Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock v1 M6 CTS-V vs. bolt on M6 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock v1 M6 CTS-V vs. bolt on M6 6.0 GTO

This has been a hell of a weekend for street racing in Champaign, Illinois. I was hanging out at the usual car meet I go to here, and a guy from a town north of here called Rantoul started talking **** "to the guy with the orange GTO", aka me. He told me that he'd race me on the highway from a 40 roll for $200, and I've never really thought my Goat was fast, so I told him I'd go for ***** and giggles. We both looked under each other's hoods, got a group of other guys from the meet to run blocker on the interstate for us, and laid out how we wanted to do it. We all cruised over to the interstate, having a couple sport bikes check for cops down the road.

Everything was clear, me and the V (ha!) headed down the interstate. We got the blockers across all three lanes between the interstate on and off ramps, got lined up, waited for the honk, and actually hooked in 2nd gear. I pulled probably a car and a half on him before we ducked off the next ramp. Pulling up to the stop light at the ramp, he called bull because he couldn't hear the honks from the blockers due to my SLP Loudmouth II exhaust. We turned around, headed back west and did a 30 roll this time. Still pulled at least a car on him between the ramps.

The third (and last) race took place out of town because we all feared someone had reported us to the staties in town Friday night. About half the group got cut off going through town at stop lights, so there was maybe half the pack. We had my GTO, the CTS-V, a new 5.7 A8 Charger, a 4.6 A4 Mustang with 3.73's, a slammed single cab short bed Ram and another one I can't remember. We got out onto this perfectly flat and smooth road- no cops, no people, and a clear straight shot the entire two mile stretch. Again, pulled at least a car on him all the way to something like 130.

Even though this guy talked some ****, when we regrouped at a gas station back by where the meet took place, we shook hands. Damn good races for an idiot like myself.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job man! Sounds like a fun night of racing. What all do you have in the GTO?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Nice job man!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Launching!

It's just a stock motor 6.0 M6 GTO, it has SLP long tubes, catless mids and a SLP Loudmouth II catback, cheap air intake from K&N, a Hinson Motorsports aluminum drive shaft and short throw shifter, Lovells 340/350mm drop springs, Koni yellows all around, Roadsafe end links, the Hotchkis front sway and rear anti-roll bars, tow brace delete and an aluminum skid plate. Mostly suspension work, currently compiling parts for a head/cam/intake and possibly nitrous
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice run. Stock for stock should be pretty close with a slight advantage to a V1 but headers is enough to give an edge.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MN_V
Nice run. Stock for stock should be pretty close with a slight advantage to a V1 but headers is enough to give an edge.
My headers/tune GTO beat a h/c/i v1 making ~430whp.
LS1tech was in such an uproar they hired an assassin to crush me in a 410whp cammed CTS-V1.

He lost too.

So no... no advantage to the v1.

Good kill OP.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Launching!

The almighty juice has spoken... Lol
Old 04-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And he's still humble as ever.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
My headers/tune GTO beat a h/c/i v1 making ~430whp.
LS1tech was in such an uproar they hired an assassin to crush me in a 410whp cammed CTS-V1.

He lost too.

So no... no advantage to the v1.

Good kill OP.
Agreed, not to impressed with the v1's. I was cruising out to our local track with a group of guys from our car "club", and 2 of which were basically stock v1's. We were all kinda screwing around on the way out, and 1 of them lined up with a new 5.0 and i was behind the 5.0, so as soon as he took off, i did to and basically ended up staying even with the v1. Both v1's then lined up in front of me and went at it, so i punched it to and stayed right with them. I just have a tune only a4 ls1 gto
Old 04-21-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not talking about differently modded cars or 5.0s... a stock LS2 V vs. a stock LS2 GTO the V should have a bit of an advantage. The 3.73 gear is the difference in otherwords nearly identical power/weight (within about 100lbs).
Old 04-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Launching!

One of the reasons why he lost is this guy couldn't shift to save his life, I could hear him let out of the clutch too early and grind gears when we'd do a pull. At a little meetup between me and a couple guys who ran blockers who know the CTS-V's owner, they told me that he doesn't talk ****.

If anyone is familiar with the Champaign-Urbana area, then you'll know that Rantoul is like our own little Danville, and this guy tried to sound like a badass calling himself "Racing King of Rantoul"...
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MN_V
I'm not talking about differently modded cars or 5.0s... a stock LS2 V vs. a stock LS2 GTO the V should have a bit of an advantage. The 3.73 gear is the difference in otherwords nearly identical power/weight (within about 100lbs).
One would think, but like i said, i raced 2 of them in my basically stock ls1 gto and neither could really get away from me.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill i have a LS2 V1, pretty much stock besides muffler delete and a K&N CAI, i like my V1, i am after surprising a few people with my car. I think the other guy could not drive the car. 40 in 2nd gear is a killer in the V's.

Quick Reply: Stock v1 M6 CTS-V vs. bolt on M6 6.0 GTO