Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Q about being a good driver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about being a good driver.

So I always hear this "his driving sucked" or "he couldnt drive that thing for crap". Now what exaclty does this mean? I have a hard time coming up with a visual in my head of how a person who drives an M6 can be so bad at it. I drive an M6 and honestly its so damn easy to drive. The launching sucks but it isnt like doing calculus.
So what makes a bad driver a bad driver? I really cannot grasp the idea of someone who drives an M6 that just sucks at driving it.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's about staying in your optimal powerband.
It's about proper gear selection for the speed you're travelling in.
It's about shifting like your car is stolen.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

Shifting without lag.
Shifting into the correct gear from a roll for optimum acceleration
Not blowing the tires off on launch
In the drifting crowd, holding deep angles at high sustained speed controlably.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's about launching. Getting a car to hook out of the hole...isn't always easy. Takes alot of skill to launch a high horsepower manual car. Same apply's for bikes. Getting that power to the ground...is key.

then...

your 1-2 shift...is crucial, as is any gear. The quicker, the better. The less you LIFT off the throttle between shifts, the quicker and higher it's gonna go back into or stay into it's powerband when you let the clutch back out.

Same apply's for the 2-3 and 3-4...and for me...4-5. I lift very little, if at all. It's a bitch to handle that 1-2 and 2-3 due to lack of traction. The car is pulling, but skateing all over the road(within it's own lane) as it looks for traction. In my opinion, it takes skill to handle a car like that.

To handle something that seems to be at the point of seemingly loosing control...is awesome.

Then, while at speed, you've got to be in control...and not freak, like some people have. I drive fast on the highway,... some people just can't negotiate through traffic without takeing crazy high speed cuts...seemingly outta control. I like to stay as smooth and clean as possible. Also....I exit the highway at ungodly speeds as well.

But...powershifts take their toll on the transmission, and possibly the valve train. In my lifetime...I have killed alot of transmissions.

Starting when I was 16...
1988 GT mustang. 3 world class T-5's.
1997 Cobra 3 T-45 transmisions. All shot.
2002 Z06. 1 transmissions.
1997 B2300 1 transmission.
2000 FRC vette. trans needs to come out. I have a hard time down shifting to 3rd or 4th gear.

I don't miss gears. Really. I do go to the track alot(not lately).

Just daily abuse, and hard driving takes it's toll.

But in my opinion,....a good driver, should be defined as well rounded. Confortable in any car. Able to quickly understand the car he's driveing, regardless of how much seat time he has in that particular vehicle. Able to launch, shift, control the car/bike....at any and all speeds.... any car...any time.

Sorry for the rambleing.

You should probably look up information on EVAN SMITH. The guy is badass on the drag strip. He can drive any car,...anytime. I belive all the mustang and LS1 derrived magizines use him for testing.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Banned

Wow V-series, in my 88' I went from AOD to TKO500 for that exact reason, you vindicated me .

I can shift pretty good though when racing, I mean, 1-2 usaully gives about 20' of rubber (Yeah, i still granny shift )
Old 12-06-2005, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Same car different drivers:

Driver 1- Blows the tires loose on the launch, lifts gas pedal between shifts, makes slow shifts (key indication is when you see the nose of the car fall).

Driver 2 - Slip chirp on the launch but keeps the rpms in the powerband, keeps gas pedal floored during shifts (nose of car doesn't fall), when shifts sounds like an auto shifting.

You can see that driver 2 will have a quicker ET and a higher mph. Like mentioned above keeping the car in the meat of the powerband and getting through the gears as fast as possible is an indication of a good driver. Just go to your local track and sit in the stands watch and listen. You'll be able to tell the difference. To me driving manual trannys is like an art. Good to see someone "banging" gears. -Mark
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

My friends say im a pretty good driver, really its all about driving your car like you dont care about it. I try to only do it during races that i know there is a chance of me losing. But as said above, speed shifting will over time kill your car. My clutch is slipping on speed shifts now however so i guess its time for a new one.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Wow V-series, in my 88' I went from AOD to TKO500 for that exact reason, you vindicated me .

I can shift pretty good though when racing, I mean, 1-2 usaully gives about 20' of rubber (Yeah, i still granny shift )

lol.

Guess I should add,....7 modular motors in the 1997 4.6. 22 serpentine belts. three belt tensioners,,,,..... hmmm...what else. torque boxes in the 1988 GT,,,....completely shot,. LOl. brings back memories. The entire driveline what slide out on the driver side about 3 inches whenever you where under load....as soon as you let off the gas, it would go back to normal.

LOL.

I've killed a motor in another LS1 as well.

...thinking......

...basiclly....i'm pretty rough on cars.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ Let me make sure I never buy a car from you, lol.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol ^^^
Old 12-06-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
^ Let me make sure I never buy a car from you, lol.

Just look for the add... " Car in mint condition, never been abused, never seen the track, never seen rain, never been smoked in(atleast not cigerettes)... always under 75mph,..never had sexual incounters in, etc etc"

lol.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you forgot, new tires. lol geee wonder why.... lol
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
you forgot, new tires. lol geee wonder why.... lol

Actually. I have gone through three sets of tires on the rear, since JULY of this year. The third set, is on the car now.

Fronts are now due.

Yes, I am retarded.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

I've always wanted to ask, but didn't think it was worthy of its own thread:

What is power-shifting?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FLA02TA
I've always wanted to ask, but didn't think it was worthy of its own thread:

What is power-shifting?
Powershifting is when you shift gears without lifting the gas pedal. Just keep your right foot pegged and push the clutch in change gear and release clutch. If done fast enough, you won't hit the limiter. -Mark
Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Powershifting is when you shift gears without lifting the gas pedal. Just keep your right foot pegged and push the clutch in change gear and release clutch. If done fast enough, you won't hit the limiter. -Mark

What he said....more or less.

Power shifting-flat shifting-full throttle shifting......same thing.

Stock clutches will handle it for a while, depending on power level but....most likely want to invest in a high performance setup.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

DAMN< well, i i guess i know why my car cost me so much, I bulletproofed it, re-enforced TQ boxes, welded axle tubes,subframs,TKo500, etc. etc. etc.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stanger88
DAMN< well, i i guess i know why my car cost me so much, I bulletproofed it, re-enforced TQ boxes, welded axle tubes,subframs,TKo500, etc. etc. etc.

Good reason.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

everyone disses my car for the $$ spent vs. the performance gained. Most of them drive cars who's doors dont line up and the floorboard is cracked
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Stanger: Everyone is always quick to criticize and pick apart vehicles that are not theirs. You built your car to meet your specific wants and needs, if some one else cant appreciate that, too bad. Not everyone likes the same stuff. Ummmm.....like us we have 5L cars and here we are on the LSx site.

By the way, I have been following this website now for about 3 weeks, as of today I had to enroll. So here I am. My first reply. HELLO EVERYONE!!!