Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Opinions on streets racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on streets racing

I have to write a research paper for college. I'm sick of writing about cloning, and I'm sure my teachers are sick of reading about it. I decided to write about street racing. It may not be the best topic, but at least I'll enjoy it. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys (street racers) think of the current laws, and the enforcement of those laws pertaining to street racing. I was also wondering what you think of state funded drag strips. I might try to suggest that states pave out a section of road that is specifically for racing. No tree, no clock, just a spot for some kids to go at 1 AM. I figure this would greatly decrease street racing, because instead of facing legal trouble and hurting innocent people, you could just drive 20 minutes at have a legal race. Do you think it might even save the states money? Considering the cost to pave a few 1/4 mile strips VS. the cost of extra cops and tying up the court rooms it might be worth the inevitable liability suits. This may be the wrong forum for my question, but I didn't see a better place to put it. Nobody knows more about racing than racers. Anyhow, any opinions or other information about racing would help a ton.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The public roads used as racing strip will never happen. Don't remember which county, but, there is @ least one County in Ca where the local law enforcement sponsors an "us against the cops" format for racing @ a local track. Seems to be working & the object is to keep the racing on the track & not on the streets. The biggest problem with drag racing @ the 1/8 or 1/4 mile strip is that a car needs to be set up for drag racing to win races. Cars set up for drag racing make for crappy street cars in terms of handling & switching back & forth is a pain in the a$$. Many street races are from a roll. Asking for a roll race makes one a "pu$$y". However, a lot of races start from highway speeds. Another part of the problem is that to track race on an oval or road course is too expensive. If the road/oval tracks were more affordable places to race (time trial type of races/one car @ a time), there would be a place to race @ high speed over distance. This type of racing is more geard toward the set up of a street car. Am not talking about Ricer/*** cone racing, am talking about a real track as opposed to a parking lot. IMO, the road/oval tracks becoming affordable places to race would do more to reduce street racing than 1/8th or 1/4 mile tracks.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

your ideas great--untill someone dies and the parents sue the state. I have also thought alot about your idea, and when i was younger it made alot of sence, then i realized that there are people out there looking to capitolize on everyhting, even a loved ones death, and if the state has something like that they would be held liable if anything happened. As fas as street racing goes, its retarded ricers who race down streets during lunch hour with pidestrians all over the place that is really screwing things up. Here in florida we have nice long bridges to race on. Street racing on a bridge IMO is acceptable, no one is at rick but yourself, on a city street where you could loose control and destroy a building or kill someone isnt cool.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that state sponsored tracks will not happen. You would also have to figure in the liability factor. johnny takes his 02 ws6 out there loses control kills himself and Vanilla Ice in the Civic and who is liable , the track as well as the kid/parents. IMO they are to into making money from the street scene, generates alot of $$$$$$$$$!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Teching In

My opinion. Street racing is okay when I'm doing it with one of my friends. Everyone else is too irresponsible to know when to let out or when conditions are not good. Or at least that is what most people will say and how they feel. I love running up to (and a little over) the speed limit if conditions are good but it only takes one persons negligence to cause an accident and give a bad image to anyone taking off faster than what some people consider "necessary".

I think a lot of laws have been passed in order to give police more discretion as far as pulling people over and issueing fines. 95% of these laws are worthless or redundant and simply rob us of our freedoms based on some traffic cops interpretation of their meaning. Unsafe acceleration, exhibition of speed, noise ordinances, reckless driving, unsafe movement...some of these have been created to give officers more power and are open to interpretation by the officer. I've seen these laws used in good ways and misused (given to cops by politicians I've helped elect) but for the most part they were all created to make voters feel better and make it appear elected officials are doing something and public tax money is being used properly. Gotta be doing something or you are not earning your money.

