Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Formula vs SR20'ed 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Formula vs SR20'ed 240sx

Well, on my way to my GF's house tonight I came across a nice red 240sx hatchback with black wheels. I was driving along and he pulled along side of me. I looked over and saw that it was a skinny asian kid driving it but he was with his GF so i just kept on with my business when he gave me a BOV salute. So i dropped it down into 3rd gear at about 70 and got over in the other clear lane next to him and waited for him to go.

We both gunned it at about the same time. Through third gear we were dead even, I was extremely suprised by this car. When i hit fourth gear i barely started inching on him. Through third gear it was dead even, in fourth i put MAYBE a quarter of a car on him (I could still see part of his front bumper out of my periphial vision off to the side of my winshield). We both gave a thumbs up and went on about our business. It was definitely a quick car, and that was probably the closest race I've had in a good long time. The only real identifiable markings on it was a small sticker on the rear window that I think said "Living Dreams" or something of the sort.

For me to only put a quarter car on it from a 70-120ish roll is awesome. Definitely a :thup: goes to the car and driver.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
Well, on my way to my GF's house tonight I came across a nice red 240sx hatchback with black wheels. I was driving along and he pulled along side of me. I looked over and saw that it was a skinny asian kid driving it but he was with his GF so i just kept on with my business when he gave me a BOV salute. So i dropped it down into 3rd gear at about 70 and got over in the other clear lane next to him and waited for him to go.

We both gunned it at about the same time. Through third gear we were dead even, I was extremely suprised by this car. When i hit fourth gear i barely started inching on him. Through third gear it was dead even, in fourth i put MAYBE a quarter of a car on him (I could still see part of his front bumper out of my periphial vision off to the side of my winshield). We both gave a thumbs up and went on about our business. It was definitely a quick car, and that was probably the closest race I've had in a good long time. The only real identifiable markings on it was a small sticker on the rear window that I think said "Living Dreams" or something of the sort.

For me to only put a quarter car on it from a 70-120ish roll is awesome. Definitely a :thup: goes to the car and driver.
do u know what kinda rwhp ur puttin out
Old 02-19-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStheBest
do u know what kinda rwhp ur puttin out
b/c that seemed like it was a close race and ur not exactly stock from what i see in ur sig....BTW i figured that u would be runnin alittle faster than a 13.6 et.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

there is a guy with one of those around here talking tons of trash. wanting to race me. i figure i should beat him, just not sure. i ran a best of 8.66 @ 85mph in the 1/8. wonder what kinda 1/4 i would get? hmmm.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squall01
there is a guy with one of those around here talking tons of trash. wanting to race me. i figure i should beat him, just not sure. i ran a best of 8.66 @ 85mph in the 1/8. wonder what kinda 1/4 i would get? hmmm.
Assuming the car is setup the same as the car above you shouldnt have much of a problem. If a 13.6 guy pulls a 1/4 of a car a low 13 / high 12 guy should pull quite nicely.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Yeah my car is still running kind of rough right now. I'm tracking down an ignition and fuel problem which is the cause for my low numbers. I will say this though, I can hang with a stock LS1 on the highway from a 70-140 roll, so highway runs are definitely show my car's true potential if you will.

But anyway, the track opens up March 5th, I should have most of my ignition problem fixed by then, and I'm hoping for some low 13's or a high 12 @ 107ish.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah my car is still running kind of rough right now. I'm tracking down an ignition and fuel problem which is the cause for my low numbers. I will say this though, I can hang with a stock LS1 on the highway from a 70-140 roll, so highway runs are definitely show my car's true potential if you will.

But anyway, the track opens up March 5th, I should have most of my ignition problem fixed by then, and I'm hoping for some low 13's or a high 12 @ 107ish.
Me and some guys were talking about this the other day. A few of us had LT1's and were commenting that when they were stock they were kind of sluggish from a dig, but pulled surprisingly well from a highway roll. Of course, none stayed stock for long!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Teching In

oops.. bringing back from dead sorry.

WhiteSSP, incase u read this, did the red 240 have a flat black Silvia front end?

i probably know the skinny looking asian kid.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Default i dont know

Originally Posted by squall01
where im from there are several people with sr20 swaps in there 240s, i have 2 93 camaro z28s, one is stock with a flowmaster, i raced my friends 1990 240 with an sr20det(on 7 psi) and i pulled on him pretty decently, but just by raising the boost they can generate much more hp, and can hit a high 13 on 12 pounds of boost on the stock turbo. If you are going to race, do it from a dead stop. My friend todd has an SR, back when he was running a 13.9 he raced a 99 ws6 trans am with slp loudmouth exhaust from a 40 roll, and pulled 2 carlengths. (from a roll the driver can brakeboost there car giving them a radical launch on high boost), id beware, because srs are no joke, i just wouldnt bet the farm on a win.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Wink

If your ever in chatt, tn look me up ill show ya a stockz that rolls from 70-140
Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Wow this thread is OLLLDDDD haha. I actually just sold my car probably a month and a half ago, so all I have now is the SRT4 Never got back to the track to see how it would do. I'm actually going tomorrow to look at trading it in on a 99 TA thats for sale at a local dealership, I miss RWD and everything about the F body's.

And I dont remember if that car had a black front bumper or not.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I used to own a 1990 240SX fastback, but with the stock KA24E engine, not the SR20. It was a fun little car and kinda quick for a 4 cylinder because the car was so light, and the handling was awesome! I can imagine that SR20 must be fast considering it makes 205hp and the car weighs 2600lbs, but I've heard that they still are not as fast as LS1 or LT1 powered cars, a SR20DET 240 is more at the level of stock Mustang GTs (assuming the SR isn't at12 lbs of boost lol). Theres another engine thats a popular swap in the 240s called the RB26DETT (Skyline engine), which is a 2.4L I6 that makes 320HP. Maybe the one you raced had that engine in it, that would definitely explain why it kept up with you. Did he say he had the SR20DET?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

My freind went 12.8 with the stock turbo, with some boltons they def move out.

He is on a very large turbo now, and has slicks on the car should be in the low 11s this year.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Beware of the SR20 motored cars. They have extreme potiential with the correct tuning & turbo.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula_X
I used to own a 1990 240SX fastback, but with the stock KA24E engine, not the SR20. It was a fun little car and kinda quick for a 4 cylinder because the car was so light, and the handling was awesome! I can imagine that SR20 must be fast considering it makes 205hp and the car weighs 2600lbs, but I've heard that they still are not as fast as LS1 or LT1 powered cars, a SR20DET 240 is more at the level of stock Mustang GTs (assuming the SR isn't at12 lbs of boost lol). Theres another engine thats a popular swap in the 240s called the RB26DETT (Skyline engine), which is a 2.4L I6 that makes 320HP. Maybe the one you raced had that engine in it, that would definitely explain why it kept up with you. Did he say he had the SR20DET?
I agree 100% with this post.

I had a 91 240SX SE 5 Speed with Super Hicas. That little motor had 155 fwhp/160 fwtq and weighed 2200 lbs. It handled very well and had some good get up and go.

It would not surprise me to see that car keep up with an LS1/LT1 if it had an SR20DET with a bigger turbo. The options are endless for those engines.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy has a 240 with the 300zx TT motor. He used to have an SR20 in it and with the money he had in it beleive me it would **** and get. I remember him running a trans am(i know it was modded but i cant remember what all was done) but he was beating the TA before it sprayed. I was impressed.

Quick Reply: Formula vs SR20'ed 240sx