Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What kind of Viper did I run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What kind of Viper did I run?

Thanksgiving day I sadly had to work.

BUT!!!!! On a better note, I got to run a Viper!

As I was about to pull out of the parking lot, just ahead of me I saw a red/black car pass with a huge wing on the back of it. At first I just thought, "What the hell is that POS"... I then thought maybe Miata, etc etc etc.. I was still a good distance from it and in my town it isn't the norm to see a Viper/Ferrari/etc driving down the road.
As I pulled out I realized that it was a Viper, so I pursued just to get a better look.......

I got up closer to it and the license plate read "600 HP". That is ALWAYS an inviting cue so I pursued even longer. I ended up having to go out of my way home to get some o so satisfying turkey, but it was worth it I believe.

We ended up turning onto a two lane road with plenty of road in front of us. I pulled up next to him as we were picking up speed, at this point we were around 30 mph or so. I looked over at him with a smirk on my face and he gave me the usual you get from people driving "exotic/rare" higher HP cars. He gave it a little short burst of gas, maybe 30-45? I did the same and broke loose. When we slowed back down he had somewhat of a confused look on his face. I guess he thought a stock Trans Am shouldn't sound like that nor be able to spin as easily as I did.
He downshifted and looked at me and gave me the "go ahead".. I gave it a bit of gas at first just to let him know I was ready. We kicked it almost at the exact same time, maybe with me getting a slight jump, not quite anything.
We went from around 40-95 and I had a fender on him the entire time. Not sure if he was gaining or losing any ground because I was worried about the road ahead (merging back into 1 lane).

Now, my first thought when I got behind the car was that it was an ACR Viper. After the race, that was not my thoughts. I have beaten a brand new Viper at the track with exhaust and an intake, but thought the ACRs were much faster. Granted I have a major advantage from a dig.
Here are some pics of what I can remember it looking like to the best of my knowledge. I should have payed more attention. My dumb *** didn't even see if there was an "ACR" emblem on the side. I was too busy trying to get him to run me before we ran out of road.

I never got to get a good look at the rims. I don't remember a chrome gas cap, but it could have been there.

Same exact paint job, spoiler, exhaust, tail lights, spoiler lip thing, etc etc.. I just thought surely from a roll with me on motor that I would get pulled on by one of these? Hell, maybe he just couldn't drive? I know the outcome from a dig, but this thing should surely be trapping 125+, no?
I'm wondering if there was ever a Viper made to look like the ACR but was just a base model, or something along that line. Or if the outcome was correct, etc etc..
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was an ACR.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, even if it was an SRT10 made to look like an ACR, all the Vipers from that Gen. have the same 600hp motor. The ACR is only 80 lbs lighter and has the obvious aero differences when compared to a base SRT10(as well as suspension and brake upgrades).
The SRT10 Viper from that Generation has trapped as high as 127mph.
I don't know if he was in the wrong gear, a bad driver, or half asleep.
Doesn't matter though, nice kill.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In a straight line, the ACR is not any faster it's actually slower as the speeds rise due to the huge downforce. The curves is where they shine compared to the base car.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Well, even if it was an SRT10 made to look like an ACR
I highly doubt that would be the case. I can't imagine what Dodge would charge for all of that aero stuff. After that you have the cost of repainting it like an ACR. At that point, you might as well have bought an ACR.

Lemons raced an ACR, which I would definately brag about to all of my friends, but I sure as hell would not expect the outcome to be the same if you by some stroke of luck ran into another one that was willing to race.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt it too, I was just saying that it makes no difference either way...
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it looked exactly like that ACR above, then it was an ACR. I wouldn't assume you could beat another one though, at least not until you add some more POWA. 600HP in a 3400lb vehicle means business.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah he must have grabed the wrong gear or was screwing with you...... people that buy ACR's tend to know how to drive because the people that just want a Viper just get a regular Viper.... the guys that want to race and go fast tend to get the ACR.

You don't really have an advantage from a dig.... those come with stickies on all 4 corners...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill man, whats done to your TA?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Its an ACR. I saw the car you raced when I was in TN meeting the guy to sell my turbo kit. He was running with a blue/white GTS and a red RT-10.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Its an ACR. I saw the car you raced when I was in TN meeting the guy to sell my turbo kit. He was running with a blue/white GTS and a red RT-10.
You small town guys crack me up! In bigger cities there could be a dozen or more of those ACR Vipers. - not doggin, just sayin.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I doubt it too, I was just saying that it makes no difference either way...
I was just adding on to what you had said. My post wasn't saying you were wrong, although after rereading it, it may have came out that way.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Launching!

I live in a major city..And Ive only seen 10 Vipers in my life...Honnolulu is also a wealthy area..medium home here is 600K..

On the other hand I saw a F430 and 2 nsx's the other day..I have yet to even see a coupe and they came out in 2006..

Vipers are extremely rare cars...Their are only 350 ACR's in the world...Seeing one or as you say 12...Would be a mojor feat..Their are no ACR's in my state period...

