Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Silverado suffers slow death to 99 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Silverado suffers slow death to 99 Cobra

I never seem to get into any trouble when I'm in the Z28, but for some reason my X-cab Silverado attracts people to start speed contests. You can barely tell that my truck even has a cam in it, I guess the brushguard and mud tires **** people off?

I was merging with traffic on a local 6 lane and decided to get ahead of a few cars and move into a large opening in traffic.

I was slowly passing cars but decided to punch it and get ahead of a black '99 or so Cobra. I was nearly parallel to his front fenders, and could see him downshift to what I believe was fourth and go full throttle.

His car sounded stock as can be, and it slooooooowly crept by me as I kept my foot buried and the truck in overdrive. He (fat guy in his late 40's) looked at me with a "No way you're getting past me" smirk.

I put my hand out the window and gave him the "Eh, big deal" hand motion and shrug. I think he got the point that it wasn't impressive to slowly creep past my extended cab 4x on Swampers.

Yeah it was a short and none too exciting event, but I was mystified that the Cobra driver didn't grab third and try to put the car in its powerband. Also was amused by the fact that he had a **** eating grin like he was blowing my doors off.

I had the same thing happen with a Sentra SER Spec V, but I got the jump and embarassed him until I had to turn off. God, I want to turbo my truck!!!

I wish I was in my car!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too funny
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
too funny
Thanks, it amused me. And my friends find it humorous.

My truck ran 15.85 with a CAI, catback, and Hypertech on a 90 degree day, so I'm not sure what it runs now with a built trans, cam, etc. I'm guessing that he'd have a much better showing if he had a clue about his car.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I put my hand out the window and gave him the "Eh, big deal" hand motion and shrug.
Seriously asking... what hand motion is that? I've never heard of that.

Good kill. That guy probably has never spun that motor north of 6k. lol. How much power did that cam give you? I have a silverado quad cab with the 5.3 that I use for tow. That would be cool to have it lope and give me more power.

-Mark
Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

I knew bitemark would be in here... appropriately as good as he runs. Yea..guy prolly short shifted or over revved and granny shifted. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to get outrun by a truck. Nonetheless, sounds like the truck moves a good bit better than the 15.85 you posted before the cam.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm wondering too about the hand motion...

nice truck action!!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

i can picture this hand gesture
Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I'm wondering too about the hand motion...
Ha ha, it's probably a Northeastern PA thing or a Lithuanian thing from my dad's side of the family.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
I knew bitemark would be in here... appropriately as good as he runs. Yea..guy prolly short shifted or over revved and granny shifted. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to get outrun by a truck. Nonetheless, sounds like the truck moves a good bit better than the 15.85 you posted before the cam.
Its all good. Any non s/c cobra is slow in stock form. I'm not gonna argue that. lol. There's a guy on a local board that has a shortcab 1500 (5.3L) with a cam and spray and runs 11.80's. Nasty lil truck.

-Mark
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Teching In

cobras are awesome