Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My view this weekend. BS Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My view this weekend. BS Thread.

I'm just gonna leave these here. The view of the front straight of Thunderbolt at NJMP from the room I'm staying in tonight. Yup. Ride all day, eat dinner, go to sleep practically on the race track, wake up in the morning and do it all over again tomorrow. It's ok to be jealous...

Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dump your bike yet? If not I'll put more tire shine on for you next time
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

You lucky bastard, you!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Pretty awesome that you can stay right on the track.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Like button
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pimp. I'm planning on running with a couple V guys on the Lightning course soon there at NJMP. It was officially scheduled a few sundays back, but rain delay sucked. You run on track yet?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice! I just got back from my Spring Mountain track day in Pahrump, NV. Good times!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Like button
Agreed, That's ******* awesome.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Niiiicccceee
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can't view pics at work!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
You dump your bike yet? If not I'll put more tire shine on for you next time
Unfortunately, I did watch a couple bikes go down throughout both days. Before one of our sessions I saw this sweet Ducati 848 Evo (all flat black) parked near me in the garages that I had been checking out. A couple sessions later I pulled in and noticed he had low-sided and completed destroyed the left side of the bike. That was a sad sight...
Originally Posted by marc97taws6
You lucky bastard, you!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Pretty awesome that you can stay right on the track.
Absolutely. It made the whole Sunday to Monday experience a lot more enjoyable and relaxing.
Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Like button
How appropriate that would be to have a like button here...
Originally Posted by odthetruth
Pimp. I'm planning on running with a couple V guys on the Lightning course soon there at NJMP. It was officially scheduled a few sundays back, but rain delay sucked. You run on track yet?
I was on track all day Sunday and Monday. I've never run Lightning before but I plan on it soon. I heard it's FAST!
Originally Posted by MTN_Z
Nice! I just got back from my Spring Mountain track day in Pahrump, NV. Good times!
Awesome! How was the track?
Originally Posted by ZFreie
Agreed, That's ******* awesome.
Originally Posted by projectX
Niiiicccceee

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I can't view pics at work!!!
If you haven't seen em yet, I imagine you'll be jealous when you do.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Awesome! How was the track?
It was great! The Ron Fellows Corvette driving school is based there so they were using another configuration at the same time. It was pretty cool to see a lineup of ZR1s and Z06s sitting there getting ready to go on track. I hadn't been there before and the asphalt was perfect. Pretty technical track, but it was very flowing at the same time. We are going back in September and I can't wait. How about yours?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Since this is a BS thread, I see #'s for the ZL1 have started to surface. As expected, it seems the factory tires suck *****. Livernois Motorsports was only able to get a 12.4 @ 115.x with their stock A6. A guy who has one around here went 11.43 @ 120.8 with the only mods being slicks and skinnies.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Livernois said they had horrible 0-60 times and could only spin the tires in 1st..tires mod needed.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

so jealous
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Nice.. All I've seen for the past 3 weeks was the inside the walls of my office at work!! 7-12's to no days off!! I'm so
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

