Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

late model TA ram air stunned/ camaro ss gets smoked!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default late model TA ram air stunned/ camaro ss gets smoked!

Well i dont own a gm let alone a gas vehicle, but i stumbled across this site and often read and enjoy the kill stories! I have a couple stories and questions for you guys, here goes!

First Semi- kill

I was crusin in ok city on either 11th or 13th st (cant remember which, it was a long main drag though) looking for a race or three with no luck. Finally i see some lights low to the ground weaving in and out of traffic. Dang, im gonna get a race i thought! Well a couple lights later this guy is next to me. I check out the competition and its a late model Trans Am ram air 6 spd with at least an aftermarket exhaust, unsure of any other mods. Well i decide to give him a rev and he bites (30 mph or so), the ta started out about 1/2 carlength ahead of me and easily jumped out to 1 1/2-2 lengths until turbo lit and we were off. When i hit 3rd gear on my auto tranny i started reeling him in quickly. He realized at ~ 75 mph that it wasnt going to be an easy kill, he let off, at that pt i was back upto 1/2 length down and closing the gap fast! I hang my hand out the window and give the 'ol thumbs up and the clowns wouldnt even look at me. We were next to each other a couple more lights and the two preppy frat boys wouldnt look over, they were frickin pissed!

What do these cars run stock in the 1/4? Shouldnt he have pulled me or what?

Kill #2

I was in attendance at the Midnight Drags in Tulsa Oklahoma on this past sat night. On my last run of the evening i couldnt get anymore of the diesels to run me so i just get inline and next to me is a mid 90s camaro ss. My buddy goes over to him and gets him talked into racing me and the driver starts to talk smack. He continues to tell my buddy how bad his car is and that he's gonna walk all over me! Well apparently he hasnt payed attention to the "big slow diesels" previous passes. I only ran a 14.3 that run (previous had been 14.1's @95), but i still managed to pull off a big W against this guy.

Anyone on the forums that saw two diesels smoking and playing around on Memorial st in tulsa around 9-10 pm sat? If so the white one was me.

later
Old 06-20-2005, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

what year is you truck and what are your mods. The cars u raced must have been LT1's with shitty drivers for you to even have a chance. Those cars run low 14's to high 13's stock. Unless you are at a really high Elevation. You wouldnt have a chance from a roll with only 95mph traps in the 1/4. Not trying to talk crap or down talk your truck, i think diesels are badass and happen to have a 00' ford powerstroke work truck with a chip and exhaust. and i know it would talk a whole hell of alot more to even begin to compare with an LS1 or LT1 car. And if either of the cars you raced was a 98' or newer then it was an LS1 and those run mid 13's stock on average. Unless you raced a V6 car i dont see you beating those cars.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Teching In

96 with custom injectors, custom programming, custom tranny, fuel system, big intercooler, intake, exhaust, 435 rwhp and 840 rwtq.

My 1/4 time is running in 4x4 for the entire pass, otherwise i would lite the back tires down half the 1/4.. On the street i was running in 2wd and it is much quicker from a roll, due to not losing nearly as much hp through the 4wd. Also was quite obvioius both cars were v8's. TA (looked new) was driven by a clown that most likely doesnt no how to run his car to the max, i am very aware that it is supposed to be faster than me. The camaro (again mid 90's body style) was beat at the strip, so do doubt about it im faster than him. Im not trying to start a diesel/gas war, just thought id share some stories. Im all about having fun and going fast, only difference is my vehicle of choice is a 7500 lb diesel.

later
Old 06-20-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

nice diesel.... those TA runs high 12s to low 13s. and that SS must be lt1 running high 13 to low 14.... some do run low 13 with lil mods.. nice kill
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well speaking from personal experience (buddy @ work has a PS Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab '04 IIRC) and he can't come close to hanging with my T/A (which is relatively stock) we've raced going to and from work several times (both from a stop, and a roll). So I suspect you either got an LT1 T/A, or a really badly driven LS1 (maybe a missed shift)
Sounds like you have a nice truck there, so what do you have done to it ?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

If you went from a roll he probably didn't downshift. He could have just thought it was your average truck, lol
Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Powerstroked
Well i dont own a gm let alone a gas vehicle, but i stumbled across this site and often read and enjoy the kill stories! I have a couple stories and questions for you guys, here goes!

