Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bad luck with the 5.0's vs My 408 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad luck with the 5.0's vs My 408 Z28

Me and a few buds of mine are at the local car hangout in Northern Va, and decided to bring my Z28 out with only 3k on the motor. A few more of my friends show up to take a look under the hood, and could not tell the diffrence between the 408 and the stock ls1. So I hit the nitrous switch (hidden dry kit under the filter) and got the attention of this 5.0 rag top (fox style).

The 5.0 guy came over and Asked "how much are you spraying"?. I told him that it was a small 75 dry shot, then asked if I wanted to race for some $$. So then we agreed to race for $20 (that's the most i could get him for). He had a friend with him that has a LS1 T/A and that his 5.0 could take it pretty easily. I found out from one of his friends that he has a built 331 with 175 shot. We agreed to race from a dig, him with E/T streets, and me on street tires. We both line up and do a burnout. He let me have the kick, and as soon as my tired started to grip, my fornt bumper was at his door. When i sprayed, my car was pulling on him real quick. As i was about to pass him, i hit my rev limiter and the car started to overheat so i let off the gas and pulled off to the side of the road. I popped the hood and found that the serpintine belt had cut in half and the power steering pully had shattered to bits. Needless to say, the 5.0 guy took my money and will not give me a rematch.

Story 2: i was riding on the highway one night, when i see a red 95 cobra riding my ***.(my liscense plate cover says "i pimp slap mustangs") he finally pulls beside me, and doesn't do anything. i looked over and saw his pillar/boost gaugeand could hear his supercharger. i tried to gun it a few times but he still wouldn't do anything. As he got close to his exit, he floored it and pulled real hardbut didn't get a chance to react before he exited

Maybe next time i'll have better luck with 5.0's.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanical loss, not a driving loss- no biggie. Just sucks to have to pull over during a race. You'll find your fox soon enough.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn that sucks man! you have any idea of what caused that to come apart?'

also how was the car running before that. I am guessing pretty good
Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Launching!

The car is running like a beast now. I think the problem was due to the power steering pulley, it had a little crack around the edge and im guessing it split right down the middle. It was a long night..had to go back to the shop get the trailer (40 miles 1 way) and limp it home! The car was up and going the next day though.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigBronco
damn that sucks man! you have any idea of what caused that to come apart?'

also how was the car running before that. I am guessing pretty good
The car was running really good before that! The rev limiter was set at 7300 and I still hit it going into 2nd! Thinking after the belt was cut in 2, it made the engine spin a little more with no load on the thing. Now the limiter is set for 7500 rpm and looking fro a rematch!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

well im glad that motor is running like it should be! Have fun and be safe bro!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 12-01-2004, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

7500 Where did your TRex peak at in that 408?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black_z
7500 Where did your TRex peak at in that 408?
Never had the car on the dyno, but I slam the tech all the time. I have to be hitting around 7400 rpm with juice, now it's set at 7500 with HP tuners and no problems.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chrdij
The car is running like a beast now. I think the problem was due to the power steering pulley, it had a little crack around the edge and im guessing it split right down the middle. It was a long night..had to go back to the shop get the trailer (40 miles 1 way) and limp it home! The car was up and going the next day though.
Good to hear its running again! That stang guy knows he got extremely lucky. Maybe next time
Old 12-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by titanium barchetta
Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 PM
NKAWTG...N

408 ci with spray...not many street cars and keep up with that...put some slicks on that bad boy.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh man that sucks. I wouldn't have taken your money. If I'm runnin' someone for money and they broke, the manley thing to do is let him keep his money.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

that suck get hte car fixed and go spank his *** so he looks stupid for taking some money instead of helping them out
Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrdij
Me and a few buds of mine are at the local car hangout in Northern Va, and decided to bring my Z28 out with only 3k on the motor. A few more of my friends show up to take a look under the hood, and could not tell the diffrence between the 408 and the stock ls1. So I hit the nitrous switch (hidden dry kit under the filter) and got the attention of this 5.0 rag top (fox style).

The 5.0 guy came over and Asked "how much are you spraying"?. I told him that it was a small 75 dry shot, then asked if I wanted to race for some $$. So then we agreed to race for $20 (that's the most i could get him for). He had a friend with him that has a LS1 T/A and that his 5.0 could take it pretty easily. I found out from one of his friends that he has a built 331 with 175 shot. We agreed to race from a dig, him with E/T streets, and me on street tires. We both line up and do a burnout. He let me have the kick, and as soon as my tired started to grip, my fornt bumper was at his door. When i sprayed, my car was pulling on him real quick. As i was about to pass him, i hit my rev limiter and the car started to overheat so i let off the gas and pulled off to the side of the road. I popped the hood and found that the serpintine belt had cut in half and the power steering pully had shattered to bits. Needless to say, the 5.0 guy took my money and will not give me a rematch.

Story 2: i was riding on the highway one night, when i see a red 95 cobra riding my ***.(my liscense plate cover says "i pimp slap mustangs") he finally pulls beside me, and doesn't do anything. i looked over and saw his pillar/boost gaugeand could hear his supercharger. i tried to gun it a few times but he still wouldn't do anything. As he got close to his exit, he floored it and pulled real hardbut didn't get a chance to react before he exited

Maybe next time i'll have better luck with 5.0's.
damn, too bad. It will come around again. That's why he won't race, you would of won easily I think. You need a larger shot of juice, I bet that beast you have hauls *ss.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bottlefed5.0
Oh man that sucks. I wouldn't have taken your money. If I'm runnin' someone for money and they broke, the manley thing to do is let him keep his money.
I'm with you on this one. Let him keep his money so he can get his car fixed. But than again, how many people say that when they lose. I mean, they may use that as an excuse.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bottlefed5.0
I agree with you a 100%. The thing that pissed me off the most, he turned around (one way street) saw me pulled off the side of the road with my flashers on, passed right by me and went to the start line and collected from my buddys and didnt have the ***** to get the money from me! If it was myself, I would of stopped and helped out in stead of driving off...but then again thats just the kind of person I am.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:35 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

where in northern va i'll see what i can find out about your fox.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats one shady *** fox driver! WTF??!! Just left your *** there...?

Oh and the reason he wasnt gonna give you a rematch is because when you smoked his broke *** for his 20 bucks, you'd have taken the paint off his doors in the process--I guess he just didnt wanna be out that much money for one night on the town.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68maro
where in northern va i'll see what i can find out about your fox.
I live in centreville, but the race went down in Manassas.