Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Thirdgen lt1 vs Cadillac Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thirdgen lt1 vs Cadillac Eldorado

I should have wrote this story when it happened a few months ago. My stepdad friend has a Cadillac Eldorado. He told me it's the 330 hp engine but I can't find it online so I'm guessing it's the 300 hp. He kept telling me wants to race thinking I still had a old 350 in it. So headed to a friends house we find a light with no traffic. So I put in drive and waited for the light to turn green. The light turns green I let him get the jump to make sure we were racing. He pulled a bumper in front of me I caught him around the 60 ft and put a car on him. I held that lead to about 90 where traffic was coming and we slowed down. So I know on the 1/8 mile track I would have him beat. After the race he said I lied to him and that I definitely had "some ****" under my hood. He tells me how he has raced bmws, newer cars and always wins. It's the only car I raced this summer. Not bad for a basically stock lt1. Mods in sig
Old 11-24-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The eldorado ETC has 300HP, but it's a 4Klbs slug. High 14's to low 15 second car at best. Not to mention he is lucky that he didn't blow a head gasket while racing.

It's actually a damned shame on the Northstar. That motor had so much potential, but with FWD only (In the early years), and 0 tuning options, it just never did anything. It was originally designed off from the LT5 in the ZR1 vettes.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
The eldorado ETC has 300HP, but it's a 4Klbs slug. High 14's to low 15 second car at best. Not to mention he is lucky that he didn't blow a head gasket while racing.

It's actually a damned shame on the Northstar. That motor had so much potential, but with FWD only (In the early years), and 0 tuning options, it just never did anything. It was originally designed off from the LT5 in the ZR1 vettes.
those old zr1 cars are awesome I found one in my area on craigslist for around 20k give or take. I wonder how well they would do under boost being ohc with that displacement?
Old 11-24-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed. My parents had two brand new ones when I was a teenager. They were nice cars, no doubt, but as impressive as 300HP might sound it aint that much when its got to pull 2 tons around. And torque steer? huh????? OMG

As I recall 0-60 was high sixes, and I think mid to upper 14 second 1/4 times. Not bad for a daily driver luxo-cruiser 15 years ago.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Agreed. My parents had two brand new ones when I was a teenager. They were nice cars, no doubt, but as impressive as 300HP might sound it aint that much when its got to pull 2 tons around. And torque steer? huh????? OMG

As I recall 0-60 was high sixes, and I think mid to upper 14 second 1/4 times. Not bad for a daily driver luxo-cruiser 15 years ago.
Oh yeah, the torque steer was a nightmare. I had a 95 and 98 Seville SLS. The mid 14's runs are very rare, most happen with weight reduction. Most ran low 15's.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Teching In

I had a 93 Mark VIII in high school, and ran an older gentleman with a Northstar Caddy several times in one night at Bithlo. Both cars were bone stock, and there was never more than a tenth between us. He would actually holeshot me every time, FWD FTW! Lol. Both of us were running 15.0-15.1 all night, aside from a 14.9 glory run on my part. Those older STS Caddys were pretty nice and ran well at the time.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
I had a 93 Mark VIII in high school, and ran an older gentleman with a Northstar Caddy several times in one night at Bithlo. Both cars were bone stock, and there was never more than a tenth between us. He would actually holeshot me every time, FWD FTW! Lol. Both of us were running 15.0-15.1 all night, aside from a 14.9 glory run on my part. Those older STS Caddys were pretty nice and ran well at the time.
Yeah, my sister had a 94 mark VIII and she would beat my 95 SLS, but it was the 275HP version. In addition to the FWD, the N* cars had far more advanced traction control than the Mark's did.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah, my sister had a 94 mark VIII and she would beat my 95 SLS, but it was the 275HP version. In addition to the FWD, the N* cars had far more advanced traction control than the Mark's did.
What's traction control? Lol. I always disabled mine. He ran pretty consistent basement 15s, 92-93mph, so I'd assume it was the 300hp version. Either way, it was some fun racing even going so slowly lol.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's traction control? Lol. I always disabled mine. He ran pretty consistent basement 15s, 92-93mph, so I'd assume it was the 300hp version. Either way, it was some fun racing even going so slowly lol.
If you killed traction control, you were starting in 2nd gear. I always hated that about the cadillacs.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Teching In

If you killed traction control, you were starting in 2nd gear. I always hated that about the cadillacs.
No ****? There has to be a way around that...that's ******* awful.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

No ****? There has to be a way around that...that's ******* awful.
Yeah, it was to stop you from messing up the transmission. It was a highly intelligent system, even if you pulled the ABS fuse, it would start in 2nd.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LT1 third gen is a nasty sleeper, just like the LT1 Vettes. Can get em down to 3k pretty quick and they have crazy power:weight for some easy mid 11s NA.

Not only is it just a "Turd Gen", but its also an LT1...even 100hp hatchback Civics will try to race you LOL.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Puck
LT1 third gen is a nasty sleeper, just like the LT1 Vettes. Can get em down to 3k pretty quick and they have crazy power:weight for some easy mid 11s NA.