Already laws on the books against racing and speeding. I'm not sure how the statistics play out but I'm willing to bet DUI is a higher cause of death among motorist than street racing. The news always likes to play up the "speed was a factor" angle but a lot of us drive fast, maintain our vehicles, pay attention (usually looking for cops), and avoid danger and accidents. I bet a good majority of accidetns are caused by the slow, inattentive, cell phone yacking drivers that make up the the general public. Street racing helps make headlines, move newspapers, and gets ratings but I bet it's only a drop in the bucket compared to general stupidity. But they will never attack the general public. It that is the behavior of the majority of the people everyone else must be wrong.

As far as the state funded dragstrips, I'm sure the states would screw them up pretty bad too. The safety ***** have seen to that. Nothing will ever be as simple as a wide lane of black top that dead ends in the middle of nowhere and drivers are warned of the use of the area by signs. It is cheaper and more profitable to simply confiscate cars, tickets drivers and issue citations. Besides, creating an area for such use would be viewed as condoning the events and thus making the states liable for any accidents and encouraging the behaviour (this is what a safety **** would say after they were through goose stepping). Other than that I think it is a great idea would help reduce the risk of deadly road incidents. But let's see a politician get elected without having a demon like street racing around to scare people with. Many of them are too afraid to attack the cell phone yackers because of the political backlash of so many people that use them while driving.

When street racers vote and speak out, then we might get heard. Oh yeah...insurance companies and the speeding laws are mostly crooked too.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Let me suggest to you the same types of papers I did a few times that you stand a better chance at arguing. Do it over highway speed limits. There is even a government research study out there that shows that lower speed limits increase accidents and visa versa. Hell speed limits in the '50s were as high as they are now and cars are much more sophisticated in suspension, tires, brakes, etc. now to handle it. There is a lot of good points to be made, such as the misconception that "speed kills", as well as the idea that if you raise the speed limits to a reasonable speed people will still go 5-10 over. There is a lot of smack talked by government officials, especially Nader and his doomsday predictions over the national 55mph speed limit change in the mid-90s. Look it up, there is plenty out there for you and good luck!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Teching In

WE LIve in DEMOCRAT .. if u broke the Understanding of that WOrd DOwn you would know that could never HAPPEN . Even with the WORDERFULL IDEAS haha
Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

am I the only one who has no clue what this guy just said?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zeus
am I the only one who has no clue what this guy just said?
Nope....

State sponsered street racing has absolutely no chance of becoming reality. Also people will always race on the streets, hopefully they are smart enough to do it on that famous test track in the Mexican desert..
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Race wars!!
I wish government sponsored tracks could be reality but they never will be. There would be too many people who would take advantage of the system and file suit, etc. We'll just have to continue risking it on the street, as racers have done since the early days of hot-rodding. This especially goes for those of us unable to go to a legal track such as Lebanon, etc.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i love street racing. i think everyone should do it. weather your young and healthy or old and crippled i think street racing is great fun anytime. it brings family and friends closer together plus it gives me a great sense of self pride when my car blows away the competition.

happy street racing
Old 11-21-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as the state-funded strip, I would just be suggesting it. I know that it will be a long time, if ever, before this happens. Normally I'd say it'll never happen, but that's what I said about the legalization of pot anywhere in the U.S. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

The fast and furious ruined street racing. It single handedly made teenagers and some in their early 20 into complete morons. You have young males in cars not meant to go much over the speed limit driving them like they have racecar suspension and power. They also seem to never want to let off. If someone put some land on you and you're going 100+, there is no way in hell your car is gonna magically pull ahead. And the word nitrous no longer exists, its NAWWWWWS

When ricers ask about my car I can't remember how many times they've asked me how much naws are you spraying. I quickly correct them that it is pronounced NITROUS. Man those bastards annoy me.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28MrJ
WE LIve in DEMOCRAT .. if u broke the Understanding of that WOrd DOwn you would know that could never HAPPEN . Even with the WORDERFULL IDEAS haha
If you are trying to say Democracy, then no you are wrong. American's please listen up, I know you think we all live in a Democracy but if you read the constitution you would be quite surprised. No where does it say America is a democracy, we are a Republic like it or not.

