Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

(New User)1993 Camaro Z28 vs. 2010 Challenger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (New User)1993 Camaro Z28 vs. 2010 Challenger SRT8

Hey guys I'm new here. I know this isn't the section for introductions, but this is where I'll mainly be hanging out on here so I figured I'd introduce myself to you guys. I've been checkin this section out for a while but haven't had a profile until now. I drive a 97 Chevy PU. It's pretty slow and I don't get many races.

Anyways, on to the story.

My buddy has a 93 Z28 that's fairly stock. It's got the tb bypass, airfoil, and intake elbow. He ran 13.68 at 101 in cold temps at Tulsa Raceway Park.

We were cruising town one night and run into a new challenger. I caught up to him and asked if he wanted to race my friend. He said he would. We talked for a while until my buddy got there. I asked him if he'd ever been to the track and he said no cuz he was afraid he would tear it up but he did race on the streets. He turned out to be a junior in high school and really didn't sound like he knew what he was talkin about.

My buddy showed up and we decided to follow the Challenger to some back road in Mexico.

The guy had us wait while he picked up some friends and when they drove by his friends were pointing out the window and laughing at the camaro(it is ugly as hell though lol)

The first two races were from a dig. I honked it off for them and the camaro dead hooked and took off while the challenger spun its wheels. Camaro held a fairly big lead (appeared to be 3-4 lengths from where I was at the start) to the end.

The second race was about the same but the Challenger didn't spin as much but launched really slow. The outcome was a little bit closer this time.

The third race was from a really slow roll. My buddy was trying to match speed but the kid kept slowing down until about 15 then took off. He spun and got sideways while the camaro spun very little and took off to a 2 car lead and held it till the end of the race.

I tried taking video of the races but my phone was being a pain so I didn't. I really wish I did so I'd have proof. I know the Challenger should have won but the driver couldn't drive very well at all. My friend that owns the camaro can drive pretty damn good and knows his car well.

Sorry for the long read.

Cliffsnotes: Camaro with driver mod beats Challenger SRT8 with poor driver twice from dig and once from roll.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised he won the roll race: even with the SRT8 kid somehow screwing that one up, too. Any SRT8 should destroy a '93 Z28 with those minimal mods. Talking 5-6 car lengths from 0-100mph easy.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Yeah I thought that too but the challenger also had two friends in the car with them if that makes much difference. They weren't the scrawniest kids either.

The roll race only went to about 60-70 due to the corner ahead. I know it's not that believable especially with my **** poor writing skills, but it did happen. I just wish I would have been more patient with my damn phone and got some video.

I'm probably a little off on the exact distance between them because of where I was. The challenger definitely wasn't a very good driver though. My buddy swears two lengths bumper to bumper in the first couple races, and he's not typically one to brag.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like the driver of the SRT8 didn't know what he was doing. You will get that with kids. Hope it's daddy's car and he doesn't end up killing himself.

Nice times on the camaro though. Automatic?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

13.7 @ 101 seems fair for "good temps/DA" in a stock LT-juan

Hell my slow lt-juan only ran 13.024@103.33 @ 2700DA with bolt-ons, A4, 3.73's, 3600 stall, untuned
Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah the camaro is a4. The 13.7 run was at about 1:00 in the morning at the midnight drags in tulsa. I'd say it was well in the 40s when he ran that. We went to the drags with it for about 5 weeks straight really late in the season and he knocked his times down from a 14.2 to that 13.7 with the few mods and a little experience.

I really like your TA marc. I'd be proud to own it. You say its slow, but consider my dads 56 chevy coupe ran 15.51 the same night the camaro ran the 13.7. It ran the 15.51 three different times that night with me and my dad switching off driving it.(I'm lucky to have a dad like him. lol) Its just a cruiser and occasional bracket racer and the Gm crate motor is on its last legs.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy Marc's T/A if you like it so much, he's trying to move into a C6.

Probably the worst driver ever in your story btw.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
Buy Marc's T/A if you like it so much, he's trying to move into a C6.

Probably the worst driver ever in your story btw.
I agree
Originally Posted by fast450ridr
I really like your TA marc. I'd be proud to own it. You say its slow
As Sean said, my car is for sale You can be the proud new owner. Check my signature for the for-sale section. And IMO anything that doesn't run 11's or better is slow (but of course being fast is all one's perception)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Teching In

If I had enough money to buy it I probably would. but I'm a broke college student at the moment and most likely will be for the next 4 years.

