Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Playing around with a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Playing around with a Mustang

Little different story here, not a straight line race or even a race per se. Yesterday I went to the all Firebird show in Saratoga Springs, NY. 150+ Firebirds from all years came out, great show. After the show I decided to cruise some back roads in the area. Found a nice twisty road along the shore of Great Sacandaga Lake. The road was pretty much empty so I was moving at a pretty good clip. A caught a glimpse of a yellow and black car when the road straightened out briefly, and it looked like a new body style Mustang GT. With every little straight piece of road I could see I was slowly closing on him, although he was obviously having some fun too. Eventually I caught up and was pacing him. The road straightened out again for a little bit longer stretch and there was a passing zone, so I decided to give him a little poke. I flipped on the blinker and matted it, giving him an earful of the Magnaflow as I passed him. At first he just stayed back, but then after a minute or two I realized he was closing the gap. I sped up a little and he kept closing. So with him now on my tail I decided to push the car as hard as I could. Keep in mind this is a very twisty road with lots of little hills too. I was taking every corner pushing the car right to the edge of it's cornering limits (luckily I have drag radials out back) and exiting turns pretty hard. The LT1 was great for this, plenty of torque to power out of turns and up hills. We kept going like this for for probably 5-10 minutes, we can thank our lucky stars we didn't see any cops! Eventually he reached his destination and I saw him slow down and pull off. I gave him a wave as I drove off. I've gotta say, that Mustang did a pretty good job of hanging with my car through all those turns, considering I've got more displacement and lots of grip. So yeah, not your typical street race but definitely a good time.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like good fun, but for the record DRs aren't exactly known for being stellar tires for handling.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

nor are f-bodys/mustangs known for handling.. good kill tho
Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^
word
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
***Repost Police***

My old '01 could hold its own... my old (stock) '98 GT however wasn't all that great.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
nor are f-bodys/mustangs known for handling.. good kill tho
Mine handles quite well stock. Could definitely be better though.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

good wheel and tire combo and a few good suspension ugrades and i think they do pretty well. did anyway, kinda hard to exit a corner after the stall converter lol
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Good Story
Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Sounds like good fun, but for the record DRs aren't exactly known for being stellar tires for handling.
Well, the rap on them is the sidewall flex, but the thing is, they might flex but ultimately they're not going anywhere, they stay stuck. Once you get used to the initial flex you can push the car very hard without fear of it getting loose, the front tires will loose traction first and it will understeer. Going from regular high performance all season tires all around to Nitto 555s on the front and 555Rs on the rear made a huge difference in the car's balance, much more predictable and easier to hammer on.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
***Repost Police***

I had a set of 245-width front and 275-width rear Falken Azenis RT-615s on my Mustang for about a year... holy ****