Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 98 WS6 vs Super modded 95 LT1, sound right??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on 98 WS6 vs Super modded 95 LT1, sound right??

OK this guy wanted to race me for fun to see how his car will do:

MINE: 98 Trans AM WS6 w/115,000miles stock plugs.. stock most stuff.
MODS:Nitto 555R,Pacesetter Longtube LTs,ORY,Hookercatback,SLP Lid, no EGR/AIR and K&N filter.

VS

95 LT-1 Camaro
MODS:355 forged rebuilt motor,different rearend with 3.73 gears and suspension, Cam..unknown size but 112LSA, Longtubes,ORY,Catback,SLP intake, 3500 stall, rebuilt tranny.

Alright, We do our burn outs and get ready, I rev mine up to 1000 or so RPM and hands go down and we are off, I pull a car and stay that way all the way down the 1320. He said he spun off the line, which he could have, but my friend was like If his cars that fast then it should have pulled up top.
I know the stuff he has done to the car is real and hes not bullshitting. It ran a 12.5 untuned and I think it still might be untuned.
But does this sound right?? I ran my car at the track and ran a 14.3 which I found out was from a unplugged spark plug and something to do with the fuel system was left unplugged, so I have no idea what my car runs. But what do u guys think my car runs with those mods?? Im just trying to find out how a bolt on LS1 beat a pretty modded LT-1.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) He didn't know how to drive
2.) There's a problem with his car

He should have smoked you. Guy needs to get his **** together. Nice kill
Old 07-30-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

??You are probably putting down at least as much power as him.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
??You are probably putting down at least as much power as him.
Cammed LT1s with a stock motor can do 360-380 rwhp. A 355 can rev higher than a stock bottomend LT1. Are you kidding or really that clueless?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

CAN, but usually don't. He's got STOCK heads and an auto.

ps. No need to take it so personal, no one was insulting your LT1.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Teching In

may be considerd off-topic, but...just wondering,why does it seem that so many people on here think that M6 is faster thean A4??? even when the A4 has a stall,gears? i don't get it...no human can shift a t-56 as fast as the computer can shift a 4L60E...
Old 07-30-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

An automatic has more rotating parts and thus saps more power than a manual.

Redneck Z is a bit ignorant to the potential of LT1-powered f-cars.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Well I'm not ignorant to LT1 cars as I owned one for several years, and I still think that the race is entirely possible. Vendetta you do understand that when rebuilding a 350sbc going .40 over is pretty common in order to freshen up the motor. Yes it adds c.i., but we're talking less than 5, lol. 355's are nothing more than rebuilt 350's. There's no special HP increase by going +.40.

The original poster did NOT give all of the specifics, just- "forged motor w/ unknown cam". To me it sounds like the guy probably did a standard rebuild, maybe added some forged pistons/possibly rods, and a camshaft. I'm going to assume the heads are stock, etc. In short, it sounds like we're talking about a 350ish wrhp motor, give or take. And if the thing wasn't tuned, probably less.

I'm not a doubter of the LT1, I actually preffer them to LS1's for several reasons. I mean look at my sig, I went solid 12's with LT's, a gear, and a tranny swap with my LT1. Now, it could be that there's more the car than the guy mentioned and he just had a bad run. OR, it could be just a standard LT1 rebuild with a hot cam or something...

If I had to guess, I'd pick the latter of the two......

Jon
Old 07-30-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: Redneck Z is a bit ignorant to the potential of LT1-powered f-cars.

Once again, quit taking my posts so personally, sounds like you have a short man's complex lol. I know the LT1's have potential and I'm not knocking them so get over yourself. It just sounds like the guy has a rebuilt motor with who knows a hotcam or something. Not exactly a powerful combination. I've seen LT1 cars with this sort of build not even putting down what a full bolt on LS1 does, longtubes etc. Also formulav8a4, the comment I made about automatics had nothing to do with M6's being faster. Usually the auto's are better drag cars. My point was about rwhp and auto's put less down because of more parasitic loss. I'm not trying to turn this thread into ANOTHER LS1/LT1 debate. I was just comparing two cars period.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm... I would think that the LT1 would win, though I wouldn't clall it "super modded." This is the street, so anything can happen, and my guess would be that, given the cam in the LT1, he would have a few more ponies than you, but maybe not to account for a crappy launch. Does he have drag radials? I can see you running mid-high 12's with what you have, with a good launch at the track. So this is a possible outcome, though as I said, I would give the nod to the LT1 for winning the majority of the races between you too. The faster car doesn't always win. Nice kill
Old 07-30-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
Well I'm not ignorant to LT1 cars as I owned one for several years, and I still think that the race is entirely possible. Vendetta you do understand that when rebuilding a 350sbc going .40 over is pretty common in order to freshen up the motor. Yes it adds c.i., but we're talking less than 5, lol. 355's are nothing more than rebuilt 350's. There's no special HP increase by going +.40.
I wasn't talking about the addition of cubic inches, rather the ability to rev the motor higher due to the stronger and better quality parts.

Once again, quit taking my posts so personally, sounds like you have a short man's complex lol. I know the LT1's have potential and I'm not knocking them so get over yourself. It just sounds like the guy has a rebuilt motor with who knows a hotcam or something. Not exactly a powerful combination. I've seen LT1 cars with this sort of build not even putting down what a full bolt on LS1 does, longtubes etc. Also formulav8a4, the comment I made about automatics had nothing to do with M6's being faster. Usually the auto's are better drag cars. My point was about rwhp and auto's put less down because of more parasitic loss. I'm not trying to turn this thread into ANOTHER LS1/LT1 debate. I was just comparing two cars period.
Trust me, if I take personal offense to something, you'll know. Cammed LT1s are no bitch, the guy's car is probably not running right, and/or the car is set up like **** with mismatching parts. Pigeon holing a cammed LT1 as to making around 310-320 rwhp just because it's an LT1 is pretty retarded.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I wasn't talking about the addition of cubic inches, rather the ability to rev the motor higher due to the stronger and better quality parts.

Trust me, if I take personal offense to something, you'll know. Cammed LT1s are no bitch, the guy's car is probably not running right, and/or the car is set up like **** with mismatching parts. Pigeon holing a cammed LT1 as to making around 310-320 rwhp just because it's an LT1 is pretty retarded.

Well said Jon
Old 08-01-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Old 08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing like a redneck that lives in California.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, here come the personal attacks. You're the one acting like a redneck. Ok, before you carry out your personal vendetta, LT1's rule, are faster than LS1's and are the superior car. Does that make you feel better? Maybe you'll sleep better tonight now. It's funny how you automatically go into defense mode when someone thinks an LS1 could beat an LT1 in a given situation. No need for personal attacks, grow up, move on.