Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Absolutely killed 03 Cobra!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely killed 03 Cobra!!!!

This is a pretty good one. Traveling down M59 this past weekend, some guy in a yellow Cobra pulls up to me, and his girl looked at my car and grinned, the kind of grin where she figured her boyfriends car was gonna school mine because mine looks relatively stock. He revved it to me, and I answered back with an ear piercing rev out the cutout. You could see his expression go from confident, almost cocky, to pretty much, ohhh sh**. First time we ran, he was to the left and about 4 cars back, and he hammered down, and just as he was getting to the back of my car, I stabbed it, he got to the front of my doors, then I started pullin him. We both had to let off as we were coming up on traffic. Our next run was about a mile ahead as we were heading west under mound road. He hit it just a hair before me, pulled a half a car, after about 5 seconds we were nose to nose, and then I started RUNNING away. We hit it at about 60, by the time I hit a hundred, he was probably 7 or 8 cars back, not even close. I shut it down as soon as I knew it was over, he kept on it, caught back up, passed me and darted off at the nearest exit. Pretty good for just another LT1..... Whos grinning now???
Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Snake taste soooo Good!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
SSU, come over and relax

nice kill

he probably told his girl he won when he did the flyby though
Old 07-19-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Yahh, wouldn't surprise me. My buddy waved to him as we were passing him, it was a whole lotta fun!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live and work right around that area in Shelby Twp what color is your car. I have probably seen it around before it sounds like a whole lotta fun. Sweet kill by the way I'm waiting for my car to be fast enough to take down a cobra.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Its a black 94 z28, blacked out windows, 5 spoke 18s on rear, 17s on front, yellow tags and calipers. Im down there pretty often, but I actually live up in almont, roughly 40 mile and van dyke.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Actually, I used to have an apartment in shelby, west utica between mound and dequindre, bout 2 years ago...
Old 07-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94strokedz
This is a pretty good one. Traveling down M59 this past weekend, some guy in a yellow Cobra pulls up to me, and his girl looked at my car and grinned, the kind of grin where she figured her boyfriends car was gonna school mine because mine looks relatively stock. He revved it to me, and I answered back with an ear piercing rev out the cutout. You could see his expression go from confident, almost cocky, to pretty much, ohhh sh**. First time we ran, he was to the left and about 4 cars back, and he hammered down, and just as he was getting to the back of my car, I stabbed it, he got to the front of my doors, then I started pullin him. We both had to let off as we were coming up on traffic. Our next run was about a mile ahead as we were heading west under mound road. He hit it just a hair before me, pulled a half a car, after about 5 seconds we were nose to nose, and then I started RUNNING away. We hit it at about 60, by the time I hit a hundred, he was probably 7 or 8 cars back, not even close. I shut it down as soon as I knew it was over, he kept on it, caught back up, passed me and darted off at the nearest exit. Pretty good for just another LT1..... Whos grinning now???
No doubt you could beat a stock/mild cobra with your mods (and times), but these stories just don't add up to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill. What kind of times are you running with that killer?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

What do you mean?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

My official best is an 11.76 at 115 or 116, but since then I put on a new opti, wires, plugs, coil, ported the MAF, new air temp sensor, cleaned my black K+N, TB bypass, removed the swaybar, and replaced a flaky O2. I'm guessing it should run maybe 11.3 to 11.4 on stickys.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you mean?
You realized what I meant . Good times, definately enough to walk a stock cobra with a bad driver (7-8 lengths).
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

What do you mean?
First off, good kill! I'm sure your stocking looking LT1 really surprised him.

It's the exaggerated details that initially had me baffled.

"He hit it just a hair before me, pulled a half a car, after about 5 seconds we were nose to nose, and then I started RUNNING away. We hit it at about 60, by the time I hit a hundred, he was probably 7 or 8 cars back, not even close."

He hit it 1st, pulled 1/2 car and it took you 5 seconds to get back even with him.........then you wound up pulling 7-8 cars????????..........oh yea, and the race was from 60-100????????

