Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

reply...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply...

Quote by 5.8litrels1eater:

I'm sorry to break it to you, but check out the vette times........they aren't doing too greta compared to f-bodies. With 450rwhp I was running low 11's(there's a vid of me running 11.6@123 on this site somewhere) and I weigh 500+pounds more, so whats your point, because I'm missing it???????

The reason they are slow is simple.......and it's the same as many other cars. The cars are so easy to mod, that nobody takes their time to learn how to DRIVE. Therefore, the 03/04 cobra crowd gets a bunch of horrible 1/4 mile times because of bad drivers. The only other factor is weight, which is made up for by making more horsepower anyway.

The Z06 is a sweet car, no doubt about it. I passed up the Z06 to get the cobra. I wouldn't say that the cobra is better, but it fit my needs better. The Z06 will outhandle my car any day of the week, and that's fine. And with mods., one can be made just as fast as the other. BUT, on that note, I have watched PLENTY of 500+rwhp vette guys run in the 12's, just as I have watched the viper, cobra, fbody, supra, and every other crowd there is. It's all in the driving. (end quote)

SINCE THE THREAD WAS LOCKED FOR REASONS UNKNOWN TO ME BEFORE I COULD REPLY:

My point? It takes a Cobra about 100 more rwhp to run the same times. I'm on stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. I bet you ran on slicks huh? I could be in the 10's with slicks. Maybe you don't remember or haven't heard, but J-Rod (LS1tech member here in Houston) ran an 11.8 with a stock Z06 (352 rwhp) by doing the tie wrap mod to the air box and putting on slicks. And yeah, he is a very good driver.

Last edited by Dean-o; 02-03-2005 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quote Unit 213:

Nice work.

I ran 11.29 @ 123mph with just 450rwhp in a 3,850lb Cobra on a bullshit 1.85 60'. That's easily 400lbs more than your C5 and only 40rwhp more.

I reiterate...what's you're point? (End Quote)

My point is stated above, and my car weighs 3080 lbs. I could do better with tires, but with IRS Corvettes aren't a drag race car like f-bodies. But I don't care, I would rather have the superior handling and brakes. I didn't buy the Z06 to go fast in a straight line all of the time. I intend to start autocrossing the car, and more horsepower just makes it harder to accelerate out of corners. I already have traction issues as it is...LOL! So in conclusion, I'm not knocking Cobras, just pointing out due to weight, they need about 100 more rwhp to run the same times as me.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

what is your best et & mph @ 411/375?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean-o
they need about 100 more rwhp to run the same times as me.
Did you not read the part where I said I ran the same times at you with only 40rwhp more, but with 800more pounds? My trap speed was probably 5mph higher than yours though.

You're Z06 is a great car, no question about it.

Last edited by unit213; 02-03-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would take a z06 over a 03 cobra with my eyes closed and both legs cut off. i cant justify 500/month for a cobra that looks like a gt with a different bumper and wing if u ask me.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
i cant justify 500/month for a cobra that looks like a gt with a different bumper and wing if u ask me.
Good thing no one asked you.

$500/month is nothing.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

in my opinion, ford did the right thing by making the 03 alot more powerful than previous models, but they fucked up by keeping the same bodystyle. the wing and front bumper doesnt cut it. thats another reason why the gto isnt doing that great because it looks like a damn grand prix. i am sorry to say it, but alot of car sales are not so great because manufacturers went all out under the hood and forgot about the outside which unfourtunately is what sells cars.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Good thing no one asked you.

$500/month is nothing.
it is for a gt with a body kit.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator

it is for a gt with a body kit.
...and 700rwhp.

I meant that $500/month is nothing to me. My Cobra is $700/month since I'm on the 3 year plan. $700/month is no big deal either. It sure is nice having a high paying job.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I still don't understand your point????? Look how much the cobra's weigh compared to the Z06 and you will get your answer as to why the Z06 is faster with less hp. It's OBVIOUS.
And you "could" be in the 10's with slicks, but you might not be??????? That's a stupid argument to make . I could be in the 6's if I had a alcy. funny car motor in my car, but I don't????

