Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Silverado Vs. Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Vs. Camaro

I was on my way to work at about 3:30 am and had just picked up a buddy of mine along the way when I notice a maroon color camaro z28 in front of me at a traffic light. I was like oh damn because a co worker friend of mine that used to have an early 90's Mustang GT that I beat a while back said he was looking at buying a 2001 Camero and would be looking for me out on the street. Well the light turns green and I get up beside the Camero at the next traffic light, which is the same light I ran from last time because its desolate and straight for about a mile and a half. I look over and its him! So I roll down the passenger window and I said nice car..about time, and we had some small talk. I said if were gonna run, winner shut down at 100mph becuase if it were close I didnt want to drag it out at high speeds, but actually I was sure he would destroy me. He says sure so I roll the window back up and waiting for the light to cycle back around, my knee is shaking so bad I cant keep my left foot on the brake. I stall the rpms up as high as I can with out breaking the tires loose and purge the nitrous as the light turns yellow on the other side and catch him looking over at me and back to the front. Light turns green and I get a good launch and I can hear his car roar beside me, almost instantly Im at 3000rpms on the tac as we are side by side and I hit the nitrous and I jump out almost a full car lenth. Truck revs really high into second gear and Im still pulling on him and by 80 I have about 2 cars on him. Just before I hit 100mph I see him drift way back in my rear view like he shut down. Well we get to work and I can tell he aint too happy and Im like what happened, theres no way I should have beat you? He said he missed second gear and he didnt think he was shifting at the right RPM becuase he's not used to the car yet. I know this was driver error and that a half way decent driver should run circles around me in that car becuase most others trucks in this forum that have similar mods are running mid to high 13's and I know that car stock is faster than that. Is there any advise I can give him as far as shifting and launching an almost stock Camero? I told him he should rev it to about 1500 RPMs and let the clutch out just enough to keep traction. I dont know how high he can shift it, but I also told him to go get a tune, get some practice and I would run him again.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool yuor running good.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
I was on my way to work at about 3:30 am and had just picked up a buddy of mine along the way when I notice a maroon color camaro z28 in front of me at a traffic light. I was like oh damn because a co worker friend of mine that used to have an early 90's Mustang GT that I beat a while back said he was looking at buying a 2001 Camero and would be looking for me out on the street. Well the light turns green and I get up beside the Camero at the next traffic light, which is the same light I ran from last time because its desolate and straight for about a mile and a half. I look over and its him! So I roll down the passenger window and I said nice car..about time, and we had some small talk. I said if were gonna run, winner shut down at 100mph becuase if it were close I didnt want to drag it out at high speeds, but actually I was sure he would destroy me. He says sure so I roll the window back up and waiting for the light to cycle back around, my knee is shaking so bad I cant keep my left foot on the brake. I stall the rpms up as high as I can with out breaking the tires loose and purge the nitrous as the light turns yellow on the other side and catch him looking over at me and back to the front. Light turns green and I get a good launch and I can hear his car roar beside me, almost instantly Im at 3000rpms on the tac as we are side by side and I hit the nitrous and I jump out almost a full car lenth. Truck revs really high into second gear and Im still pulling on him and by 80 I have about 2 cars on him. Just before I hit 100mph I see him drift way back in my rear view like he shut down. Well we get to work and I can tell he aint too happy and Im like what happened, theres no way I should have beat you? He said he missed second gear and he didnt think he was shifting at the right RPM becuase he's not used to the car yet. I know this was driver error and that a half way decent driver should run circles around me in that car becuase most others trucks in this forum that have similar mods are running mid to high 13's and I know that car stock is faster than that. Is there any advise I can give him as far as shifting and launching an almost stock Camero? I told him he should rev it to about 1500 RPMs and let the clutch out just enough to keep traction. I dont know how high he can shift it, but I also told him to go get a tune, get some practice and I would run him again.
For the love of god...

