Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

converted a ricer! (LONG Story)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converted a ricer! (LONG Story)

I was at the car wash today and a you right out of highschool kid pulls up beside me. He makes his way over to my ride and asks "what you got in that thing?" I tell him all my mods and stuff (in sig.) and he proceeds to tell me that his car (an older model 4 door Toyota Corolla) is pretty quick for what it is. He also opend his hood and let me see some type of header set up he had. (Very interesting). Hel also then proceeds to tell me that for a near stock exhaust setup that it was pretty loud and he started her up and reved the sh*t out of that little four banger. I tryed to act as impressed as I could without laughing. He then tried to explain to me that no one has ever beaten him from 20-40 mph. Even his friend with a mustang GT couldnt beat him from 20-40. He asked me how fast I have been in my car and I said around 140 or so. He then let me know that he had gotten his car up around 150 even though his speedometer only goes to 110, but he could still tell it was pulling. He was telling me when he gets some money saved up that he was going to buy an audi TT and that they can pound vettes all day because of all wheel drive. I quickly let him know that that was FALSE! Well after listening to his horse sh*t stories he asked if he could take a ride..... "ABSOLUTELY", I said! So I take off out the carwash and spin and slide all over the place. He was scared sh*tless! I also made sure i did a 20-40 punch to burst his bubble. He proceeded to say, "HOLY sh*t your car is the fastest car I have ever been in. Fu*k that audi im getting an american muscle car! There is no way I can compete with you car 20-40 or at any speed for that matter. I want a V8".

I feel that I have done my duty for the day by teaching a punk ricer kid about V8 power! Now can I get some love?????????
Old 02-14-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good story. Every now and then one like this gets posted. Its sure nice to let the dumbasses know exactly what they are missing out on. They think they are fast and all, then you actually toss them in a car that moves and they cant shut their mouth about it. lol.

The only problem is....would you want someone with that dumbass mentality behind a wheel of a loaded V8???
Old 02-14-2005, 03:38 AM
Staging Lane

i remember the first time my friend took me for a ride in his 98 z28 (a4 with 3.42s).
Before then , the fastest thing i have every been in is an integra and a v6 mustang(dont laugh).

at the start of the ride he went super slow pretending it was nothing special, then he took it to about 25-27 mphs and slammed it(kick down into first). i felt like i was being shot out of cannon. I said holy **** about 100 times. from that day on, i became a domestic car guy.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love a story with a happy ending.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Old 02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

I remember when my friend opend my eyes.. i use to want a civic hatch!! he had a 95 mustang GT let me drive it changed my life forever i love that man. uh without being gay that is...
Old 02-14-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

before i got my Z, i was looking at some lod school DSM'z TSI awd, GSX....i really liked those cars and i wanted one. The first time i hit it and the turbo spooled is was like holy sh*t..that was scary!!

THen, my dad took me to his buddy at the chevy dealership, my dad only drives GM since i can remember (he had a 68 camaro 350) and told to see wat they had. I saw a few camaro'z but they were all red and beige. No offense, but i dont like that combination in a sports car. anyways, there was this silver/black z28 auto in the used car section. I was like yeah, there fast but not like my stock turbo....ahahahahaha!!

The sales guy gave me the keys and said, lets find out......OMG did i ever!!! I pulled out and hit the main street. Just cruising. I turned into a side street and he said hit so i did not thinking anything from it....dude!! THat was the fastest car i have ever been in...and im still in it!!!! Been hooked ever since that day....

It always feels good to show the ignorant masses wat a really sports car can do with a wake up call like that..... i bet he is now trying to converting all of his buddies
Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Nice!! Keep up the conversions!! LOL
Old 02-14-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01sloWs6
Nice!! Keep up the conversions!! LOL

Yeah good Thread
Old 02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never even been in or driven a low 14 sec car . But I do think my moms 02 Infinity I-35 is fast, 3.5L V6 . I think the way it works is you get a really slow car (17+ sec. car), then when you get a faster car, you think it's the fastest car on the road. When or if I do get in a V8 (car that is, my truck isn't that fast ), I will find out what a fast car really is.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by deetsnai
i remember the first time my friend took me for a ride in his 98 z28 (a4 with 3.42s).
Before then , the fastest thing i have every been in is an integra and a v6 mustang(dont laugh).

at the start of the ride he went super slow pretending it was nothing special, then he took it to about 25-27 mphs and slammed it(kick down into first). i felt like i was being shot out of cannon. I said holy **** about 100 times. from that day on, i became a domestic car guy.

Bahaha I know exactly what you're talkinga bout. the 25mph A4 Kickdown into first is BRUTAL if your passenger doesn't know what's up. I always try and use that to impress people who think that a 1.8t vw is a "really fast car".
Old 02-14-2005, 06:36 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000 SILVERADO
I've never even been in or driven a low 14 sec car . But I do think my moms 02 Infinity I-35 is fast, 3.5L V6 . I think the way it works is you get a really slow car (17+ sec. car), then when you get a faster car, you think it's the fastest car on the road. When or if I do get in a V8 (car that is, my truck isn't that fast ), I will find out what a fast car really is.
Actually, that's pretty much exactly what happened with me. My first car was a ford tempo (MAYBE a 17 second car?), and After that I got a 94 Mustang GT... I had to drive the tempo again for a few days while my dad "got the mustang checked out" (i.e. had some fun driving my car) by some mechanic friends of his... and I knew then that I would never be able to drive a regular car again. I gotta have that low end V8 torque, I honestly don't feel safe on the road without it... I dont' feel like I can use the car to get myself out of trouble, etc.