Now to the OP...I dont beleave you raced an ACR...I beleave you raced a gen3 2006 coupe with 500 hp that was painted in a acr scheme and had the wing added..many people are doing this...
Their are 10 of the 500 hp gen3's on my island...3 of them have been retrofitted to have the 2008 hoods...Just the other day I was asking the paint shop how much for a stripe job or ACR scheme on mine....

I say this simply because...

The 2008 and above Vipers will trapp 100 mph in the 1/8 mile and 125-130 mph in the 1/4 mile...Even at a DA of 22500 feet as you ran it's still a 96 mph trapping car..

On the other hand the 2003-2006 with 500 hp is more of a 94 mph trapping in the 1/8 car...Probally around 90 mph in the 2500 feet da you ran in...

The chance of seeing 1 out of 350 ACR's is just so rare...The guy putting a 600 plate on the back seems very poserish....The fact that a car that JamieFurman hit 130 mph in and several other have trapped 129 mph in couldnt pull you..

Makes me beleave more than likely you beat a 500 hp gen3...Dont feel to bad..As they have ran 11.5 at 123 mph bone stock by a few differant guys....

ACHOTS...But based on your mods and track numbers..It just seems a lil to good to be true...

even with the crappiest driver ect..Your low 90's aint gonna hang with no 100 mph in the 1/8 car
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno, I saw one being sold on CL by a dealer in a nearby town, they were "only" asking $98k. Positive it was a new ACR. Even though there are only 350 in the world you think they would all be driven rather than collected... Seems like rich folks want exotics... they're probably ignorant towards vipers because they're made by Dodge.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Well ACR or not nice kill!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

could have been an ACR..With a very bad driver..ACHOTS..Not takeing anything away from the OP...Just saying theirs a good chance he raced a poser gen3...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
I dunno, I saw one being sold on CL by a dealer in a nearby town, they were "only" asking $98k. Positive it was a new ACR. Even though there are only 350 in the world you think they would all be driven rather than collected... Seems like rich folks want exotics... they're probably ignorant towards vipers because they're made by Dodge.
Actually..It's quite common to see lambo and ferrari owners who also have a viper..

80-110 K for a american anything is very expensive..So it's still a nice car to them...

Bleave it or not a lot of them also own a Fbody as their dedicated strip car..
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
You small town guys crack me up! In bigger cities there could be a dozen or more of those ACR Vipers. - not doggin, just sayin.
I don't live in a small town. Not calling you an idiot, just sayin.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
You don't really have an advantage from a dig.... those come with stickies on all 4 corners...
Disagree highly on that.. I cut bottom 1.5 sixty foots. I think I definitely have an advantage from a dig.

Originally Posted by blackhawk0251
Nice kill man, whats done to your TA?
317s ported/milled
226 cam
ls6 intake
kooks/ORY
373s
PTC 4000 2.4
dyno tune
etc (all the little things)

7.40@92mph 1.50 sixties 2400 DA full weight.. It was around 85 degrees that night..

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I have tried to meet the blue/white one as well as a green one a few times, but they are always passing and by the time I turn around they are gone.

Originally Posted by Killemall
The 2008 and above Vipers will trapp 100 mph in the 1/8 mile and 125-130 mph in the 1/4 mile...Even at a DA of 22500 feet as you ran it's still a 96 mph trapping car..

On the other hand the 2003-2006 with 500 hp is more of a 94 mph trapping in the 1/8 car...Probally around 90 mph in the 2500 feet da you ran in...
I think it would be very probable that it was an ACR then.. On a day as cool as we ran I would easily be trapping 94mph.. If he just barely messed one little thing up (or me getting the jump mattered that much), that would put me in front by a fender or so.
Makes me beleave more than likely you beat a 500 hp gen3...Dont feel to bad..As they have ran 11.5 at 123 mph bone stock by a few differant guys....
Don't feel bad at all..
I already beat one brand new Viper at the track with intake/exhaust on it. I was happy then too.. I beat him much worse though because, of course, it was a dig.
even with the crappiest driver ect..Your low 90's aint gonna hang with no 100 mph in the 1/8 car
I have done enough street racing/racing to know that a bad driver in a 100 mph car along with the slower car getting the hit can be an extremely close race.

Thanks for the "other hand" side of thinking though! That is what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by chevyman9306
Well ACR or not nice kill!
Thanks!!! And to everyone else also for the help/compliments.

I do think it was definitely an ACR now (did a little bit of my own research also).. Bad driver/missed shift/wrong gear/perfect driver/perfect shifting/etc etc etc.. I could care less, I beat it.. Anything else would just be excuses to why he lost. It might be different next time, who knows.. But I can always turn on a little bottle for that case.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 AM

Good kill! Definitely sounds like an ACR to me. I would think that the Viper would pull, because as you said, it should trap over 125 more often than not. He may have started in the wrong gear ( I think that happens more often than most people think) or one or more of a ton of other things could have happened. Whatever the cause, you get to put a notch in your dashboard and that's all that counts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Disagree highly on that.. I cut bottom 1.5 sixty foots. I think I definitely have an advantage from a dig.
On the same tires that you spun at 35-40 mph before this race? Just curious.

Quick Reply: What kind of Viper did I run?