Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Singled Supra vs SLP455-equipped GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Singled Supra vs SLP455-equipped GTO

Driving my buddy home last night from a night of street tuning my car, we drove by a GTO going the other direction. He then turns around and follows me. My buddy and I had to go to work early next day, but we could not resist a good race. The GTO guy follows me and I roll my window down and signal we pull over to the next gas station. I get out, and one of his passengers gets out as well, and it was a guy I met last year (he has an 85 Supra). Sweet. The driver had a full car of passengers. I told him that I was gonna ask if he wanted to run 'em, but since he had a full car, I told him we could do it some other day, it's all good. He said he had around 450 hp. However, everyone was fine with running, so we head out to the highway. I was a little nervous afterall, since my tune is not close to optimum at all and I haven't really pushed the car with my current mods, but this will give us a good benchmark when we dyno tune next week.

1st race
40 roll- I was in third and he was as well. I tried brake boosting, but didn't build much boost at all (barely 3000 rpms haha). At the third honk, he jumped 1.5 cars ahead (no replacement for displacement). By the time I hit boost and at the end of third, I was probably 1-1.5 cars ahead. Shifted to 4th to 120 and I was well ahead don't know the length. He told me later that he didn't realize we started so low, he should have been in second (I agree)

2nd race
50-55 roll(?-not sure)- Same thing as before, but I was able to brake boost better, his jump was probably 3/4 car. As I hit full boost, my lane turns to **** and it was uneven.. WTF... Shifted to fourth... still unstable as ****... short shifted to fifth... I won by 1.5-2 cars, but I slowed down a lot. Better safe than sorry. The guy with a 85 Supra actually said he saw my car get really loose when I hit the bumps on the road...

3rd race
Another 40 roll... this time we're both in 2nd. We floor it, he gets about a half car length jump. Boost hits and my car brakes loose, and kinda goes sideways and roast the tires (never ever happened before~ guess tune is better than I thought ), shifted to third, but it was still unstable. I decided to quit, he was well ahead by then- no way I'm catching him.

GTO- SLP 455 performance pack
Supra- PTE 67 single turbo, standalone, NO meth, 100% stock long block and 100% stock fuel system.

Great race. Good guy. He will be modding it even more this winter, so it should be a great rematch next year.

What I need to improve- tune needs to be dialed in; get new, stickier, wider tires (stock 255 widths with street tires FTL); more time behind the wheel to know the car better (first time I really floored the car in 2nd gear, and first time it really broke loose, didn't expect it at all)

<3 GTOs

Last edited by marshallpre1; 10-15-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Good runs, wonder if the outcome woulda different if he was alone.

One thing though, I'm just wondering why it says Supra TT everywhere if you ditched the stock twins for a Single?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Good runs, wonder if the outcome woulda different if he was alone.

One thing though, I'm just wondering why it says Supra TT everywhere if you ditched the stock twins for a Single?
I think the outcome would have been the same. We weigh about the same my 3550lbs vs his 3600 lbs. My power is between 450whp-500whp. His 455HP package is, I think, crankshaft.

By Supra TT, I meant that originally it was TT (six speed + twins +GTE). I'll try to edit it. His car seemed to pull has hard as my car when I was BPU+
Old 10-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed Slow SHO. Good race though: I have a setup close to that SLP 455hp (crank hp) kit and its no joke- lots of improvement for moderate outlay of cash. The LS2 really wakes up when you free up the airflow in & out of the engine!

That being said, Good Kill OP! Mark yet another domestic kill for the Japanese version of the Buick Grand National!

On another subject: know any modded Supra's that have gotten into it with a GT-R yet? A 0-180mph race of those two would be an awesome video!

EDIT: yes, his car is most likely a 455 crank hp SLP package number. Figure at the max a 390rwhp setup. you aint getting 455rwhp without a good sized cam AND a good set of heads (or full ported stockers)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Agreed Slow SHO. Good race though: I have a setup close to that SLP 455hp (crank hp) kit and its no joke- lots of improvement for moderate outlay of cash. The LS2 really wakes up when you free up the airflow in & out of the engine!

That being said, Good Kill OP! Mark yet another domestic kill for the Japanese version of the Buick Grand National!

On another subject: know any modded Supra's that have gotten into it with a GT-R yet? A 0-180mph race of those two would be an awesome video!

EDIT: yes, his car is most likely a 455 crank hp SLP package number. Figure at the max a 390rwhp setup. you aint getting 455rwhp without a good sized cam AND a good set of heads (or full ported stockers)
Thanks

I don't know of any Supra vs GTR races, but I'm sure it's bound to happen sometime. They are making ridiculous power with bolt ons though. It's crazy.

Yep, 390whp for his GTO looks about right. My BPU+ was in that same range. My friend and I discussed it afterwards and realized that without cams, 455 must be crank hp. A cam really wakes these cars up Maybe I should trade my skittle for one haha

Last edited by marshallpre1; 10-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe I should trade my skittle for one haha
no way...just add to the colllection on down the road...that'll be a sweet garage...nice kill/death
Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallpre1
Thanks

I don't know of any Supra vs GTR races, but I'm sure it's bound to happen sometime. They are making ridiculous power with bolt ons though. It's crazy.

