Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

WS6 vs. 'big turbo' SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WS6 vs. 'big turbo' SRT-4

Don't know how many country fans there are here, but if you happen to be one, then you proabbly know about that newer song they play all the time, the "That's what I love about Sundays" song? Sings about the usual.. church, backyard football, fried chicken, fishing, SRT4's... er wait no, that's my version

It's late afternoon/early evening Sunday and, in a remarkable turn of events for me, I'm not wrenching away under one of the cars. Rather me and some friends are loafing around with not much to do. No football, no SpeedVision, things are looking pretty dismal. That's about the time the little bulb goes off in the old brain, and I ask my friend "Hey Angel, you thirsty?", "Mmm not really". Giving him the 'look', I ask again "are you suuure?" I guess he got the idea because he suddenly wears the same evil gril I do. "Yea, actually I can go for a drink". And with that, we grab keys and off to the driveway we go, paying no mind to the various assorment of beverages I have in my fridge, and instead head off in the direction of a small gas station near my home.. which just happens to parallel a small municipal airport.. which just happens to be bordered by a nice quiet 2 lane stretch of blacktop. Amazing how some thing work out

Anywho, Angel and his g/f jump into her blue '04 SRT-4 (he owns the turbo 240SX from my other kill story). Current mods include: Tubular manifold, T04E 60-trim turbocharger (massive upgrade from the stock pea shooter), TiAL 38mm wastegate, 3" turboback piping, AGP large front mount intercooler, hardpipes, injectors and an AFC for fuel control. Just laid down 349whp on the rollers after all the mods and I've had the pleasure of driving it sometime before, very sweet and broad torque curve, more top end than a stock LS1 that's for sure!

Off to the road we head, SRT ahead and me and a friend in my lid/catback WS6 following. A quick pass through to ensure no supprises and we end up and an end light together facing nothing but open asphalt. We decided to give it 2 runs, the first from a dig and the last from a 40mph roll. Light goes green and we wait just a moment before they commence with the 3 honk. 1..2..3! We're off and running and I've got a pretty decent launch after a quick slip of the clutch. The tach climbs and the bird has us nailed back, I grab the shifter and flick er' into 2nd, all the whle the SRT is deceptivley quiet hanging roughly a car or so back. It's about the time I realize he's going a little 'too' slow that I hear the wastegate SCREAM to life while the front tires spin without mercy. I remebered that he had to keep the car at part throttle, the only way to prevent sitting and spinning for 3 gears, ahh yes a clear reminder of why I ditched wrong-wheel drive lol! The smirk on my face doesn't last terribly long, the SRT is moving awfull quick now and the shrill of the wastegate is getting ever closer to my ear as I ring out 2nd and 3rd gears. 5800 comes up, throw 4th and the bug eyed Neon is now sitting at the back of my door while I do everything I can (mash the throttle that is..) to keep the bird ahead. Thankfully, just as the speeds approach the truly unsafe range, our friends let off.. whew!!! Just in time too, there's no question that SRT was catching me

With one down and one left to go, we loop back around to our starting point, once again checking the road for any potential supprises, and line em' up from a 40mph roll. We look at each other, ready to go, *beep... beep.. beep* and the breif quiet soon turns to a loud *pSHHHHHHHHH* as the SRT spools and rockets away! I push the car as far as she'll go, running through the gears as hard as she'll let me, throw 3rd and to my amazement, the SRT isn't pulling nearly as hard as I'd originally thought it would. After roughly a car length put on me, I nail 4th and keep on it while the SRT is still screaming away, though at this point (high 4th for me) the rate of pull had decreased substantially, but there was no question about it, the damn skittle gave me a good whoppin' and there was no catching it, and so with the loss in hand we let off and return to a more sane speed.

That pretty much capped off the night for me, I asked for a 1st gear roll knowing full well I'd have a better shot with their lack of traction, but I guess they knew that too and declined Oh well, I had two thing stand out for me after these events. 1- Damn that SRT-4's.. and 2- I underestimated the higher speed pull of the LS1. At this point, a set of LT's and ORY never sounded better, can't wait to see what she'll pull like with another 50+whp when the bolt-ons are 'done'.. "Psst hey Neon, wanna run?"