Now, on to the cobra is just a gt with ground effect, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUR SS IS!!!!!!!! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Actually, if you ask around, MANY (even ls1 owners) agree that the 03/4 cobra is the best looking stang out. It's got a badass stance, front, rear, and sides (this is opinion, and obviously you don't agree, which, I think might go against the majority).

At any rate, I like the Z06, I like the fbods, I like LOTS of cars. HP to weight ratio is an OBVIOUS advantage for the Z06, and NOBODY is going to argue that. The Z06 is a light car, and it's got a badass powerplant. IT BETTER be running better times than the 03/4 cobra as it weighs in OVER 500 pounds lighter.

I'm also on the 3 year plan, BUT, I put a lot more down and got the car for only 24 so my payments are a little lower than 700/month.

Also, I really don't give a **** about "J-rod", as my friend, who lives literally 1 minute away, ran a 12.0 in his BONESTOCK (tires, filter and all) 02 Z06. I don't need to see someone elses timeslip, as I have personally witnessed it.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dean-o
My point is stated above, and my car weighs 3080 lbs. I could do better with tires, but with IRS Corvettes aren't a drag race car like f-bodies. But I don't care, I would rather have the superior handling and brakes. I didn't buy the Z06 to go fast in a straight line all of the time. I intend to start autocrossing the car, and more horsepower just makes it harder to accelerate out of corners. I already have traction issues as it is...LOL! So in conclusion, I'm not knocking Cobras, just pointing out due to weight, they need about 100 more rwhp to run the same times as me.
YEA............The cobra comes with IRS too you know?? What's your point?? It's definately not as good at handling compared to the Z06, but it's worlds ahead of a stock mustang GT in the handling department.

So in your conclusion, EVERYONE AGREE'S WITH YOU. Why in the world did you have to make another post to state the obvious????

"do to weight, they ned about 100 more rwhp to run the same times as me." In your case, NO. I ran better times than you with just 40rwhp more . My car weighs in at 3865 race weight, 3675 dry. That's 600 pounds HEAVIER than your car. ALso, slicks or not, if the track prep isn't there, no car is going to hook, I don't care what size tire you put under it (11.6@123).

In closing, thanks for stating what anybody with half a brain already knew .
Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 5.8litrels1eater
I still don't understand your point????? Look how much the cobra's weigh compared to the Z06 and you will get your answer as to why the Z06 is faster with less hp. It's OBVIOUS.
And you "could" be in the 10's with slicks, but you might not be??????? That's a stupid argument to make . I could be in the 6's if I had a alcy. funny car motor in my car, but I don't????

Now, on to the cobra is just a gt with ground effect, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUR SS IS!!!!!!!! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Actually, if you ask around, MANY (even ls1 owners) agree that the 03/4 cobra is the best looking stang out. It's got a badass stance, front, rear, and sides (this is opinion, and obviously you don't agree, which, I think might go against the majority).

At any rate, I like the Z06, I like the fbods, I like LOTS of cars. HP to weight ratio is an OBVIOUS advantage for the Z06, and NOBODY is going to argue that. The Z06 is a light car, and it's got a badass powerplant. IT BETTER be running better times than the 03/4 cobra as it weighs in OVER 500 pounds lighter.

I'm also on the 3 year plan, BUT, I put a lot more down and got the car for only 24 so my payments are a little lower than 700/month.

Also, I really don't give a **** about "J-rod", as my friend, who lives literally 1 minute away, ran a 12.0 in his BONESTOCK (tires, filter and all) 02 Z06. I don't need to see someone elses timeslip, as I have personally witnessed it.
nobody is arguing that the cobra is not a good powerplant. it is without a doubt perhaps the best bang for the buck. i can pick one up here in miami for 24k dollars used. but why do that if i can also pick up a z06 for 29? cobra is very powerful, but the look of the car doesnt cut it. it is the same style as the gt minus the wing and bumper. i dont know where you guys live,but here in miami there are too many damn exotics and a cobra is just like having a honda civic as far as looks..(lol) pull up to south beach and you will see what i am talking about. granted, this has nothing to do with which car pulls more females, but all i am saying is that the vette does both..performance and looks.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You drive a z28 with a hood an spoiler???? You are stating something that's PURE opinion.

A Z06 is extremely close looking to a normal C5, ever seen an FRC (99 i believe)...it's a z06 without the brake ducts. I see at MIN. 4-5 Z06's a day. I see 3 03 cobra's at most a day. I like the cobra's looks better, but teh Z06 is still badass. It's OPINION, and not worth arguing.

