Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

`01 Camaro SS vs `04 Mustang Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default `01 Camaro SS vs `04 Mustang Cobra

Its funny how life is. I always wanted an 03-04 cobra. It was my first choice of car. But somehow... after everything... i ended up with a 2001 Camaro SS. PIC Here Its been interisting (to say the least) to get use to a RWD with a lot of low end torque from what im use to.. the old Probo.

I've ironically been hanging out with a bunch of people who all own 03-04 Mustang Cobras for the past 2 weeks. Today was a meet with some other friends and eventually i went out to meet with this Cobra group. Soon as i pull into the parking lot and get off... a cop rolls in and tells everyone. "You have 2 minutes to leave." "HEY turn on your lights bitch" "Dont make me get off this car". So...natrually we all leave...

As we're cruising to another spot... The mystique Cobra and me get a red light.

So I yell.... "HEY... What's the retail on one of those??!"
to which he responds "Smokeeem"

Light turns green.... we take off slowly untill about 10mph where he and i pretty much floor it at the same time... he was about half a car ahead at the time.... As i floor it over a little bump i lose some traction... but still close the gap to dead even with him.... we're both WOT and we do the 1-2 shift... WAM... my tires chirp nasty... and we are both pulling hard. 2-3 Shift.... STILL EVEN..... At this point im just thinking... Holy ****.... as i shift into 4th i pull about half a car on him and then shut it down....

Later on he told me he had his a/c on... and he missed 4th...

But hey... a kill is a kill.. my car made me so damn happy tonight.
Not a bad 1st kill

For the record, we're both stock.... except that i have no cats and i have a LID with a K&N.

It was a sweet race...

Last edited by exit; 08-19-2005 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

u wanna sell ur car for a cobra
Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by exit
Later on he told me he had his a/c on...
Might affect him for a short amount of time, but alot of cars AC systems are configured so that when you go WOT, or once you hit a certain RPM, the Compressor clutch lets go, AC systems arent supposed to spin very fast.

My AC never goes off, If I race it'll cut off on its own.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Might affect him for a short amount of time, but alot of cars AC systems are configured so that when you go WOT, or once you hit a certain RPM, the Compressor clutch lets go, AC systems arent supposed to spin very fast.

My AC never goes off, If I race it'll cut off on its own.
This is true.

My car bogs off the line like a SOB with the A/C on though.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Nice run!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
This is true.

My car bogs off the line like a SOB with the A/C on though.
With all of the low end power you Cobra guys make... a bogging wont hurt... just means you'll have to run 'em down..... that MP112 affords you a lot of luxuries

I managed to stall a Cobra yesterday.... stupid cable clutch... I am not used to it... and my leg gave out after having to practically stand on the pedal.... I thought my foot was going to go through the floor!!!!! Nice cars... I'd buy one..... in a few years.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"...stock.... except that i have no cats and i have a LID with a K&N."

Which means you aren't stock.

Anyhoo, nice run.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SporkLover
With all of the low end power you Cobra guys make... a bogging wont hurt... just means you'll have to run 'em down..... that MP112 affords you a lot of luxuries
No Eaton here sir. I have the black blower variety. However, I do have two ported Eatons at home.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by exit
Its funny how life is. I always wanted an 03-04 cobra. It was my first choice of car. But somehow... after everything... i ended up with a 2001 Camaro SS. PIC Here Its been interisting (to say the least) to get use to a RWD with a lot of low end torque from what im use to.. the old Probo.

I've ironically been hanging out with a bunch of people who all own 03-04 Mustang Cobras for the past 2 weeks. Today was a meet with some other friends and eventually i went out to meet with this Cobra group. Soon as i pull into the parking lot and get off... a cop rolls in and tells everyone. "You have 2 minutes to leave." "HEY turn on your lights bitch" "Dont make me get off this car". So...natrually we all leave...

As we're cruising to another spot... The mystique Cobra and me get a red light.

So I yell.... "HEY... What's the retail on one of those??!"
to which he responds "Smokeeem"

Light turns green.... we take off slowly untill about 10mph where he and i pretty much floor it at the same time... he was about half a car ahead at the time.... As i floor it over a little bump i lose some traction... but still close the gap to dead even with him.... we're both WOT and we do the 1-2 shift... WAM... my tires chirp nasty... and we are both pulling hard. 2-3 Shift.... STILL EVEN..... At this point im just thinking... Holy ****.... as i shift into 4th i pull about half a car on him and then shut it down....

Later on he told me he had his a/c on... and he missed 4th...

But hey... a kill is a kill.. my car made me so damn happy tonight.
Not a bad 1st kill

For the record, we're both stock.... except that i have no cats and i have a LID with a K&N.

