Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

street racing, the element of suprise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street racing, the element of suprise

just wanted to get a thread going on some sneaky set ups you guys run for street/ grudge racing. of coarse hiding nitrous on the car is a common practice, I'm looking for more subtle things. like maybe having a car look or sound stock but rips up the street. the "element of suprise" is what I'm talking about here. I've heard of people running ceramic wheel bearings to pick up some mph, you know things like this. would like to keep this strictly 1/4 street/ grudge racing. any thoughts?

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

In high school i had two 1993 Nissan 300zx's one twin turbo and one NA... both same colors but two totally different monsters...lol. There is a guy here in Maryland that has intake/exhaust/pulley'd lightning and the same color twin turbo lightning... what are you trying to do?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight reduction, especially where people can't see it unless they are really looking. Sound deadening from under the carpets, spare tire/jack, tubular k member, no front sway bar, light weight front suspension parts, even stuff that people can see but not think effects weight much like aftermarket front seats or lighter weight body pannels or other parts.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Cutouts. LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My low rise winged 4 door, 2 car seats in back cobalt

About to hptune but traps 106 in current form ;-)

No one ever races the hugger :-(
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Stock exhaust and quiet superchargers?

On 3 different vehicles...
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a buddy with a 350z he just got that has stock exhaust and everything. You wouldnt know it was twin turboed unless looked under the hood and guessed on the piping. Turbos are hidden behind the engine pretty good and the intercoolers look the radiator. Only if you had a keen eye youd spot it
i kinda wanna do a turbo build like that. Too bad youll see the turbo when the hood is popped!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hugger1975
My low rise winged 4 door, 2 car seats in back cobalt

About to hptune but traps 106 in current form ;-)

No one ever races the hugger :-(
I know you would beat me but any intrest in running me in the hugger so I can get a gauge of my car??
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well.. My car in itself is a sleeper to the kids my age. Everyone thinks its some POS grandma's car with crappy paint and quarter panel issues. I have on occasions been guilty of removing the wastegate actuator arm off the turbo, so it essentially has no boost for a "test ride".... Just to trick some unsuspecting victims. The electric dump pipe is also nice to have . "Dude, your car is whistling.. That can't be good"... "Why did your exhaust just get louder?" said the Mustang owner..

Nix
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

I vacuum my car out really good, run the tank down, milled out my wheels, took out the bumper supports, replaced the seats with carbon fiber look alikes, and I always take a **** before racing.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a stock 6.0 block with stock L92 truck heads and a stock intake..

Down play your **** at any given chance.

I don't have any real "tricks" other than that.. Nothing anything worth mentioning that everyone else doesn't do.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Serious answer: I like to not downplay anything and tell someone about everything that's been touched on my car.

That seems to rile people up the best.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Serious answer: I like to not downplay anything and tell someone about everything that's been touched on my car.

That seems to rile people up the best.
LOL the truth... Half the time they don't believe you anyway.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Mach1s...

o wait....
they're not fast.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

There are a bunch of inbread ratards around here that would beg to differ brah!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vacuum my car out really good, run the tank down, milled out my wheels, took out the bumper supports, replaced the seats with carbon fiber look alikes, and I always take a **** before racing.
Probably the most cruicial thing to do before racing, i also free-ball it to save the weight of underwear.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

LMAO Nothing like having to take a **** and rushing thru traffic.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Ice the intake to make sure your IAT's stay decent. We all know how much heat soak and the pulled timing that goes along with it kills power on LS engines.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SloWhipz
just wanted to get a thread going on some sneaky set ups you guys run for street/ grudge racing. of coarse hiding nitrous on the car is a common practice, I'm looking for more subtle things. like maybe having a car look or sound stock but rips up the street. the "element of suprise" is what I'm talking about here. I've heard of people running ceramic wheel bearings to pick up some mph, you know things like this. would like to keep this strictly 1/4 street/ grudge racing. any thoughts?

These types of vehicles are called "Sleepers."
Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Chrysler used to campaign a car in Michigan called the Mo-town Missile. It was a factory backed 1/4 mile car. They used titanium parts and then painted them black to look like normal steel.

If you race often, for cash, on the street, the best thing you can do (IMO) is to never crush anyone. Always win by a car length or two, don't ever smash someone.

Turbo buicks are probably the greatest sleepers out there. Quiet, not sporty looking to the younger crowd, and bad as **** with the right set up.

I tend to look at tire a lot. Some guy can talk his car down all night to me, but when he rolls up on ET street radials, or bias plys, I don't give a damn what he says; the tire tells me he's trying to hook some power. My kryptonite always seems to be cars with nittos. I don't ever expect much out of them from a dig, but I've lost more cash to folks that can make it hook on a little tire than anyone else.

I look at stance alot too. If the car is sitting right, I know the guy has probably spent some time dialing in the car trying to get it to hook. I can't really describe what 'right' is, but most of the guys who have been around the hobby for awhile can tell when a car has been worked over in an effort to hook by the way it sits. Don't get me wrong, it's not infallible or anything, but it's something that would throw me if you came up to me wanting to race for cash.

I guess I'm saying that the best way to clip me would be a car that was on nittos or something, with a stance that didn't scream, "I'll hook like a madman when he lays down on the loud pedal."

Quick Reply: street racing, the element of suprise