edit: Here is the constitution, go ahead look for the word democracy. Actually look at Article 4:
http://www.house.gov/paul/constitutiontext.htm
Old 11-21-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giant016
I have to write a research paper for college. I'm sick of writing about cloning, and I'm sure my teachers are sick of reading about it. I decided to write about street racing. It may not be the best topic, but at least I'll enjoy it. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys (street racers) think of the current laws, and the enforcement of those laws pertaining to street racing. I was also wondering what you think of state funded drag strips. I might try to suggest that states pave out a section of road that is specifically for racing. No tree, no clock, just a spot for some kids to go at 1 AM. I figure this would greatly decrease street racing, because instead of facing legal trouble and hurting innocent people, you could just drive 20 minutes at have a legal race. Do you think it might even save the states money? Considering the cost to pave a few 1/4 mile strips VS. the cost of extra cops and tying up the court rooms it might be worth the inevitable liability suits. This may be the wrong forum for my question, but I didn't see a better place to put it. Nobody knows more about racing than racers. Anyhow, any opinions or other information about racing would help a ton.

Look up some statistics on street racing related fatalities vs alcohol related fatalities in a year. I'm not saying the cops should look the other way when someone street races, but they take it too far sometimes. They are starting to do undercover stings and put together task forces to catch street racers. I think they should spend that time and money on something more serious.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

My opinion on 90% of street racing is simply they happen inpromptu and are not planned. Simply a quick run between car A and car B to see who is faster/quicker.

Street racing cannot be put on a drag strip or any other place that you would have to: 1. drive to and could be out of the way, 2. have to pay for and probably wait your turn for each run, 3. have a record of for your insurance company to jack up your costs three fold.

My suggestion is a seperate lane with barriers on the main freeways. Kind of like a car pool lane but with a cement barrier and rules like the autobahn.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6SpeedWS6Formula
Let me suggest to you the same types of papers I did a few times that you stand a better chance at arguing. Do it over highway speed limits. There is even a government research study out there that shows that lower speed limits increase accidents and visa versa. Hell speed limits in the '50s were as high as they are now and cars are much more sophisticated in suspension, tires, brakes, etc. now to handle it. There is a lot of good points to be made, such as the misconception that "speed kills", as well as the idea that if you raise the speed limits to a reasonable speed people will still go 5-10 over. There is a lot of smack talked by government officials, especially Nader and his doomsday predictions over the national 55mph speed limit change in the mid-90s. Look it up, there is plenty out there for you and good luck!
i agree. i had to do a compare and contrast essay. and i did the Autobahn vs. American freeways. and the idea that "speed kills" is totally wrong. its "stupid inexperienced people speeding kills" the autobahn has less fatalities than american freeways. i think in vermont or kansas in the mid 90's they raised the freeway speeds by 5 mph. and their accident percentage fell almost 10%. so i vot for an interstate Autobahn styled road in america!!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Teching In

what i say makes perfect sence .. Guess u did not BREAK Both Street RAcing and what we Live in today.. Down enough maybe it was republic haha
Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to be a street race was either an impromptu contest at a light, or a carefully set up contest, on a deserted back road, with less than a dozen folks knowing about it.
What's happening now is not street racing, but more akin to a circus, with huge crowds drinking beer, and smoking dope wondering what yahoo with their fart can equipped rice-mobile is going to buzz off down the street next.
Real street racing still goes on, and will continue long after the FTF craze has died away.
As for why alot of them don't go to the track (even if one is available) is the rules/tech inspections, alot of them don't have helmets, roll cages, fire systems, chutes etc etc etc, that would be required on cars that go as fast as they can, plus alot of them like to keep the full capability of their cars a secret, and with the time and speed being displayed for all to see, that's another strike against tracks, then there's the waiting around, the cost (tho usually minimal) all add up to something they don't want to be a part of, so they race on the street, with their own rules
Old 11-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

How about UAW sponsored strips? Put some of that American money to work to bring back the fun & jobs!