Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08-09 yamaha r6

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 08-09 yamaha r6

My roommate just came into this bike. its really nice, the satin blackout look with red accents here and there. he insnt a seasoned rider really, but saturday we decided to see what would happen on the highway. we started in mid to upper 2nd gear for me, which is about 35mph or so. he honked em and we took off. to my surprise it was even with me pulling slightly through half of my 4th gear. this is with no nitrous. he told me it was bad for him at that speed because hes at the very bottom of 2nd. either way it was cool. maybe this summer we will try it again when hes a bit better at it, and a better starting point for him.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

yea.......... there's gonna be a lot of peeps on here sayin "ah, 600's ain't nothing - they're slow - blah blah blah", but they're a hell of a lot faster than that...... tell him to get some experience and some saddle time, and it'll be a whole different story....

also, 35mph and bottom of 2nd gear for him?? 600's make no power until they get into the upper RPM's, so he defintely should have been in 1st..... I don't know how R6's gearing compares to my R1's gearing, but my R1 goes 104mph in 1st with stock gearing... the R6 won't go that fast in first, but its not going to be 70 mph less, that's for certain!

good kill nonetheless!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
My roommate just came into this bike..
Dude thats gross...

lol jk nice run, yea it boils down to experience.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
yea.......... there's gonna be a lot of peeps on here sayin "ah, 600's ain't nothing - they're slow - blah blah blah", but they're a hell of a lot faster than that...... tell him to get some experience and some saddle time, and it'll be a whole different story....

also, 35mph and bottom of 2nd gear for him?? 600's make no power until they get into the upper RPM's, so he defintely should have been in 1st..... I don't know how R6's gearing compares to my R1's gearing, but my R1 goes 104mph in 1st with stock gearing... the R6 won't go that fast in first, but its not going to be 70 mph less, that's for certain!

good kill nonetheless!
yeah. from what he told me lower ratio sprockets were installed, but i dont know tons about these bikes. we will see when its nicer outside what happens. if he does better all i have to do is flip the switch lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Dude thats gross...

ROTF! haha
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
ROTF! haha
Yeah, I got myself on that one. either way, hes into it now lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Dude thats gross...

Lmao
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Launching!

nice kill.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it appears that we've all had enough of the bike verse car arguments and are now content to take him at his word on the victory. Good nuff as long as the OP admits it was the bike & rider that he beat, not just the bike- which he did, numerous times. Good Kill!

Wish I could be a fly on the wall when your buddy is talking to all his new sport bike riding friends and brings up his loss to you! They are gonna be merciless on him. heh heh
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
it appears that we've all had enough of the bike verse car arguments and are now content to take him at his word on the victory. Good nuff as long as the OP admits it was the bike & rider that he beat, not just the bike- which he did, numerous times. Good Kill!

Wish I could be a fly on the wall when your buddy is talking to all his new sport bike riding friends and brings up his loss to you! They are gonna be merciless on him. heh heh

HA. maybe. hes a straigtforward guy. we were playing it safe more than anything. last thing i want is to be trying to have a little fun and one of my best friends is dead behind me on the hiway.my cousin who was basically my little brother died in a car accident a little over a year ago and thats been tough. this is the first time ive done anything on the street since then.
its a nice bike too, its the same bike i took my state motorcycle test on. balance well, and great powerband. once hes better like i said, im sure ill need to flip the juice switch.