Moral of the story, don't drive a v8 until you can afford to buy one, because you WILL buy one.

I'll be finished paying for mine in (drum roll) august 2009.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Skarecrow

I'll be finished paying for mine in (drum roll) august 2009.
That's like what another car or so in interest? That sucks.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

My best friend converted me to american muscle.
I used to drive a ford focus (hey, why are you laffing?!). well he had a v6 (stop laffing damnit!) camaro.
I said "This feels pretty fast". he says "wanna drive?" well, who in their right damn mind would pass up the chance to drive an f-bod. I jump into the drivers side and he says "this parking lot is pretty empty...i bet you could do one hell of a...." and didnt say any more. i shot off like a rocket, and was sold.
Then i got my TA. i'll never drive anything with less than 8 cyl. again.

I then, being the nice guy that i am, converted (or failed to convert) my brother.
He swore up and down his honda could take me off the line "It's FWD!!!" (his ONLY argument.....ignoring that stock, my car made more tq than his did peak ANYTHING). So he hops in on the way to get my tattoo. the shop was about 1\4 mile from the light....so what do i do? I show him the light....no playing around. light turned green. stomped it. (and ironicly, a honda with a bajillion sitkcers (he MUST have had like 8 billion hp!!!!!!11) is next to me. well, needless to say, after my brother catches his breath from screaming at the TOP of his lungs for this very brief run....he was sold.

Or so i thought, he bought a Neon SRT-4 =(
Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first car was a 94 Toyota Corrola in 1996. I worked my *** of for two years to buy a mustang and my dad made me get that. I was crushed. It was my money but it was that or nothing. I'm sort of glad now because it made me appreciate the power. I found a 96 cayenne red camaro about sixe months later with 8k miles on it. I fell in love. I thought the 16x8 245 wide tires were slicks back then compared to my corolla, they seemed huge! It had 200 hp and I DID think it was the fastest thing on the road. So did all of my friends too. Then when I turned 21 and my insurance plumeted it was on. Btw, my parents have NEVER funded my hobby of automobiles. I found my 2000 SS in early 2001. It was only ten months old with 12k miles. I thought I just bought an f16 the first time I road in it. Damn it was plush, black on black, leather, t-tops, monsoon system. About 18 months later it was slow as hell so I threw a cam and headers in it and bought a nitrous kit. Still slow a year later so I just bought a QMP kit a few days ago. A buddy of mine who already has one running way more boost than I will have on a forged engine thinks his cas is slow and is now going to twins and shooting for 1200hp. Just goes to show you that you will never be satisfied. It cracks me up when these ricers think their stock cars are monsters. I have had a few opportunities to show them the truth and it is the best feeling in the world. For them, its like taking your first breath and wondering where in the hell you have been all this time.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These stories are awesome! I have a similar story, all of my buddies had the 4cy type vehicles which i thought were decent. I was bound and determined to buy a integra GS-R. However i happened to be driving by a car dealership and saw a particularly nice 95 white z28 a4. Took her out for a test drive, just out of the dealers sight i let her rip and boy of boy was i changed forever. Once those tires broke loose from 30 mph and proceeded to scratch 2nd gear i was hooked. I talked about that test drive for a month until i found my old red 94 z28 that already had a few bolt ons and seemed much faster than the white one. Had it for a few years, needed to row my own gears. So i sold it and bought my SS and it started all over, LS1 power is even better!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

We should start a challenge:
How many ricers can you convert in a week.
lol
Old 02-14-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was also converted. I used to drive a '92 Toyota Celica GT M5 coupe. Yeah, it had the 17" rims, fart cannon, intake, etc, but it was seriously one DAMN clean looking car. If it weren't for the fart pipe, it would have been gorgeous (although I thought the fart pipe was cool then). I hung out with all the sport-compactors/ricers so naturally we all thought our high 15's/low-mid-high 16 second cars were the ****.

Anyways, I had a few 5.0 buddies. One day at a "Battle of the High Schools" at our local 1/4 mile track, my buddy with a mint '92 green/gray two-tone 5.0 let me run his car down the track. When I got in that car, I was so nervous because 1. I was so damn excited to be driving RWD, V8 power, and 2. IMO, it was powerful as HELL (stock, lol).

So the tree drops green, I nail it and spin through 1st. "HOLY ****" I thought to myself because I thought the feeling was awesome. Going all the way down the strip (had a buddy ride with me too), I ran a 15.1 @ 92 m.p.h. in that thing. That was also my first time ever drag racing (this was April, 2003, I was 18). I thought that was ridiculously quick, and couldn't believe that I just took a car down the 1/4 in 15.1 seconds at 92 m.p.h.

From then on to the rest of the school year, I couldn't stop talking about that day and that car. I was HOOKED on V8's: their power, their feel, their sound, and their impression left on the driver and passerby's. I was looking at 5.0's forever, then researched and found I could afford an LT1 FBody, so I was like HELL YEAH. Started looking for '94-'96 Z28's, then T/A's, then around that fall started looking for LS1's. "Might as well go all out" I thought to myself. After about 8 total months of looking for an FBody, I found mine on AutoTrader in Pittsburgh in January of '04, and had her shipped home.

The rest is history...
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Since I got the Snake last year, I've probably converted a dozen or so of the kids who formerly wanted rice rockets. When it's slow and there's nobody to race, I'll grab a couple and go do a dry run. Without exception, it's the fastest thing they've ever been in and the reactions are just PRICELESS! Ya gotta love it.