Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 SS vs. 80's Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SS vs. 80's Porsche 911

A friend of mine owns an early 80's porsche 911 can't remember exact year 82 maybe non turbo. He wants to race this summer when he gets his car out of storage for the nice weather. My car is 99% stock only mod is a Lid and possibly will have SFC by then. I want to do drag race at a local track. I'm not really into the whole street racing thing. He wants to do a track day at PIR (Portland International Raceway) the Indy cars race their if anyone wathces that. What do you think my chances are?

I am pretty sure I can kill him in a drag race but what about a road course. Obviously driver skill plays a lot in it. He is a very good road racer and I am not as good but a better drag racer.

The course has two pretty good straights on it, do you think I can hang enough in the corners to put distance on him in the straights? Our tires are pretty comparable to each other as far as tread wear and design, mine being larger than his. I think he is running 245's in the rear and 225's in the front. And I got 275's all round.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you can keep up through the turns you will kill him on the straights and make up space and time.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thats kinda what I figured.

Anyone have any info on skidpad ratings for each in stock trim?

I am pretty sure he will out handle me but is it by much?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think they made a non turbo 911 in 1982. If its a non turbo I believe its a 1984 carrera 3.2. They look similar.

1984 non turbo 231 hp
weighs about 2600.
skidpad was around .83'gs
Old 12-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Teching In

i think you will handle him on the road course, it wouldn't be as easy in autoX, but at higher speeds i think you'll take 'em. if he is still running a stock suspension setup then it shouldn't be too bad. your car may not be the best, but it isn't a slouch either. i am no expert on this so don't quote me. i just like to play around with my friends RX-8 sometimes though, that thing is nuts coming through the tight turns.

it'll be a blast either way
Old 12-15-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

I dont think they made a non turbo 911 in 1982. If its a non turbo I believe its a 1984 carrera 3.2. They look similar.
It's an 81 porsche 911 non turbo. Which is the only way they came in 81 in America apparently. The turbo was not available from 80 - 81 in America and reintroduced in 82 as an option. And he has stock everything except for tires.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will honestly take him. If you are both the same skilled drivers, then you'll toast him. The LS1 FBody (WS6 atleast, others were probably the same) has been tested to slalom at just over 65 m.p.h., lateral G grip has shown .89, although .87 is the average, they brake from 60-0 in just 123 feet, and have a weight distribution of 53% F, 47% R which is REALLY good. All the above help to prove why Steve Millen took an '01 SS around a road course faster than a Benz SLK 230, Honda S2000, BMW M Roadster, and Porsche Boxster S. He also commented on how well balanced the SS was and how he could lap in it all day long.

Now, unless an '81 Carrera can outlap any of those cars, you don't have anything to worry about as long as you know how to drive your car. The fact that your car will absolutely rape his on the straightaways only adds insult to injury to the fact that your car with stock suspension can also outhandle his around the corners.

Hope the above info helped. Have fun!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Teching In

get a good front-end alignment before you road-race... the stock alignment spec sucks. go max negative camber, caster at 4.25ish, and toe to be around 0-1/8" in.

however, road racing has a lot to do with driving skill. if he beats you, it's not your car's fault.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
You will honestly take him. If you are both the same skilled drivers, then you'll toast him. The LS1 FBody (WS6 atleast, others were probably the same) has been tested to slalom at just over 65 m.p.h., lateral G grip has shown .89, although .87 is the average, they brake from 60-0 in just 123 feet, and have a weight distribution of 53% F, 47% R which is REALLY good. All the above help to prove why Steve Millen took an '01 SS around a road course faster than a Benz SLK 230, Honda S2000, BMW M Roadster, and Porsche Boxster S. He also commented on how well balanced the SS was and how he could lap in it all day long.

Now, unless an '81 Carrera can outlap any of those cars, you don't have anything to worry about as long as you know how to drive your car. The fact that your car will absolutely rape his on the straightaways only adds insult to injury to the fact that your car with stock suspension can also outhandle his around the corners.

Hope the above info helped. Have fun!
All those numbers are BS since he wasn't the one putting them up! However, you shouldn't have a hard time beating him in a foot race, let alone your car, unless he has it set-up for road racin and knows how to drive. Just run tha dude and then post about it.......as far as the "max neg-camber" goes, that isn't necessarily the best approach. You need to figure in the tires(treadwear), weight of the vehicle, weight bias front/rear, compound of tire; you can't just say get all the camber you can. Too much can be just as bad as not enough.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

A few best lap times from the article are as follows:
Mercedes SLK320 - 2:20.87
Honda S2000 - 2:17.66
Porsche Boxster - 2:17.46
BMW M Roadster - 2:17.28
Chevrolet Camaro SS - 2:16.46
Acura NSX - 2:14.15
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2:08.39

And this was on a fairly balanced track (some long straights, some VERY tight turns, several quick transitions). To eliminate error/inconsistencies from different car magazine drivers, all test times were derived from multiple laps driven in each car by Le Mans winner and record holding IMSA driver Steve Millen. He also had the following to say about the base Camaro SS he drove at the track:

"The Camaro is a very smooth car to drive with nice linear power and a broad powerband. It feels stable and planted through quick corners — even sliding, it still feels very connected, so you're not worried about what it's going to do. Compared with the Corvette, driving the SS is easier physically. This car, you could lap all day."

On a side note, the car tested had the standard SS suspension (skidpad of .86 g's). A lot of them have the optional suspension (including mine) which increases the skidpad to .90 g's, is even more stable in transitions, and lowers the ride height about one inch.

i think your car is very capable of taking him out.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Cool thanks for the info.

How do I tell if my car has the optional suspension?

Would it be listed on the door jam sticker? Mine only says Optional Exhaust (the dual/dual)