Not only is it just a "Turd Gen", but its also an LT1...even 100hp hatchback Civics will try to race you LOL.

I've had a couple of LT1 4th gens and I was a little underwhelmed by their performance. Got the LT1 C4 and expected the same thing. Was shocked by the amount of power, then I looked up the weight. Mine is probably in the 3200lbs range due to low options.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

I've got mine down to 3150 race weight. Didn't take much. Ditching the spare & jack, Iron exhaust manifolds, cats, resonator and stock mufflers, I ended up shedding over 100lbs. LT1 C4s have 20 gallon fuel tanks. Going out racing with half a tank will save 67-70lbs.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly on the wall
I've got mine down to 3150 race weight. Didn't take much. Ditching the spare & jack, Iron exhaust manifolds, cats, resonator and stock mufflers, I ended up shedding over 100lbs. LT1 C4s have 20 gallon fuel tanks. Going out racing with half a tank will save 67-70lbs.

Nice, 3150 without any real weight reduction mods .

Had no idea their stock tanks were that big, F-bodies are 15.5 gallon IIRC.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, the vette tank is massive. Day I picked mine up, it was on complete empty, computer was showing 17 miles left. Started filling it up. 12 gallons, hmm decent sized tank. 15 gallons, hmm it's still going. 18 gallons, IT'S STILL GOING!!!! 19 gallons, IS IT RUNNING OUT THE OTHER SIDE?!? Settled at 19.2.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

^^^

That... (Except I wouldn't call it a slug.) The Eldo does alright for what it is... It's a stock land yacht, designed for cruisin', not briusin'. But also.. it can be made to bruise... big nasty one's too... just few folks bother, because it works fine for what it is. GM had a 950hp Northstar v4, they were runnin' in boats. Those engines were nasty in terms of potential, but they were significantly more complex (read: Expensive) than the old push rod staple of the LT and LS now LTs ... .
Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I've nearly screwed myself several times, trying to hit the track on "E"... .

And the inverse... forgetting what the heck I was doing and filled it once on the way to the track. Turned out not to be that big of a deal tho'... shattered the dif' on the third pass and had to have her towed home on the "Bed of Shame".

Still harshed my mellow tho'.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OVA1
^^^

That... (Except I wouldn't call it a slug.) The Eldo does alright for what it is... It's a stock land yacht, designed for cruisin', not briusin'. But also.. it can be made to bruise... big nasty one's too... just few folks bother, because it works fine for what it is. GM had a 950hp Northstar v4, they were runnin' in boats. Those engines were nasty in terms of potential, but they were significantly more complex (read: Expensive) than the old push rod staple of the LT and LS now LTs ... .
Oh yeah, it could be made nasty, but the tuning options didn't exist. I remember a guy running a turbo on his STS Seville. Stand alone PCM, ported heads/intake, stock cams, and forged pistons/rods and was putting down something like 650HP. Good for mid 11's.

I got my 98 Seville in 2007 for $1500 and it had a blown head gasket. Sucker was absolutely pristine, only had 97K miles on it. I timeserted the block and put 55K miles on it. Loved that car.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Oh yeah, it could be made nasty, but the tuning options didn't exist. I remember a guy running a turbo on his STS Seville. Stand alone PCM, ported heads/intake, stock cams, and forged pistons/rods and was putting down something like 650HP. Good for mid 11's.

I got my 98 Seville in 2007 for $1500 and it had a blown head gasket. Sucker was absolutely pristine, only had 97K miles on it. I timeserted the block and put 55K miles on it. Loved that car.
Man they're great cars... Spoil the hell out of ya. Long story, but I drove an STS for a week, a few years after they came out; wanna say mid 90s... MAN! I fell head over heels in love with that car. It was a loaner from the Caddy Dealer who'd screwed my Deville up and was waiting on parts, and who was also trying to up-sell me. And brother, if I'd had two nickels to rub together I'd have done it in a second.

My wife shut the deal down, knowing how much I loved it and that I was probably going to sell my soul to buy it, she says: "Well, if you think it's the smart thing to do, go ahead... ."

So the next day I'm sittin' there... he's got the loan papers drawn up... the payment was $875/mo... (My house payment was $725)... and all I had to do was sign it and she was MINE! I was so in love with that car, $875/month was actually 'makin' sense'.

Then... inexplicably... as I am spoolin' up the arm muscles to raise it to sign ... my wife's voice "If you think it's the smart thing to do..." came rattlin' in and the fever broke... I tossed the keys on the table, picked up the keys to my Deville and left.

The feelin' of relief that came over me when I got into my car was not to be believed... My Deville was only a few years old and I loved THAT car.

(That guy called me later that day ALL KIND of pissed off about how many miles I put on the STS... I didn't have to heart to tell him that MOST of those miles were WOT... .)

Quick Reply: Thirdgen lt1 vs Cadillac Eldorado