You must feel like the guy in the honda civic though, since LS1 fbod. SS's by far out number 03/4 cobras.....

To add to this, I DO like the SS, the WS6, the Z28, the T/a, the C5, the Z06, the C6, I like them all. I had the choice of buying an 02 Z06 or an 03 cobra, and I took the 03 cobra. IT's personal opinion, and if you don't like it, that's fine, but don't use "looks" as a form of argument, as it's just an opinion.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

You drive a z28 with a hood an spoiler???? You are stating something that's PURE opinion.

A Z06 is extremely close looking to a normal C5, ever seen an FRC (99 i believe)...it's a z06 without the brake ducts. I see at MIN. 4-5 Z06's a day. I see 3 03 cobra's at most a day. I like the cobra's looks better, but teh Z06 is still badass. It's OPINION, and not worth arguing.
this got nothing to do with it being a c5 body style. it is still the same bad *** looking ride. 03 cobras here are like hondas. very very cheap because once again it is where i live that makes the cobra not so good. besides, i have yet to see one here run strong at the track which i have said plenty of times before. i guess all florida drivers are terrible, but thats not my point.
go to the local scene and pull up iin your 700rwhp and u will have the ford crowd's attention. go to the local scene in a supercharged z06 and you will have the chevy crowd's attention plus females.. then again, i am a single guy with no kids or wife to come home to and i live in the female capital of the world.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this got nothing to do with it being a c5 body style. it is still the same bad *** looking ride. 03 cobras here are like hondas. very very cheap because once again it is where i live that makes the cobra not so good. besides, i have yet to see one here run strong at the track which i have said plenty of times before. i guess all florida drivers are terrible, but thats not my point.
go to the local scene and pull up iin your 700rwhp and u will have the ford crowd's attention. go to the local scene in a supercharged z06 and you will have the chevy crowd's attention plus females.. then again, i am a single guy with no kids or wife to come home to and i live in the female capital of the world.
Seriously, there's no sense in arguing opinion. I do agree with the girls part, but that's pretty sad if you need a car to pull a girl in the first place. You call the cobra cheap, yet you drive an SS . Your arguments really don't hold too much merit here.

You talk about you not seeing cobra's run strong at the track, but then I see this...

"1999 camaro SS, tr 224/224 112 lsa, hooker long tubes, x pipe, lid, asp crank pulley
363rwhp and 368ft/lbs tq
best e.t. so far:
12.59@113 with 1.98 60ft"

My brothers bonestock 00 WS6 has ran a 12.87 BONESTOCK (including the F1's). No sense in arguing any more, as this topic wasn't even about what you are trying to make it.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seriously, there's no sense in arguing opinion. I do agree with the girls part, but that's pretty sad if you need a car to pull a girl in the first place. You call the cobra cheap, yet you drive an SS . Your arguments really don't hold too much merit here.

You talk about you not seeing cobra's run strong at the track, but then I see this...

"1999 camaro SS, tr 224/224 112 lsa, hooker long tubes, x pipe, lid, asp crank pulley
363rwhp and 368ft/lbs tq
best e.t. so far:
12.59@113 with 1.98 60ft"

My brothers bonestock 00 WS6 has ran a 12.87 BONESTOCK (including the F1's). No sense in arguing any more, as this topic wasn't even about what you are trying to make it.
reason why i am picking up a z06 very soon? lol
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

reason why i am picking up a z06 very soon? lol
also, there is no need to have a car to pick up females, but it just happens to be one of the side effects of owning a vette...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also, there is no need to have a car to pick up females, but it just happens to be one of the side effects of owning a vette...
lol, I'm glad my g/f thinks the vette looks like a "chicks" car as she puts it . I disagree, but it's still funny hearing it. Well, when you pick up that z06, let me know, untill then, you don't have one.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, I'm glad my g/f thinks the vette looks like a "chicks" car as she puts it . I disagree, but it's still funny hearing it. Well, when you pick up that z06, let me know, untill then, you don't have one.
coming soon.. shhhhhhhhh
Old 02-03-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

well before spending $40,000+ on any car, check out the lotus elise.......