Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

question about wheel spin through the gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default question about wheel spin through the gears

might not be the right place but it was the best i could tell. on the street, what kind of wheel spin are you guys seeing with stock 3.42 gears? i have nittos and stock gearing and im just wondering before i get out there and romp on it how somethign around 440rwhp would hold up through 2nd and 3rd on hard accel?

also want to know so i can choose a gear to go with. just let me know what you guys see, i would imagine first wouldnt hold up but i dont know if it would spin them in 2nd or at all in 3rd, im doubting 3rd (except for when you first hit it) but i figured i would ask. thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm.. if u romp on it.. yeah i'd say it's going to spin lol. Be gentle with it? Get better suspension? If you have to ask, why are you driving a 440RWHP car?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I use to run N2O at 471 HP through the stock gears and nittos. So pretty close HP.

1st gear the tires would light up if I went WOT. I had to feather a bit, but could stay in it for the most part.
2nd. If I power shifted they would light up good. But after babying the shift I could mat it through the entire gear.
3rd. Shift the crap out of it and the tires chirpped a bit but would stick. Matted it through the entire gear.

Now its a little different
Old 06-12-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 25thAnnivTransAm
umm.. if u romp on it.. yeah i'd say it's going to spin lol. Be gentle with it? Get better suspension? If you have to ask, why are you driving a 440RWHP car?
im just asking cause i want to know how its gonna react, susp has been alllllllll upgraded. if they are gonna spin so bad i dont really wanna go to the track. my dad drives the car, i lost my license so i dont know how it really feels and he can never give me a good answer. id hate to go out there to the track and waste my time out there if it wont hook up, but if itll hook in 2nd i could deal with it in 1st
Old 06-12-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

plus it will help me determine which gear set up to go with. i want them to spin but i want to beable to take off sometimes lol
Old 06-13-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

I'm curious as to how you lost your license man. And when do you get em back?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Originally Posted by 25thAnnivTransAm
a. apparently you've never driven a car with a decent amount of power. I have accidentally broke my tires loose in almost every gear and situation .... you're rule of "romp and spin - gentle = no spin" might work if you're driving a mini-van, but not when you're in a 400 -500 something rwhp car.

b. modding a car does not come with instructions on how to drive it with the new power. you have to relearn how to drive the car each time it becomes more powerful .... and what better place to ask for strategies on driving it, than on a forum where 10,000 other people have the same problem?

Old 06-13-2005, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

long story, but hopefully i get it back soon, thanks for the replies that have been helpful lol, ive just been wondering how much more fun that hp woudl be