First Semi- kill

I was crusin in ok city on either 11th or 13th st (cant remember which, it was a long main drag though) looking for a race or three with no luck. Finally i see some lights low to the ground weaving in and out of traffic. Dang, im gonna get a race i thought! Well a couple lights later this guy is next to me. I check out the competition and its a late model Trans Am ram air 6 spd with at least an aftermarket exhaust, unsure of any other mods. Well i decide to give him a rev and he bites (30 mph or so), the ta started out about 1/2 carlength ahead of me and easily jumped out to 1 1/2-2 lengths until turbo lit and we were off. When i hit 3rd gear on my auto tranny i started reeling him in quickly. He realized at ~ 75 mph that it wasnt going to be an easy kill, he let off, at that pt i was back upto 1/2 length down and closing the gap fast! I hang my hand out the window and give the 'ol thumbs up and the clowns wouldnt even look at me. We were next to each other a couple more lights and the two preppy frat boys wouldnt look over, they were frickin pissed!

What do these cars run stock in the 1/4? Shouldnt he have pulled me or what?

Kill #2

I was in attendance at the Midnight Drags in Tulsa Oklahoma on this past sat night. On my last run of the evening i couldnt get anymore of the diesels to run me so i just get inline and next to me is a mid 90s camaro ss. My buddy goes over to him and gets him talked into racing me and the driver starts to talk smack. He continues to tell my buddy how bad his car is and that he's gonna walk all over me! Well apparently he hasnt payed attention to the "big slow diesels" previous passes. I only ran a 14.3 that run (previous had been 14.1's @95), but i still managed to pull off a big W against this guy.

Anyone on the forums that saw two diesels smoking and playing around on Memorial st in tulsa around 9-10 pm sat? If so the white one was me.

later
Haven't got a chance to take my car to the track yet but when I get back in Tulsa for school I'll race you, I'm a stock WS6. One of my friends was talking about how fast the turbo diesels are and said that one would run with me if not smoke me so I'd like a go at it.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Sure i'll take ya up on a race next time im in tulsa (live 4+ hrs away in ks).

Bandit- your probably right, i would bet he got caulky, didnt downshift then he got really suprised when he was about to get beat.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

14.1@95 and pulling on an LS1 WS6?? Not gonna happen unless the guy missed a shift or was in 5th gear the whole time. Bad *** truck though.

PS-Both LT1's and LS1's are V8's...your one comment led me to believe that you thought LT1 means V6. LS1's are 98+ and generally quite a bit faster than the 93-97 LT1's.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

You guys remember my post about getting spanked by a 10 second Cummins truck? I haven't seen the truck since but knew I was in trouble when this RAM 1500 with paste on headlights, ground effects, full cage and 18" (wide) tires came running up on me on the freeway. It was fun watching that black **** spew forty feet in the air outta the single 8" exhaust stack in the back as he ran off and hid. This was when I was just CAI and catback. ****, 420 RWHP wasn't near enough to make it sporting for this thing.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe he didn't race em to a very high speed. My truck runs a 14.0 at 98.8mph, but I will beat an LS1 to 80mph by ~ a car.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Teching In

we only ran upto 70-75 mph, if we would have raced much faster than that he would have smoked me. My truck accelerates very fast to about 80-85 and then drops off quite a bit, ahhh how nice it is to drive a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick wall. I love it though, no one ever expects a diesel to be fast its the ultimate sleeper!

later

ps why is my post count still at 0?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
So I suspect you either got an LT1 T/A, or a really badly driven LS1
more likely a badly driven lt1...not to say the truck isnt fast 800+ rwtq is badass
Old 06-22-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to post in a tech forum to get your count up
Old 06-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Old Drag Racer

Diesel performance is alive and well in Eastern NC also. Good runs with your truck. There's a Chevy diesel truck around here running 7.20's in the 1/8th. I'm not sure what he can run in the 1/4 as I'm sure he falls off somewhat that last 1/8th but he's just about the quickest thing driving around on the street. Having owned a diesel powered Suburban 10 years ago I never thought I'd associate performance with a diesel. Man, have things changed. I know better than to mess with this truck with any of my cars.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

www.pacificp.com has a 04' duramax running in the 11's without changing the turbo or injectors. but it does have a chip, programmer and nitrous and then the usual upgrades like exhaust and stuff.