Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stock motor ZX-14 versus 8 second Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stock motor ZX-14 versus 8 second Mustang

Guy I know on a bike forum just posted this: goes to show that street racing is a whole different ball game than track racing. Bike rider is a local street racing veteran: Mustang is owned and driven by Dwayne James, co-owner of Hellion Racing. These two had been going back n forth online about street versus track racing and it led to this race: (this race was for bragging rights, pure and simple. The $100 is merely symbolic). Remember that the bike DID run 10.0sec at a track- once. Considering that well ridden basic bolton ZX-14's usually trap in the 150-155mph range...

ZX14 vs 8sec Turbo Fox-Body for $100 Truestreetcar - Car Videos on StreetFire

quote from the rider when told about this post: "you guys that follow car racing might know the owner of this car his name is Dwayne James he is one of the owners of Hellion racing and Hellion turbo the cars he has are no joke but this was a street race and i knew that they could not put all there power down.

And ya we have had some bad blood for some time with each other with alot of **** talking back and forth between us."

Found out from a little birdy that Smoke (bike rider) also has a small shot of nitrous, but he's mum on whether he used it.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was with the burnout? Seemed like the mustang never even reached full throttle.

Altho big props for running such a beast of the street.

Seems VERY tame for an 8 sec car.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately it looked like they both cut 2.0 60fts and the Mustang never lifted the wheels.

Even far worse was that was a seriously dusty, unprepped surface and VERY dangerous to be running that kind of power there. That was just plain stupid and meaningless IMO.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry but that didn't seem like a 8 second Fox body. A 8 second car on a dusty road like that would be all over the road I would think. The video did make me laugh though.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
What was with the burnout? Seemed like the mustang never even reached full throttle.
What are you talking about!? That burnout was SICK !!!!!!! Hell my monitor still smells like tire smoke!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stopsign32v
what are you talking about!? That burnout was sick !!!!!!! Hell my monitor still smells like tire smoke!

Even Mr. Force would have been proud
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was the worst race I have ever seen, waste of time watching it. Def a staged race IMO.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

The black dot floating around in the middle of the video pissed me off. I stared at that for 2 minutes and ignored whatever the video was actually about.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
The black dot floating around in the middle of the video pissed me off. I stared at that for 2 minutes and ignored whatever the video was actually about.

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 10-14-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

I was expecting more honestly...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I was expecting more honestly...
Actually, so was I: If I know Smoke, he got to set the location of the "street race" by making the other guy call him out, giving him the choice of location. And if I was gonna race a car faster than my bike, I also would have picked a rough, dusty road like that- it takes away what has to be a wheels up holeshot advantage from the car and affects the bike much less- though the bike did seem to have more traction problems than the car.

My guess is the 'stang mechanic dialed back the boost to try and keep traction, and obviously dialed back too much. Win is a win though!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Actually, so was I: If I know Smoke, he got to set the location of the "street race" by making the other guy call him out, giving him the choice of location. And if I was gonna race a car faster than my bike, I also would have picked a rough, dusty road like that- it takes away what has to be a wheels up holeshot advantage from the car and affects the bike much less- though the bike did seem to have more traction problems than the car.

My guess is the 'stang mechanic dialed back the boost to try and keep traction, and obviously dialed back too much. Win is a win though!
If you have an 8 second turbo mustang why would you not bring your own prep?

Propane tank w/weed killer and pimp juice.... Would have at least got him out of the hole.

Then again maybe he thought all that rubber he laid would get him too hook
Old 10-14-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Well that was underwhelming.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
If you have an 8 second turbo mustang why would you not bring your own prep?

Propane tank w/weed killer and pimp juice.... Would have at least got him out of the hole.

Then again maybe he thought all that rubber he laid would get him too hook
The car that was brought out is owned by a local shop, they won $250 bucks at the dragstrip just an hour before this street race in a small race we had so the $100 wasn't coming out of their pocket. They didn't want to leave on the T-brake because they thought it would roast the tires, the driver is working on getting his NHRA license and has gone a best of 8.90 IIRC. The previous owner went a best of 8.60 here in Abq. The red car will be out this Sunday, and Dwane James will be driving it
Old 10-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black98Z28
The car that was brought out is owned by a local shop, they won $250 bucks at the dragstrip just an hour before this street race in a small race we had so the $100 wasn't coming out of their pocket. They didn't want to leave on the T-brake because they thought it would roast the tires, the driver is working on getting his NHRA license and has gone a best of 8.90 IIRC. The previous owner went a best of 8.60 here in Abq. The red car will be out this Sunday, and Dwane James will be driving it
I just knew that if I posted this video on here that someone would know the car or guys involved! Smoke isn't telling if he used his nitrous during the run: do you know if he was? Or more probably: did you guys even know he had nitrous? have him pop his seat off if he denies it.

I figured he didnt do a big burnout because without a water box to help break the tires loose, it becomes VERY easy to break rear end parts trying to spin slicks on dry ground- even with a properly built rearend. Seen it happen twice.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I just knew that if I posted this video on here that someone would know the car or guys involved! Smoke isn't telling if he used his nitrous during the run: do you know if he was? Or more probably: did you guys even know he had nitrous? have him pop his seat off if he denies it.

I figured he didnt do a big burnout because without a water box to help break the tires loose, it becomes VERY easy to break rear end parts trying to spin slicks on dry ground- even with a properly built rearend. Seen it happen twice.
He mounts the bottle on the side, he is a good friend of mine, he was not spraying on that run. He knows how to launch that thing pretty good, and takes a lot of peoples $ out there at that same spot.