Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

death, kill...my ls1 against my VR-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death, kill...my ls1 against my VR-4

I already knew the outcome, but I got a buddy to run my ls1 against my vr-4 for some highway roll fun. Even managed to get some crappy vids too. I did a couple of 40 punches and a 60 punch. I intiated three honks everytime and made sure the Camaro took the jump just to give it a fighting chance. Mods in the sig. I was running 19psi.

40mph roll: Same outcome 2 out of 3 times (2nd run i missed and grinded the crap out of third ). The Camaro would take a small jump but by the end of second I would be about a car ahead. In third I kept walking away pretty easily and bad.

60mph roll: I did this run to give the Camaro an advantage. I was out effecient spooling range. The Camaro took about a car at first and then the VR-4 caught it by 3600rpm and then walked away.

It was fun. We did not do any races from a stop because there is really no point to beat up my transmission anymore since I could pull on the Camaro in high gear.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh. now post how much money was used in mods for the vr-4 vs the ls1. 3k gt's are nice cars but to expensive to maintain and modify.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to see the vids if you could post them up. I lvoe VR-4's. They're great looking and perform great when done right.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
heh. now post how much money was used in mods for the vr-4 vs the ls1. 3k gt's are nice cars but to expensive to maintain and modify.
Why does it matter how much money it takes to beat an ls1? Pretty sure it is less than what it would take for you to pull a stock viper.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Old Drag Racer

Ever notice how the money issue always seems to come up in a thread like this? Yes, 3/S TT's were expensive cars when new, around $40K in some cases not even counting the spyders. Therefore they repair and maintain like a $40K car, i.e. expensive as crap. Like all turbo cars though, the first few mods are cheap and reap huge rewards. After that, turbo upgrades cost from just under $1K to well over $5K depending on which ones you choose. Then comes the supporting mods for those turbos which, once again, run well into the thousands. Seems to me it's about the same for the LS1 F-Body though. The first few mods are cheap and then it gets expensive in a hurry. No need to list mods and prices. We all know what I'm talking about once you have to switch from the stock rear.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

There's under $3000 in performance upgrades done to the VR-4. The Camaro has maybe just under that cost in mods too. Now I know I can always put a new cam and run a 150 shot in the Camaro and the Camaro would walk the VR-4, but then again I could always change turbo housings and run bigger turbos and be able to take that Camaro out and so on...and so on.....

As for maintaining the car, I pay for fluids and plugs. Same as with the Camaro.

I don't know how to post vids. Sorry.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
Hahaha... I saw this coming from a mile away.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Teching In

It's always kind of fun to line up against one of your own cars. I used to to that with my Bimmer and RX7.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by diambo4life
Hahaha... I saw this coming from a mile away.
Me 2.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Racer

I plan on racing my ws6 and vr4 soon too. Just need to find a trustworthy driver! Ill run all engine on ws6 from a dig. ws6 will have slicks. Mods for both in sig. Plan on having videos of this posted within 1 month. Ill let you guys see it asap.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only power mods he has are 15g's... and buying bolt in replacement turbos is cheap.

Everything else is a supporting mod. I dont get what the beef is...... Run what ya brung right?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Having someone else drive your car is always a scary thing. Plus, you know that you can drive your car a little better then the next guy. But what else can you do?

The ws6 with slicks should really jump out of the whole and take away alot of the advantage of the vr-4. at 20psi, it's going to be a good race but i might have to side with your ws6 on that race
Old 02-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mastrhu
Having someone else drive your car is always a scary thing. Plus, you know that you can drive your car a little better then the next guy. But what else can you do?

The ws6 with slicks should really jump out of the whole and take away alot of the advantage of the vr-4. at 20psi, it's going to be a good race but i might have to side with your ws6 on that race
Yeah i plan on the ws6 walking him but it will be lots of fun. I really wish it was possible for me to drive both! lol I hate letting anyone but myself in the drivers seat! I guess ill have to drive the vr4 considering my ws6 is an auto and all they have to do is stall it up off the line,stomp it to the floor, and just try to keep it going straight! Which can be difficult at times in that car. But not many people can hit the gears in my vr4 like i can. I really wanna run 0-150mph but im too afraid to let anyone drive my ws6 that fast! Or my vr4 for that matter. Maybe to 120mph. Anyway ill let ya'll know the outcome. Just waiting for the rain to stop around here so i can go get my slicks mounted up!