Cliffs: Had a fun run with a friend's 349whp SRT-4 and lost, but gave me new respect for both cars!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice runs. Damn modded skittles be quick!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

yep 2 or my friends HAD them and there damn quick....both are gone already tho...the 1st friend went thru 3 trannys then just traded it in...the other friend drove it way to easy and traded it in for a truck.....in my city there is a infestation of them
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
Nice runs. Damn modded skittles be quick!
You're right about that. My friend has one and he ran a 13.9 with out any performance mods other than a short shifter.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:33 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet runs. I have profound respect for turbo upgrade skittles, or skittle on the juice. Those buggers run hard.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

u only had Lid/Catback and he only put a Car on you???!!!! Sad little Skittle I really thought he would have donkey punched ya? All that money and barley smokes a Base Mod TA
Old 04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

nice runs....damn long story though
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
u only had Lid/Catback and he only put a Car on you???!!!! Sad little Skittle I really thought he would have donkey punched ya? All that money and barley smokes a Base Mod TA
True, but you have to understand, the driver is a 'large' fella as well, and they were indeed pulling on me, it just happend to be a car length when we left off but there were infact still creeping away from me.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea but with those mods and being as light as his car is, he should have just torn U a new one His car should be a highway screamer with 394 fwhp vs a MAYBE 3600 lbs 315-330rwhp car
Old 04-06-2005, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Ehh.. those things aren't crazy for being top end monsters actually like say turbo Honda's, but in any event yea I was just as supprised as anybody.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZR2877
You're right about that. My friend has one and he ran a 13.9 with out any performance mods other than a short shifter.
my friend the one that broke 3 trannys went 13.2 with his filter off and no headlight...the car was quick...and it was a 03 b4 they started putting the stage 1 packages in them or the quaife diferential
Old 04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Silly wabbit, skittle is fer kids.....
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by robino
that's the problem with them big turbo neons, they take forever to spool up...
the smaller upgraded turbos spool early and have a broader powerband intead of a rush of power for a couple thousand rpm's
Mmm no, spool was not a factor as indicated by the actual post. The issue here was traction, or the lack thereof, which is what gave me the lead in the first race. Her turbo spools quite nicley actually, makes for a nice daily driver. This is only a T04E, it's not an SC61 or PT67 or something that'll take forever to spool..

...the outcome would have been very different.
Yes, she would've made that much less power. Thankfully she was smart enough to go big.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

What do those stage 3's make? 300whp +/- 10whp? I mean I'm sure the spool is fantastic because it's the size of a quarter, but once you're moving that's not gonna help you against the T04 SRT next to you.

You get a good little jump, ok, what happens when the guy next to you is reeling you in with 30-40-50 more whp? You wanna talk spool, slap a GT28RS on there, otherwise I'd rather spool an extra 5-800rpm later but make 50whp more at the same boost level.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

skittle
Old 04-09-2005, 11:05 PM
TTT
Teching In

http://www.bartleby.com/61/57/S0455700.html

So, a skittle really is an import...
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Coy
skittle
no ****...if i ever lose to a skittle...im gonna be upset. no offense man, but you need to buy some crap for that ta. thats the real problem nowadays, cars keep coming out with more and mroe power, and you can make them faster. well, i for one am gonna keep moddin, no way i let some rice burner have its way with me without a fight...
Old 04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
no ****...if i ever lose to a skittle...im gonna be upset. no offense man, but you need to buy some crap for that ta. thats the real problem nowadays, cars keep coming out with more and mroe power, and you can make them faster. well, i for one am gonna keep moddin, no way i let some rice burner have its way with me without a fight...
You better get some more mods because there are already about a handful of S3 cars in the Warren area. A few others in the 500hp range....and MANY in the 350-400hp range by the end of may...So, good luck on not getting beat by a "rice burner".
Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Talking

Originally Posted by BlackSrt
You better get some more mods because there are already about a handful of S3 cars in the Warren area. A few others in the 500hp range....and MANY in the 350-400hp range by the end of may...So, good luck on not getting beat by a "rice burner".
How much do those skittles weigh?