Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Old Fool, New Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Old Fool, New Tricks

Besides the Olds, up until recently, I owned a 93 ZR1 and I haven't written many racing storys because I didn't race it much. It was pretty plain looking and I took all the badges off. No chevy emblems, no Corvette lettering or any of that kind of thing. I guess it's my personal taste. It looked really clean that way. Besides, a sticker doesn't make your car any faster.

Other than the extra wide rear wheel wells and the different wheels it looked just like any other vette of that era. Without the ZR1 stickers, not so many people rev on ya. A worthwhile relief, believe me.

Also, it's pretty much stock execpt for flowmasters and hi flow cats along with a ported and polished head job. (lost a couple of valves a few years ago so had it done when the heads were off) I also added a ram air kit that has the scoop installed where the front license plate used to go. I'm not so sure it does all that much.

Since I'm an old fart, I don't usually drive fast but one day a few summers ago, I was visiting my brother in Billings Mt. The drive over was great. On the way back, I stopped for lunch and got back on the freeway. As I was coming down the on ramp, this red 00 vette was right on my ***. As I merged, he passed me so fast he was a dozen car lengths ahead before I decided to catch up.

I put my foot into it and started to really move, but, the other vette just sat there maintaining the lead. It was as both of us were kinda suspended in space. Everything else was moving but we weren't.

I looked at the speedo and it's moving up fast, 105, 107, and I start to look around at the traffic. Nothing ahead but the other vette and nothing behind execpt a motor home and an 18 wheeler. 135, 137, 145 we're going damn fast, but the car feels solid and the road is
concrete. Kinda rust colored and streching off to a slight rise in the distance.

I decided to quit and then I thought, just a few more seconds. I should be able to beat this guy. I've distroyed lot's of other vettes before but I'm still not catching him.

155, 158 and then I'm starting to creep up on him. I'd never been this fast in a car before.

A quick glance at my right leg and I found myself pressing the accelerator so hard that my knee was wobbling back and forth.

167, 169 and the other vette is just a few car lengths ahead. As I approach his rear quarter I was sruprised at how much louder his car was. We were both at 173mph. My car felt smooth as silk. The road streched out to the rise about a half a mile ahead. I let it ride.

It topped out at 184mph, indicated. But then I was going up the rise and I started to decelerate a little. The other vette was back about as many lengths as I was when the race began. We both coasted down till we got to 60 or so. The other guy rolls down his window and just yells Woooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mouth was dry and my legs still shaking. I thought to my self, "you dumb old fool" but then again, what a rush. I was a little disappointed at my ride as I had read lots of articles stating they'd driven my model ZR1 up into the mid 180's, stock.

It was as if the mods I'd put in it didn't do jack.

We drove for about another half hour and I just had to get off and take a leak. The guy follows for the inevitable confrontation at the Texaco up ahead.

The guy comes over as I'm fillin up and just states... "I should have been able to beat you". You must have a big block or had it
built. I've beat lot's of Vette's before.

I told him that I was running the same displacement engine as him and that I'd just put some flowmasters on it. Otherwise besides a little head work it was box stock. The guy looks a little perplexed.

I pop the hood to check the oil and the guy looks and then chuckles. AH HA!! WELL,
I did pretty good then, didn't I? Then he says " if I'd had one of the new Z06's it would have been a different story. Perhaps, I thought to myself. I told him I didn't think I'd be up for a run like that again.

He kinda laughs and says "now that's the problem with you old guys". The excitement involved is somthing else. "You just don't understand".
I tell him, "not true" I understand, I just forgot.

We part company and he yells back that when he get's his flowmasters I'd better look out. I nodded and smiled. It's funny the things you think of later.

There were more rabbits running across the road in that area of the State than you can imagine. I even hit one that evening after my race. At 70 it smashed my right driving light and damaged the air conditioning radiator.
At 180+ it might have ended up in the passenger seat.

Would I do it again? I don't know......racing is like a drug. I think I'm hooked all over again.
I've since sold the ZR1 to help with the cost of building the Olds but picked up a used 90 instead. Now I can have both.

Dogtag
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

great story man. Holy shiate 184 I cant even imagine what that's like! Best of luck with the rabbit innards.

Brad
Old 04-13-2005, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Nice story. too bad you sold it though, ZR1s are on my top 10 list of all time favorite cars.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

184 is crazy talk. You've got more ***** than I do. Nice kill.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Holy Crap! 184!?! That's haulin' *****! Crazy Man, great run!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I usually tune out on long stories. Your story was different. I enjoyed reading the whole deal. The description was fluid; I just wanted to to compliment you on that. (Nice run by the way).
Old 04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

in my pants
Old 04-14-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Ever find out what the other vette had done to it? From what I have read, ZR1's have insane top-ends. I remember reading that a ZR1 would edge out a Z06 on the top-end.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

That was a great story to read and I'm glad I took a few minutes to enjoy it. Great car to have, good job.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Awesome story
Old 04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

great story teller. ive actually been searching just for some of his stories. keeping me occupied while i am just sitting here at work doing nothing. ive been up to 158 on a bike and around 140 in my firebird. 184, that is just insane. you may be old, but you definetly have bigger ***** than me