Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

(Long) Killed an RX-8, then got him at his own game..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Long) Killed an RX-8, then got him at his own game..

in the twisties. Pulling out of the driveway this morning I see this black RX-8 go by at around 70 in a 50. I've seen this cat hotrodding around before but never was able to play with him. Anyway, I catch him as we come up on slower traffic just before the last straightaway and slide out to pass slowly. Of course he jumps right on my *** and I mash the gas. Aircraft carriers man, at least 5 Enterprizes later I lift. Now comes the fun part of the road as I drop her down to 70 for the first hard left (marked 30 MPH) with guardrails and absolutely no shoulders. He comes flying up braking hard for the corner as I enter, maintaining my lane and speed. She twitches a bit as I roll into the gas at the apex in time for a sweeping right and an opening left. I finish the set and check six to see him 2 carriers back and fading fast. I hit 90 (no cross streets or driveways along this stretch) and hold it through the mild curves cause I just don't care to go any faster. Here he comes again, hard on it trying to catch me as the next set of 35 MPH curves come. Again I drop her to 70 or so and dive into the decreasing radius corner, hit it a little harder at the top to get some weight tranfer for the curve the other way and walk him like a dog. I enjoy the little sprint and then back it down to 50 for an area with some gravel driveways. He comes flying back on my butt as we go through this area to the most challenging part of this road. As I enter the first curve he's hanging tight. I roll hard into the gas at the top and keep it @ 4K in 3rd for the little S that's coming, staying in my lane as I rip through it and trail brake for the blind, hard right hander. She twitches on the edge and jumps out a touch when I jam it down for the little 600' stretch before the 15 MPH left hairpin at the end. Bouncing the tach as I drop down to 2nd and almost powerslide through the turn, blip it to 3rd for the blind right hander, drift a touch with a wiggle for the little 200' straight, brake hard for the little chicane and dive into the turn off. Well, I'm glancing in the mirror between corners and NOT seeing the RX at all. I never did see him again after that one, not once. I think he needs more seat time or a driver mod before he tries to play with Snakes. I know this was long but it sure was fun!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mom has a RX-8 and there deff. over rated its not what i thought it would be when i first drove it but it does handle well the guy prolly just had a hard time keeping up because it only makes 240hp..but it is a fun little car(for a mom anyways)but i think the lease is almost up so now she wants a 05 mustang gt
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

I almost drove one once. Couldn't even fit in the car.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, it was mucho fun and really hard to put the rush or the g-forces into a post. It's hard to describe the bellowing exhaust, screaming blower, chirping tires ( that little eek, eek, eek all the way through the gear) as you come out of a corner on a hilly crooked country road on a bright, crisp morning.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I only wish I had roads like the one you described at my disposal.

The screaming engine (raaaanga!) blip of double clutch downshifting while braking would be icing on the cake.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
^ In only wish I had roads like the one you described at my disposal.
Yeah, tough to find in Florida. You can find some off the Gator parkway (27) up towards the panhandle. I seem to recall a hilly, crooked area up that way but it'd call for a long road trip. I live in a little valley by a lake between the Cascades and some smaller mountains so there's no shortage of roads like this one. No room for error though as most have no shoulders and either cliffs, rock wall or trees to hit if ya blow it. These roads up here will KILL you if you aren't on your game when ya play.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Teching In

good story and good kill.
i don't know about you guys but my butt was clenching just reading the story, taking her to 90 for 200-300 ft then braking just in time for the turns, sounds like fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

great story, its always good to hear about those races down the winding roads, that had to be the most exhilirating drive!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ThePOWERofaLS1
great story, its always good to hear about those races down the winding roads, that had to be the most exhilirating drive!
The best attitude adjuster before work that I know of. It's also a great decompression after. That's why I enjoy this road twice a day.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Banned

Good kill. Hey Charlie are you guys still meeting up in town? Are there any fast cars around since i have been away? I will hit you up when i get back.
talk to you later man
Old 08-04-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah Mike, there's a few and we got a new place to meet that's sanctioned (actually suggested) by the Polizie so they don't bug us anymore.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

good story man i always enjoy pushing my car through the twisties
Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 PM
STF Veteran

scratch another for the snakes