After I posted I regretted it because I know it's hard to remember specifics when you're in the middle of a race but a car that traps 113.6 (per an earlier post of yours) wouldn't have those results, even against a stock Cobra. Maybe he missed a gear?

I shouldn't have posted, but since every other kill lately has been on a Cobra I thought I'd chime in on one of them.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

No problem, the missing a gear scenario is definitely a possibility. But if you think about it, a half a car in 5 seconds isn't very hard, count it off in your head, its a long time, most sports cars thats roughly 60 mph from 0 mph. Also, if you look up a few lines, there is a very substantial list of stuff that I have done since running the 11.76 at 113.6, sorry bout the 115 or 116, that was a mistake on my part as the time slip isn't in front of me and I didn't look it up in the history. When I ran the 11.76, the car had a slight miss above 5 grand, stopped pulling around 6200, now, it just starts running at 5 grand and pulls hard until just before the tach hits the pin at about 7200. My best guess on my mph now in the quarter is roughly 120. The 7 or 8 cars is an estimate based on me being able to see the car still pulling hard in passenger rear view mirror, which could mean my estimate is incorrect as "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". But anyways, I was just proud that I beat the Cobra, as the last time I ran one was last year when my buddy with his stock other than a pully Cobra kicked my a** at the strip, according to the time slip that he showed me, because we never ran em side to side, just went to the strip on different weekends. As a driver of an LT1, I am very proud that I took the Cobra because every body knows how mean those cars are right out of the box. So I'm sorry if the details seemed doctored, but everything was accurate except MAYBE the estimated 7 or 8 cars per my explanation above. And yes, he could have missed a gear, but he was still way back there, human error or not...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

No problem, the missing a gear scenario is definitely a possibility. But if you think about it, a half a car in 5 seconds isn't very hard, count it off in your head, its a long time, most sports cars thats roughly 60 mph from 0 mph. Also, if you look up a few lines, there is a very substantial list of stuff that I have done since running the 11.76 at 113.6, sorry bout the 115 or 116, that was a mistake on my part as the time slip isn't in front of me and I didn't look it up in the history. When I ran the 11.76, the car had a slight miss above 5 grand, stopped pulling around 6200, now, it just starts running at 5 grand and pulls hard until just before the tach hits the pin at about 7200. My best guess on my mph now in the quarter is roughly 120. The 7 or 8 cars is an estimate based on me being able to see the car still pulling hard in passenger rear view mirror, which could mean my estimate is incorrect as "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". But anyways, I was just proud that I beat the Cobra, as the last time I ran one was last year when my buddy with his stock other than a pully Cobra kicked my a** at the strip, according to the time slip that he showed me, because we never ran em side to side, just went to the strip on different weekends. As a driver of an LT1, I am very proud that I took the Cobra because every body knows how mean those cars are right out of the box. So I'm sorry if the details seemed doctored, but everything was accurate except MAYBE the estimated 7 or 8 cars per my explanation above. And yes, he could have missed a gear, but he was still way back there, human error or not...
Thanks for the civil reply and I apologize for the nitpicky response earlier.

It's always hard to judge accurately when your doing it through your mirror instead of your windshield.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

This is bothering me, we had to have hit more than 100, 7 or 8 cars in 40 mph is huge, last I saw it was 100, more likely much more
Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

No problem, sorry for the boggled info, now that I am analyzing what you said, that makes sense, anyways, I wasn't ******* on Cobras, was just very excited to post my unexpected kill!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Nice kill on the Snake and you were probably well above 100 'cause mine would go from 60-80 in less than 2 seconds BEFORE I pullied up. Five seconds would put ya at around 115 or so. I could see a missed gear, these things are a CAST IRON BITCH to shift with a stock setup. Regardless, nice kill.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice kill. Must be that well built motor.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Do we have a Livernois Motorsports employee on here?? If so, the motor is awesome!!!!