Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 SS vs 03 Cobra with pulley/exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 SS vs 03 Cobra with pulley/exhaust mod

I was driving down the freeway at about 55 mph and a great looking black 03 Cobra pulls up next to me. He goosed it so I figured I would play. I have smoked a couple 03/04 Cobras that were modded so I figured easy kill. I went to third at 55 to mess with him, and he absolutly left me. I figure, maybe I should try harder. I get up next to him and he ask if I want some more. I say yes and he nails it and I shift to third at 65 mph. He dust me again. We exit the freeway and take a right, I ask him if he has the pulley/exhaust mod and he laughs and says yes. I tell him I want one more try, can I get the jump. He says "yes, you'll need it." We are doing 40 mph and I go to first, he gets on it almost the instant I did. I am spining tires but manage to put his front bumper at the front of my door. I slam in to second and catch one hell of a scratch, I hear the blower on the Cobra screaming, I pull hard again and put his front bumper at the back of my passengar door. I slam into third and this time I pull really hard, his front bumper is at my back bumper. I think, hell yeah, I am pulling on a Cobra with the pulley/exhaust mod (500rwhp ballpark) Then I go to grab fourth. I miss it. No! He flys by me. Dont care though, I was real proud of my car. My car only has 40k on it, but I have not done the drill out mod yet. Sometimes when I race back to back, I start with the missed shifts, and eventually the clutch sticks to the floor. I am going to have to make time to do the drill out mod.
I learned two things, dont underestimate your prey, because a loss is a loss, and two, a lightly modded LS1 car (if you run the crap out of it) will pull on an 03/04 Cobra with the pulley/exhaust mod. Now before you Cobra fanatics start talking smack. My car is a bit of a ringer. With the mods I have I outran my buddies 01 ws6 that ran 13.00 with spray (he sprayed when we raced) I also outran another buddy with an 02 ws6 with aftermarket cam and spray. ( I doubt he sprayed when we raced) and also an 05 6.0 GTO with headers and exhaust, among others I have beaten) So my car is pretty quick anyhow. I dont know If it has an aftermarket cam, I dont think so though. It may have had porting to the stock heads because the gasket sticking out of the side is not a stock style. Other than not knowing the exacts about possible head work, my only mods are listed in my sig...

Last edited by ss02Camaro; 08-26-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss02Camaro
I have smoked a couple 03/04 Cobras that were modded so I figured easy kill.
And all you have is exhaust work done? Hmm, I gotta call BS on all your kill claims. I'd like to see someone else here with a fast car who lives near you race you and get it on video. You are pushing about 340-350rwhp and you think you are faster than cam'd or NOS's LS1's of the same year and 450rwhp Cobras?? (Btw most pulley/exhaust guys are more like 450rwhp, not 500rwhp unless the blower is ported). It sounds like maybe that guy missed a shift or something on that last run. How do you explain the first two times he dusted you?

Last edited by KB99WS6; 08-26-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Default bs?!

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
And all you have is exhaust work done? Hmm, I gotta call BS on all your kill claims. I'd like to see someone else here with a fast car who lives near you race you and get it on video. You are pushing about 340-350rwhp and you think you are faster than cam'd or NOS's LS1's of the same year and 450rwhp Cobras?? (Btw most pulley/exhaust guys are more like 450rwhp, not 500rwhp unless the blower is ported). It sounds like maybe that guy missed a shift or something on that last run. How do you explain the first two times he dusted you?
If there is one thing I dont do it is lie. I am in Texas, I am going to Kentucky for 3 months for a school for the Army at Fort Knox. Is that too far for you to drive? Also he did not miss a shift, I heard his car screaming the whole time. The first too times I thought I was billy bad ***, I thought I could take him easy. Stock Cobras are weak, I have beat them before. Again I say, Dont underestimate you opponant, a loss is a loss.

Last edited by ss02Camaro; 08-26-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

ps- do you still have the stock Y-pipe too? I don't see a mention in your sig of that.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Default Need to fix sig

ps- do you still have the stock Y-pipe too? I don't see a mention in your sig of that.
I need to fix my sig, I have and offroad y pipe. I also have an electric cuttout, on the first two runs it was closed, and final run was wide open. Perhaps you didnt read my whole thread. The guy that owned the car before me did all mods except the subframe connectors. He may have done head or cam work, I dont know, I am not going to put guesses in my sig. On radials with no traction I run high twelves, with sticky tires I should be in the mid to low 12's or better. Not to mention 1-3 on the tremecs are ruthless. 03/04 Cobras with pulley and exhaust mods run high 11's. Perhaps I am a better driver than this guy...
Old 08-26-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Mid 12 is a stock 03/04 cobra time Modded ones(depends on the mods, but lets say light bolt ons) are low 12's. A pulley/tune/bolt on 03/04 is easily a 11.5 or faster with a tire.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious about this magical pulley/exhaust mod that puts Cobras at 500rwhp. You forgot the ported Eaton mod, or nitrous, or a KB/Whipple, BAP, CAI, plugs, etc, etc.