It was great! The Ron Fellows Corvette driving school is based there so they were using another configuration at the same time. It was pretty cool to see a lineup of ZR1s and Z06s sitting there getting ready to go on track. I hadn't been there before and the asphalt was perfect. Pretty technical track, but it was very flowing at the same time. We are going back in September and I can't wait. How about yours?
Thunderbolt is an awesome track. Very fast and very flowing. The design is great. A lot of deceiving high speed turns and the technical parts of it are so because they're somewhat unique from what I've seen (around 8 and 9 in particular). A really cool blind hill through Turn 2, a nice wheelie hill on the straight after Turn 3 (chicane) which leads into this amazingly fast Turn 4 where way too many people seem to park it instead of using the wide part of the track after the turn. There really are some deceiving parts to the track that take a while to get comfortable hitting at speed. The more familiar you get with it, the more you realize there are almost no spots on the track where hard braking is required.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thunderbolt is an awesome track. Very fast and very flowing. The design is great. A lot of deceiving high speed turns and the technical parts of it are so because they're somewhat unique from what I've seen (around 8 and 9 in particular). A really cool blind hill through Turn 2, a nice wheelie hill on the straight after Turn 3 (chicane) which leads into this amazingly fast Turn 4 where way too many people seem to park it instead of using the wide part of the track after the turn. There really are some deceiving parts to the track that take a while to get comfortable hitting at speed. The more familiar you get with it, the more you realize there are almost no spots on the track where hard braking is required.
That sounds very similar to Spring Mountain. Quite a few blind curves that caught me out at first. By the end of the second session, I was hitting my apexes fairly consistently though. It isn't a terribly fast track as I was just cracking 150 on the back straight even when I broke late into the bus stop. Advanced group times are 2:10 and under for 2.4 miles so the average speed is low. However, just like Thunderbolt, many of these deceiving turns can be taken much faster than they initially appear. Once I found the lines, it was gravy from there. The only difficulty I had was riding in B group. I hadn't ridden intermediate in awhile but wanted to take it easy at a new track. The amount of traffic is incredible and it's amazing how they all find a way to pile up. I will get a solid lap and a half with my head down and then out of nowhere, there's like 15 bikes all together. Still fun though. How many track days are you planning this year?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds very similar to Spring Mountain. Quite a few blind curves that caught me out at first. By the end of the second session, I was hitting my apexes fairly consistently though. It isn't a terribly fast track as I was just cracking 150 on the back straight even when I broke late into the bus stop. Advanced group times are 2:10 and under for 2.4 miles so the average speed is low. However, just like Thunderbolt, many of these deceiving turns can be taken much faster than they initially appear. Once I found the lines, it was gravy from there. The only difficulty I had was riding in B group. I hadn't ridden intermediate in awhile but wanted to take it easy at a new track. The amount of traffic is incredible and it's amazing how they all find a way to pile up. I will get a solid lap and a half with my head down and then out of nowhere, there's like 15 bikes all together. Still fun though. How many track days are you planning this year?
Yeah, must be a much slower track. Thunderbolt is 2.25 miles and one of the guys who garaged next to me - and who just happened to be one of the two fastest guys on the track - was hitting 1:34 on his faster day. From what I know, the AMA guys run low to mid 1:2X's, but that's stupid fast pro racer times, and the guy running 1:34 is pretty much one of the fastest non-pro guys you'll see at a track day. The faster advanced guys seemed to be doing low to mid 1:4X's from what I saw. Similar top speeds on the main straight with the bigger bikes, maybe a bit faster, but almost the entire track is just stupid fast.

I have a September wedding I'm saving for, so not nearly as many track days as I'd like this year, but hopefully I can get to both Loudon and NJMP at least once more each this year (I do two days at a time to make it worth the trip - 3.5 hours to Loudon and almost 5 to NJMP). I really wanna run Lightning at NJMP if I get down there again this year, but I'll take either track depending on what works out schedule wise. Only certain organizations do Lightning and they don't seem to be cheap (none of them are around here), so it's harder to get to.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, must be a much slower track. Thunderbolt is 2.25 miles and one of the guys who garaged next to me - and who just happened to be one of the two fastest guys on the track - was hitting 1:34 on his faster day. From what I know, the AMA guys run low to mid 1:2X's, but that's stupid fast pro racer times, and the guy running 1:34 is pretty much one of the fastest non-pro guys you'll see at a track day. The faster advanced guys seemed to be doing low to mid 1:4X's from what I saw. Similar top speeds on the main straight with the bigger bikes, maybe a bit faster, but almost the entire track is just stupid fast.

I have a September wedding I'm saving for, so not nearly as many track days as I'd like this year, but hopefully I can get to both Loudon and NJMP at least once more each this year (I do two days at a time to make it worth the trip - 3.5 hours to Loudon and almost 5 to NJMP). I really wanna run Lightning at NJMP if I get down there again this year, but I'll take either track depending on what works out schedule wise. Only certain organizations do Lightning and they don't seem to be cheap (none of them are around here), so it's harder to get to.
Yeah that sounds Auto Club Speedway-ish as far as average speed. Fun I'm sure!

I hear ya as far as priorities go. Gotta take care of business first. I would like to do a few more this year as well. Pahrump is 4.5 hours away though so it won't be a consistent location. My goal is to register with WERA to run some of the west coast races next year. As long as finances and priorities don't get in the way that is.