He was a really bad driver, but I've seen worse. This guy in some old truck tried to stage up with his back tires at the drag strip. The guy running the tree kept trying to tell him to back up but he wouldn't move. I don't think it helped his time all that much. lol
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
...Probably the worst driver ever in your story btw.
i dont know, i wouldnt say "worst driver ever", ive heard of worse. I mean the Challenger probably had 500lbs extra worth of passenger and driver over the Camaro on top of the already 650-700lbs they usually weigh over a stock weghing F-body. Probably was still a bad driver, just not the worst
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Deffinitely killed the driver. A SRT8 is an unfair match for a stockish 93 Z especially if he's running 13.68@101.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ****** srt8
Deffinitely killed the driver. A SRT8 is an unfair match for a stockish 93 Z especially if he's running 13.68@101.
a typical SRT8 runs slightly faster than an LS1 car so roughly 13.1@108. Now add 500lbs of more dead weight to the srt8 what do you think it would run?? It would be a hell of a lot closer with the slight edge to the srt8. The challenger spun its wheels and thats all it really needed to lose.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

what i'm having trouble believing, or rather, accepting, is a junior in high school having a brand new challenger.

good kill .
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wimimc
what i'm having trouble believing, or rather, accepting, is a junior in high school having a brand new challenger.

good kill .
its probably his dads. But with how stupid parents are nowadays who knows they might have bought it for him.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Well every 100lbs = how many tenths of a sec? Even with the extra weight it was the SRT8's race to lose and the bad driver took care of the rest.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

good kill .
I could hardly believe my eyes when I pulled up and saw who was driving it. I definitely wasn't expecting to see such a young kid driving it. I've seen plenty of spoiled kids driving cars out of their reach. One girl I dated for a little bit in high school got a 2010 Camaro SS2 for her 16th birthday. She never let me drive it though. That b*tch.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast450ridr
If I had enough money to buy it I probably would. but I'm a broke college student at the moment and most likely will be for the next 4 years.
I'm in college myself and I plan on upgrading after I get this sold. There is nothing you can't get if you want it enough

And I was surprised of the outcome of this race myself but goes to show what drivers and streets can do
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Teching In

good kill .
My brother is a Senior in high school and has a newer body AMG Mercedes, he takes care of it like nobodies business he washes it every other day and it never see's a drop of rain. There are also 3 10' Camaro SS's, a E46 M3, E92 M3, E60 M5, 2nd Gen CTS-V and a handful of Audis. The only thing we had when I went there was a handful of fbodys, a GT500 owned by a sophmore and a **** ton of mustangs. Times have changed. Im sure most are probably their parents cars but still it mise well be theirs if they are driving it everyday.

Last edited by NiteRiderWS6; 01-14-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
its probably his dads. But with how stupid parents are nowadays who knows they might have bought it for him.
Back when I was in high school this kid got a brand new GT500 for his 16th birthday. He acted like the car was god so people hated him. People threw trash on his car, keyed it. But it gets worst and this is 100% the truth he parked it alone during a football game and someone took a dump on his hood....
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
Back when I was in high school this kid got a brand new GT500 for his 16th birthday. He acted like the car was god so people hated him. People threw trash on his car, keyed it. But it gets worst and this is 100% the truth he parked it alone during a football game and someone took a dump on his hood....
WoW that sucks for him! Funny, but the baddest car at my highschool was owned AND built by a kid whose dad owned a string of junkyards: a low 10 second all motor 426 hemi powered tubbed Road runner. And seeing as how the kid was low key about it, very cool, and therefore very liked that thing was the toast of the school!

I can't count how many street races he got into right by school when classsmates would scour other schools trying to find that schools 'fastest car' so he could destroy them. He actually beat two 9 second cars in epic showdowns: they couldnt hook on the street, and he could.

Pretty funny because that car, when he drove it to school, always got 2 parking spots and most of the boys in that school would unhesitantly beat down anyone who even touched it.

Once we had a teacher complain because it was taking up two parking spots in the prime parking right infront of school: it literally almost turned into a riot with all the kids that suddenly appeared infront of the principals office after he called him in to tell him to move it. The autoshop teacher came to the rescue - don't know what was said, but he never got **** about taking up two spots again. lol