Yep, 390whp for his GTO looks about right. My BPU+ was in that same range. My friend and I discussed it afterwards and realized that without cams, 455 must be crank hp. Cams really wake these cars up Maybe I should trade my skittle for one haha
good kill but FYI, LSx's only have 1 cam
Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
good kill but FYI, LSx's only have 1 cam
Oh thanks. I forgot! The real reason I joined this forum back in the day was for the kill section and the marketplace (was looking at WS6's)

Fixed
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill. Don't wanna take any credit away from you but the SLP package is a joke. Got any pics of the Supra you can post?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls 2 goat
Nice kill. Don't wanna take any credit away from you but the SLP package is a joke. Got any pics of the Supra you can post?
I kinda figured the same as well.. the 455 HP is probably a reach.. even at the crank.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks. Yeah, I'll post some pics when I get home. Maybe you're right about the hp, IDK. My car felt pretty good, but we'll see my numbers next week. I recently (2 months ago) put down 420whp on a mustang dyno @ 16 psi or so. That tune was rough... super rich, low timing. I'm just hoping for 480-500whp when I tune on a dynojet next week. Cams and a meth tune is coming next spring... maybe knocking on 600whp?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Here is the package:

SLP 160º Thermostat (100228)
SLP High-Flow Air Filter (25013)
SLP Harmonic Balancer/Under-drive Pulley (100226)
SLP Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers w/PowerFlo-X Crossover/High-Flow Cats (30168)
SLP Loud Mouth Cat-Back Exhaust System (31560)
SLP 1.85 Rocker Arm Package (51185)
SLP Custom PCM Tuning (60060)
SLP 455 HP Bobcat Fender Badges (pair)

Maybe 370 ish to the wheels. Its an overpriced joke.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
I kinda figured the same as well.. the 455 HP is probably a reach.. even at the crank.
It is. And its retardadly expensive too for what it is. Its almost $4000 for essentially full exhaust, CAI and a **** can tune.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Here is the package:

SLP 160º Thermostat (100228)
SLP High-Flow Air Filter (25013)
SLP Harmonic Balancer/Under-drive Pulley (100226)
SLP Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers w/PowerFlo-X Crossover/High-Flow Cats (30168)
SLP Loud Mouth Cat-Back Exhaust System (31560)
SLP 1.85 Rocker Arm Package (51185)
SLP Custom PCM Tuning (60060)
SLP 455 HP Bobcat Fender Badges (pair)

Maybe 370 ish to the wheels. Its an overpriced joke.
The rockers give it a .598" lift: combined that with the gains from the underdrive pulley and it should account for maybe 15rwhp. LS2 GTO's are in the 360-380rwhp range with just Long Tube headers, CAI, and tune. Which is why I said at the max 390rwhp.

I do completely agree that the SLP package is a overpriced though. You can do like I did a build your own setup for half the price.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Good kill! Bolt-on LS2 GTO's can be nasty if done right! Sounds like you have a nice setup on your Supra. Good luck with the dyno tune.

His car seemed to pull has hard as my car when I was BPU+
What does BPU+ mean to those of us not familiar with Supras? I know that BPU is basic performance upgrades or something, but what does it actually include and what kind of power is it good for? Also, what does each + mean after it?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
The rockers give it a .598" lift: combined that with the gains from the underdrive pulley and it should account for maybe 15rwhp. LS2 GTO's are in the 360-380rwhp range with just Long Tube headers, CAI, and tune. Which is why I said at the max 390rwhp.

I do completely agree that the SLP package is a overpriced though. You can do like I did a build your own setup for half the price.
With a decent tune yes, possible. Do you really think your getting a optimum tune from SLP though? Either way I think we can agree it was a good kill and the SLP package is a joke.... Oh and if the GTO owner is on here please don't go racing with a car full of people, we are already heavy to begin with.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

With a decent tune yes, possible. Do you really think your getting a optimum tune from SLP though? Either way I think we can agree it was a good kill and the SLP package is a joke.... Oh and if the GTO owner is on here please don't go racing with a car full of people, we are already heavy to begin with unless you are racing SRT8's, new Camaro's, or G8's.
Fixed it for you.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

With a decent tune yes, possible. Do you really think your getting a optimum tune from SLP though? Either way I think we can agree it was a good kill and the SLP package is a joke.... Oh and if the GTO owner is on here please don't go racing with a car full of people, we are already heavy to begin with.
It was a friendly race. I try to present the info/story as clear as day lol. I knew he had a weight disadvantage, which I acknowledged and let him know so. I told him we could have a rematch just him vs. me.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill! Bolt-on LS2 GTO's can be nasty if done right! Sounds like you have a nice setup on your Supra. Good luck with the dyno tune.

What does BPU+ mean to those of us not familiar with Supras? I know that BPU is basic performance upgrades or something, but what does it actually include and what kind of power is it good for? Also, what does each + mean after it?
BPU is just stock twins with a boost controller (usually @ 18psi), downpipe, exhaust, boost controller cut
the +'s stand for additional on top of this~ cams or fmic..
Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

It was a friendly race. I try to present the info/story as clear as day lol. I knew he had a weight disadvantage, which I acknowledged and let him know so. I told him we could have a rematch just him vs. me.
Got you man. I'm not trying to take anything away from you. Even with a you vs him race the outcome will be the same.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:43 PM

BPU is just stock twins with a boost controller (usually @ 18psi), downpipe, exhaust, boost controller cut
the +'s stand for additional on top of this~ cams or fmic..
Thanks! What kind of power do they usually make with BPU mods? What did your + stand for? Was that the setup you made 420 on?

Quick Reply: Singled Supra vs SLP455-equipped GTO