If hes stock he should probably shift at around 6000 or thereabouts. I don't know if your friend ever learned how to shift fast so here goes (I apologize if I'm being redundant): the stock clutch disengages enough to shift gears at about 1/3 of the way in so tell him to push it in about that much and reach for the stick and start shifting at the same time as he pushes the pedal in; then as he pulls the stick into the next gear tell him to start letting the clutch out so that as soon as the shifter is into the right position the pedal is let out, and to do this is quickly as possible.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Shift about 6 grand.

And not to be an ***, but for future reference chevy spelled it CAMARO, no "e" needed.

Nate
Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taufern
Shift about 6 grand.

And not to be an ***, but for future reference chevy spelled it CAMARO, no "e" needed.

Nate
Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't find it hard to believe that a truck hung with a camaro. My truck isn't modded much but i still hang with them, and they get to play catch up from a dig.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
I don't find it hard to believe that a truck hung with a camaro. My truck isn't modded much but i still hang with them, and they get to play catch up from a dig.
A 91 Syclone is a little different than a 4.8L Silverado. A very clean looking (judging by the sig) and sprayed Silverado but a 4.8L none the less. Either way his driving is his loss and your gain congrats on the win.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good job. My 02 only ran 13.80 @104 the first time at the trac. This was on 245's (got a 2.1 60 ft.) and a driver who couldn't drive. I need to get my *** back to the track, I can drive a little better now.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taufern
Shift about 6 grand.

Nate
Realized the spelling error after I submitted the post, but it was too late I guess from what I am hearing we should be running pretty close, and that the car should be running mid 13's? I hang around too much in the truck forums and didnt really know what a stock 2001 Camaro Z28 would run? I had assumed I would see tail lights walking away, even with me on the spray and really wasnt looking forward to seeing him on the road. I didnt see him at work today, he also told me he is afraid he might break the rear end if he rips out the hole too fast, but I told him no worries, I beat the hell out my truck all the time and im waiting for the 4l60 to go out after 20 plus bottles and 60,000 miles and it hasnt hickuped yet. I love my Chevy Truck.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice!!! Way better than my old 4.8L could ever do. Now get the future mods into action and see how the 6.0L likes nitrous. My buddies z28 used to eat my 4.8L for lunch, but he has more than he can chew with the "other motor". I'm determined to get my nx kit on one of these days, because it's starting to collect dust. If I could just get some runs logged....
Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slowprocess
Nice!!! Way better than my old 4.8L could ever do. Now get the future mods into action and see how the 6.0L likes nitrous. My buddies z28 used to eat my 4.8L for lunch, but he has more than he can chew with the "other motor". I'm determined to get my nx kit on one of these days, because it's starting to collect dust. If I could just get some runs logged....
You must have a lot of fun with your truck, from what I can see on your avatar your running 12's NA, that is where I hope to be one day, it must be a great feeling not beeing stuck on the bottle when you think your gonna run. I get tired of flippin the switch and turning the bottle off and on evertime I get in, much less worrying about something going wrong. I dont see my future mods happening for a while because I started back to school, but Ill be selling my house soon for a new job so hopefully then Ill have the funds. Nice truck BTW
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
You must have a lot of fun with your truck, from what I can see on your avatar your running 12's NA, that is where I hope to be one day, it must be a great feeling not beeing stuck on the bottle when you think your gonna run. I get tired of flippin the switch and turning the bottle off and on evertime I get in, much less worrying about something going wrong. I dont see my future mods happening for a while because I started back to school, but Ill be selling my house soon for a new job so hopefully then Ill have the funds. Nice truck BTW
Man, I've having a ball with it!!! On my stock injectors and old tune, my best was a 12.50, but now I'm anxious to see how the higher rpm shifts and warmer tune does for me. I'm hoping to get on down in the low 12s before I get my kit put on. Man, I wish I could go back to school for a few more years. Good luck with it.