It takes more than a pulley and exhaust to hit 500rwhp. If it was a 500rwhp car, you definitely would've known.

Your car runs mid to high 12's at the very best. No big deal though. It's always fun racing as long as no one gets hurt or arrested. Nice runs
Old 08-26-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the previous owner modded more than he told ya. Good kill on the third race.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Yeah sorry this does sound like a buncha of BS.... You've smoked 03-04 Cobra, cammed and sprayed LS1s...... Hard to believe! Many pullied tuned 03-04s are in the upper 400rwhp (460-475rwhp) over 100rwhp more then you. Bolt-on and sprayed LS1s can be around 425-500rwhp depending on the shot with **** loads of torq..... Think about it 4 a minute.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

I need to fix my sig, I have and offroad y pipe. I also have an electric cuttout, on the first two runs it was closed, and final run was wide open. Perhaps you didnt read my whole thread. The guy that owned the car before me did all mods except the subframe connectors. He may have done head or cam work, I dont know, I am not going to put guesses in my sig. On radials with no traction I run high twelves, with sticky tires I should be in the mid to low 12's or better. Not to mention 1-3 on the tremecs are ruthless. 03/04 Cobras with pulley and exhaust mods run high 11's. Perhaps I am a better driver than this guy...
I did read the whole thread. You edited that stuff in after I posted
Old 08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

I think he's just a good driver. Good almost kill? (missed 4th) Get some mods on that LS1 and try again.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I did read the whole thread. You edited that stuff in after I posted
I edited my poor spelling. I am going to see if I can get some video footage to upload... I could care less if some of you believe me or not, but if your near Fort Hood Tx, or Fort Knox, ky (between Sept-Dec) I would be glad to show ya what I got.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to leave the cobra story out of it and call BS on you beating the 13.0 PLUS spray LS1, and the cam/spray LS1. They must have been sideways through 4th gear for you to barely beat them.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

A dyno or track times will tell you whats done. Hell the idle will tell you if there is a cam. All those mods and your beating the crap out of it without knowing your a/f is safe.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

I don't question the results as there are different variables as to why you beat him. The Cobra driver may have shifted early on that 3rd run is an obvious one. Since he beat you the first 2 runs and you wanted a jump on him, he was probably not wanting to wring out his car this time around.

For the record I ran neck and neck with an 03 Cobra with 7k miles that put down 419rwhp with just CAI and Borla exhaust without cats. I also beat a 2000lb Civic hatch with about 10psi of boost. Both runs were from 40-130/end of 4th gear. My car seems to be a pretty strong runner too. The Cobra guy couldn't believe I kept up with him like I did as he's beaten several LS1's with bolt ons before.

Jason
Old 08-27-2005, 02:22 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

With the mods I have I outran my buddies 01 ws6 that ran 13.00 with spray (he sprayed when we raced)
13 seconds with spray??? That's pretty sad.

I also outran another buddy with an 02 ws6 with aftermarket cam and spray.
Did he have just a cam or other supporting mods, like LT headers, CAI, tune??? If so, I don't see how your near stock car can beat that WS6.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Default BS!? Dont believe me, come get'cha some..

Originally Posted by AOC
13 seconds with spray??? That's pretty sad.

Did he have just a cam or other supporting mods, like LT headers, CAI, tune??? If so, I don't see how your near stock car can beat that WS6.
He has headers and a loudmouth exhaust. What dont you people understand? Who said my car was near stock, over and over I have said I dont know the extent of the internal mods. I could have a stealth cam, and maybe head work. I have visual proof of possible head work, I also stated I run a high 12 with no traction at all on crummy radials. Plus, I am apparently a good driver. Its not all about horsepower. And a win is a win, weather it is pure power or driving ability.
Again, anyone in Texas (or Kentucky) that wants to run, bring it. If I am a fraud I wont show up, but I will!! Its fun, I have nothing to lose and everything to prove. I will also settup some runs with the fbody's I was talking about. Yes, they have done more mods, I need to run them again too. I am getting ready to go to Iraq for a second time, when I return I am procharging my car. So I would really love to show some of you up before the forced induction. I am also still going to try to get some video footage, of course some of you paranoid skeptics will surely think I have settup the races.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So I would really love to show some of you up before the forced induction.
If I were in Texas, I'd run you after you got the blower. No point running you N/A.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

I also stated I run a high 12 with no traction at all on crummy radials.
What was your trap speed? Can you post the time slip?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Teching In

What was your trap speed? Can you post the time slip?
12.904@118.2, no traction, horrible 60ft. I am going to see if my buddy will let me borrow his slicks then I will post an updated time. I would upload a slip but I dont have a scanner. I am going to post some vid's as soon as I learn how to convert the footage onto my computer. The only vid I have right now though is racing a lightning, it dynoed at 385/465 at the wheels but weight played a factor of course so I beat him pretty bad. The Cobra in question is a pretty cool guy and I am sure he will let me get footage of us racing, win or loose I will post that too.

Quick Reply: 02 SS vs 03 Cobra with pulley/exhaust mod