It was a sweet race...
good kill, just remember if it was a bolt-on cobra, it would of passed u like u were standing still once he went into sec or third gear. btw have u taken the camaro to the track yet?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

**** Unit, you told me the ac has no affect on racing! Hmmmmm....remember my kill of the 911 TT? I beat his *** running from the light with the ac on and you made an *** out of yourself saying it had no affect on my lauunch or race. Wow, you are such a wealth of info.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
good kill, just remember if it was a bolt-on cobra, it would of passed u like u were standing still once he went into sec or third gear. btw have u taken the camaro to the track yet?
No ****

My dads got an 03 Cobra... just a few things done to it and its pushing over 500 at the crank.... It would take some spray for me to be able to keep up or (possibly) win....

I still havnt taken it to the track... I was going to go last friday but unfortunatly it was raining and i wasnt going to do a 2 hour drive up there and have to turn right back around... so i ended up not going... Some of my friends that went anyway said they only got to run twice...

(The closest track is 2 hours away )
Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
**** Unit, you told me the ac has no affect on racing! Hmmmmm....remember my kill of the 911 TT? I beat his *** running from the light with the ac on and you made an *** out of yourself saying it had no affect on my lauunch or race. Wow, you are such a wealth of info.
Last time I checked, a Cobra and a fbody are completely different cars and they behave completely different as well. You're damned near stock and my car is heavily modified. Totally different animal. How much vaccuum are you pulling at idle? You making 650+ft-lbs at 2,000rpm? You have idle issues that need to be tuned out? I can't go from a 5K dump on the street or the power/torque will roast the tires off the wheel. You can. At that rpm, A/C doesn't play much of a role since you'll be WOT almost immediately.

You should ask "why" my car bogs off the line with the A/C on before drawing your own dumbass conclusion. I have a small idle issue as a result of an aftermarket throttle body that needs to be tuned out.

You sir were the one that didn't even know the A/C cuts out at WOT.

Laugh all you want. The bottom line is that you'll see tail lights...until they fade away in the distance.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all we need is a pimp slap smiley and that should cover that
Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Unit, stupid unit. I guess you cant read my sig, Im all stock. Hey kid. Hooked on phonics works for you too boy. Youve never been beat by an F-body huh? Come on down kid. You will need all you have to keep up with me, well that and the ability to read my sig. Can you explain the conclusive details of how different our ac compressors are moron? You are actaully....ACTUALLY trying to say my ac compressor will affect me differenty off the launch than yours? Fu*king idiot you are. When you plan a trip to Ft.Laud., look me up. We will film this for everybody. Good enough? My sig doesnt even list all my mods ***** wrinkle.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

You two quit it with the testosterone bullshit and post up your best slips. If ya ain't got none? STFU!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Unit, stupid unit. I guess you cant read my sig, Im all stock. Hey kid. Hooked on phonics works for you too boy. Youve never been beat by an F-body huh? Come on down kid. You will need all you have to keep up with me, well that and the ability to read my sig. Can you explain the conclusive details of how different our ac compressors are moron? You are actaully....ACTUALLY trying to say my ac compressor will affect me differenty off the launch than yours? Fu*king idiot you are. When you plan a trip to Ft.Laud., look me up. We will film this for everybody. Good enough? My sig doesnt even list all my mods ***** wrinkle.
It's you sir who is the ******* moron.

Yes...you're A/C compressor will affect your car differently because I have IDLE ISSUES right now as a result of the TB. It's fighting to hold idle. Your car do that? Get it now dumbass?

You have H/C...great. Like I said, basically stock. Give me a shout when you're pushing 20psi and a **** load of nitrous though that ******. Then talk to me about launching off idle.

As I've said before, I've forgotten more than you know about LS1's my friend.

This is the END of this conversation. We're not going to continue this stupid *** flamewar in this guys post.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
You two quit it with the testosterone bullshit and post up your best slips. If ya ain't got none? STFU!
Slips? No slips for the street racing director. I think the majority of folks understand what my car can and can't do.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think having the a/c on makes a big difference. Even though the compressor shuts off at wot, you don't launch at wot. Between shifts you let off the throttle unless you are runnin slicks and a 9 bolt. For me there is alot of time not spent at wot and during this time my car feels like a slug with the a/c on. I think having the a/c on is a very valid excuse as long as it's true.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unit213
Slips? No slips for the street racing director. I think the majority of folks understand what my car can and can't do.
Damn Unit! When ya gonna get that thing on the track and shut these peeps up?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Personally I think having the a/c on makes a big difference. Even though the compressor shuts off at wot, you don't launch at wot. Between shifts you let off the throttle unless you are runnin slicks and a 9 bolt. For me there is alot of time not spent at wot and during this time my car feels like a slug with the a/c on. I think having the a/c on is a very valid excuse as long as it's true.
Who says ya don't shift at WOT? You ain't been racing with me have ya? I never lift off the floor when I'm serious, EVER. Oh..., I forgot, you drive an F-bod with that shitty 10 bolt in it. I probably wouldn't power shift with that thing either. My bad...

Last edited by CharlieCobra03; 08-19-2005 at 01:53 PM.