Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a procharged/cammed c5 today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Ran a procharged/cammed c5 today...

Drove through town datalogging after fixing a problem I've had since the car was running (or I hope *crosses fingers*) and saw a black c5 vette at the carwash. Small town so a vette is a decent deal to see, much less one with a slight cowl hood owned by a known hotrodder. I've heard stories. I heard it was an ls6 swap with an unknown cam over .580 lift.

It's actually the guy I bought my car from about 8 years ago. He looks my swap over smiling and asks if I want to line em up. I figured "what the hell" and headed to the bypass to receive my *** whoopin'.

After waiting on a damn train for 10 minutes getting heat soaked to hell (100*+ and almost too humid to breathe) we get across to the town bypass.

He does a quick burnout and the damn thing sounds like pure sex then we line up. He tells me on three and starts the honks, on 2 I try to get into the throttle a hair but the brakes slip and I roll a hair so I let off, he hits third honk so I nail it and barely spin at all as normal.

By the top of first I glance over and no vette...start to think he didn't go cause I technically jumped a few inches but stay in it. Catch a glimpse of him and some smoke in the rearview and realize what happened...so I keep my foot buried deep.

Get a hard 1-2 scratch, roll up through second and get a firm 3rd gear. I hear him coming over my exhaust (its a pretty quiet setup) but I stay in it. Look over at my EFI which is logging and see 110 on the speedo (mine isn't connected to the electric tranny yet) and just as I look up from the screen see a black blur pass me like I'm doing 50.

I see him tap the brakes and I shut it down, pull back and he has his hood popped to show me the super charger. Up until I heard the whine as he passed I thought he was cam/bolt on ls6. Turns out the ls6 is in his camaro, the vette is pushing 12lbs (or so he says).

Overall it was a pretty fun little run, I got a kick out of it.

CLIFFNOTES: my car versus c5 vette believed to have a cammed/bolt on ls6 swap, vette spins to hell and back while I beat him to a little over 110 and get passed like I'm 50 mph traffic, vette turns out to be procharged pushing 12lbs

So I am torn on calling it a loss or a win, cause technically 110 should be a 1/4 for my car hehe
Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice death, as long as you were still on it when he passed you i would call it a loss. I love your car by the way.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i would call it a death too but for sure one to be proud of
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Good death, finally got your missing horse power back?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

it seems to be running better, most importantly its not short shifting and slipping the 2-3, still needs a thorough tuning but that will come when I get a wideband

I was joking about the win thing, I just thought it was kinda funny...he was laughing when he got out of his car first thing he said was "damn that thing moves better, I didn't think I was gonna catch you"
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Very respectable death. That Chevelle is really nice man, keep it up.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 AM
11 Second Club

haha we ended up running each other again at the track tonight

pretty terrible runs...track has been closed for over a year so it wasn't hooking at all, my car NEVER spins on clean dry pavement of any sort and I could blow through first gear and get sideways going to second

then my cooling fan circuit breaker hung open so I nearly overheated, temps hit 230* in the staging lanes before I got the fan to come on a minute

but anyway...he ran a 8.2@91 or so to my 8.9@83

traction was nonexistent, we did better on the street haha
Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Great race! As for whether it was a win or not, I gotta say no unless there was a predetermined finish line. Badass setup, btw!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool story. Great car btw.

How can the track be that bad?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

I went to the drivers meeting 2 weeks ago and it was white concrete, barely any black down the strip at all

so what it seemed like was the slick cars were putting down rubber and the street cars were tearing that rubber back up creating a greasy mess of some sort that even VHT couldn't glue back together

I don't know what they did but last night the track was a million times better...still not perfect but everyone was sticking to the point you could call it "fair" track prep instead of the nightmare we had the night before

next week should be pretty good, hope I have the money to go back
Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

oh forgot, I talked to him some more at the track and the car was built by Corvettes of Tulsa and supposedly makes 570rwhp

he was originally wanting to toy with me because a local z28 owner told him I only beat him by a car (it was a stock z28 auto with a shift kit and I beat him by no less than 6 cars from 0-115 in drive with the car shifting at 5800)

so needless to say he wasn't planning on having to struggle so hard to catch me before we ran out of room

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 07-12-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
oh forgot, I talked to him some more at the track and the car was built by Corvettes of Tulsa and supposedly makes 570rwhp

he was originally wanting to toy with me because a local z28 owner told him I only beat him by a car (it was a stock z28 auto with a shift kit and I beat him by no less than 6 cars from 0-115 in drive with the car shifting at 5800)

so needless to say he wasn't planning on having to struggle so hard to catch me before we ran out of room
I think someone was a little butthurt

Let us know how the track run goes.