to make X hp... with a larger turbo, it won't have to work as hard, but as long as 14psi is going into the engine, then X hp is what's going to be made....

The difference is how much air flow a specific turbo can make, and also WHEN that turbo can supply 14psi to the engine... smaller one will supply it quicker, but may not be able to supply a big engine with 14psi of air at 6500 rpms... a large one will take longer to get moving, and therefore take longer to get that 14psi to the motor, but will be able to sustain that psi for longer....

good kill OP

So 14 psi in a 1" tube is the same CFM as 14 psi in a 4" tube? No, sorry you are wrong. It is much more CFM in a larger turbo, and im surprised no one has said anything about that. I work with a mechanical engineer and had him school me at this before. . .
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
So 14 psi in a 1" tube is the same CFM as 14 psi in a 4" tube? No, sorry you are wrong. It is much more CFM in a larger turbo, and im surprised no one has said anything about that. I work with a mechanical engineer and had him school me at this before. . .
PSI is measured at the intake manifold not at the turbine housing..... if you put a bigger turbo on the same engine (intake manifold) then 14psi is 14psi - the "tube" size hasn't changed.... as said above, the wastegate will open an release and not allow the turbo to spin any faster.....

You're "tube" comparison would be similar to a change in heads (or intake manifold, etc etc).... 14psi on a X head will make the same horsepower as 10psi on Y head, b/c Y head flows more air, adn the pressure needed to make a certain horsepower is less....

so you're either confused about yoru friends argument, or he needs to go back to school.... i built a turbo car, and if you knew anything about my profession, you'd know that math is not my weak point....

want me to make it clearer? a small turbo may have to spin at 15,000 rpm to make 500cfm of air, while a large turbo only has to spin 10,000 rpm to make 500cfm of air... either way, 500cfm of air is going into the intake manifold, at which point the wastegate is opening to keep the turbo from spinning any faster..... lets assume that this 500cfm of air is making 14psi in the motor, and thus the engine makes 10,000hp (ricer math ) ... then no matter which turbo its coming from, its still only getting 500cfm (14psi) so its going to make 10,000 hp

Last edited by SonofaBish; 03-02-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Oh, I kinda understand now. I've seen others post though....10 psi on x turbo, is different than 10 psi on y turbo...psi is just a number...yada yada. But it makes since, since the wastegate is regulating x amount of air, and dumping the rest.
just fyi, this argument is valid with turbo vs. supercharger b/c of the difference in efficiency b/w superchargers, and the drag that a supercharger puts on an engine....

but in this case, we're comparing turbo to turbo
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

PSI is measured at the intake manifold
Ok that actually makes more sense. But if you were to measure PSI in the turbo, the size would make a difference correct? He just explained it to me quickly one day, but what you said does make sense, because the pressure sensor is not in the turb.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Ohhh snap benny got ript!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Ok that actually makes more sense. But if you were to measure PSI in the turbo, the size would make a difference correct? He just explained it to me quickly one day, but what you said does make sense, because the pressure sensor is not in the turb.
you are thinking correctly now, and that's why turbos aren't rated by psi, they're rated by how much airflow they can achieve....

now go school your co-worker... and tell him an Actuary sent you! lol
Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

and honestly, i don't know that there's anyway to measure the psi "in the turbo"... the turbo is going to flow a certain amount of air at a certain rpm... something is making me want to say that you can't measure the psi until the airflow meets some sort of resistance - e.g. an intercooler or an intake manifold, etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheTugBoat
Ohhh snap benny got ript!
haha yes i did. . . time to read up some more!

you are thinking correctly now, and that's why turbos aren't rated by psi, they're rated by how much airflow they can achieve....

now go school your co-worker... and tell him an Actuary sent you! lol
haha will do man, thanks for straightening me out!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

haha yes i did. . . time to read up some more!

haha will do man, thanks for straightening me out!
No prob bro ... just remember it, that way you can school dudes when they come spewing **** out their asses.... you know, the type of d-bags that would sit here and argue with you for the sake of arguing...
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

No prob bro ... just remember it, that way you can school dudes when they come spewing **** out their asses.... you know, the type of d-bags that would sit here and argue with you for the sake of arguing...
yea very true, i was like 45% right about the CFM part, but the boost part being that the boost isnt measured in the turbo was the part i let pass me by while thinking as i replied haha

Quick Reply: I finally raced a subaru