Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

260hp 4.6 GTs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 260hp 4.6 GTs

why do these guys in say a 2000 mustang gt that have an exhaust and a few other items think they can hang with an LS1(granted that driver knows how to drive). do they just like to pretend they are at the track or they really think they can win? the only compitition really is a cobra...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:16 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, why bother making a whole new thread about this, when it's already being discussed in a few other threads? Second, there are tons of immature people everywhere. While they aren't really competition for an LS1 with equal drivers, it is more than possible for them to score a win with only bolt-ons, if they run against an F-body who's driver isn't all that good. Especially from a stop, and ESPECIALLY with a set of 4.10s. And a 5spd Mach vs. a 6spd F-body is technically a driver's race, with the edge going to the F-body.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

who cares if you outrun a bad driver. You only beat the driver, not the car. And a GT with a couple bolt'ons is not going to outrun even a 'worse than average' driver in a LS1. He would have to be terrible.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

A GT with just exhaust will not, but a GT with exhaust and gears as well as some other bolt-ons can take a STOCK LS1 on the street. That doesn't mean they always do, or that it makes the Mustang faster, but it does happen, I have seen it plenty of times. To the OP, a Mach 1 will give an LS1 a run for their money just so you know, the Cobra is not the only one to worry about. And Im with IRUNELEVENS, this thread probably needs to be closed, cuz this **** is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
who cares if you outrun a bad driver. You only beat the driver, not the car. And a GT with a couple bolt'ons is not going to outrun even a 'worse than average' driver in a LS1. He would have to be terrible.
??? Dude, you race the driver just as much as you race the car. Someone can go around bragging about how much HP their car has as much as they please, but if you cant make use of it, then its worthless. And yes a well driven geared + bolt-on 2 valve can take a stock LS1 on the street, even with a decent driver. Again I'm not saying that that every geared/bolton GT will, but I have seen it enough to know that it is not impossible by any stretch. Lets just get rid of these damn threads, cuz all it does is start worthless arguments over this B.S. We are all here because we are car enthusiasts.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
why do these guys in say a 2000 mustang gt that have an exhaust and a few other items think they can hang with an LS1(granted that driver knows how to drive). do they just like to pretend they are at the track or they really think they can win? the only compitition really is a cobra...
Same reason why my 304rwhp monster will out run some 03/04 cobras and LS1's at the track.

Remember its not peak hp that wins races..... it's how much the average hp you can apply to the ground. -Mark
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And a 5spd Mach vs. a 6spd F-body is technically a driver's race, with the edge going to the F-body.
Stock for stock, you have to include 3.23 A4's in there as well. M5 Mach 1's, M6 LS1's and 3.23 A4 LS1's are a drivers race, stock vs. stock.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Thats y i added a 100 shot to even it up a lil bit....
Old 01-22-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
??? Dude, you race the driver just as much as you race the car. Someone can go around bragging about how much HP their car has as much as they please, but if you cant make use of it, then its worthless. And yes a well driven geared + bolt-on 2 valve can take a stock LS1 on the street, even with a decent driver. Again I'm not saying that that every geared/bolton GT will, but I have seen it enough to know that it is not impossible by any stretch. Lets just get rid of these damn threads, cuz all it does is start worthless arguments over this B.S. We are all here because we are car enthusiasts.
yes, it is a worthless argument and it doesn't need to be taken any further than it has gone already. I just have to correct you on one thing. If you read again, you will see that I never said anything about a GEARED GT, just bolt ons. I know what a gear did for my car and i'm sure it will work miracles for a GT also. I still stand beside that. I will stop the comments now before it becomes a bench or paper race again.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by J E T
Stock for stock, you have to include 3.23 A4's in there as well. M5 Mach 1's, M6 LS1's and 3.23 A4 LS1's are a drivers race, stock vs. stock.
Yeah... GM actually put good automatics in the F-bodies and Corvette. 4L60E>AOD-E.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

In before the

But before it is locked...I never mentioned this on this site for certain reasons

But when I had just bought my car (I'm talking I only had the car for about 2 1/2 days) I was just out and about enjoying my car and getting used to it. I'll admit that NOW I think my car is slow but at the time it was by far the fastest car I had driven , and I was still getting used to the quirks of shifting and launching. Well, I pull up to a gas station and see a '99-'04 GT (turns out to be a '02) and of course I rev on the guy . He smiles and offers a few freindly runs. We head out and do about 3 dig runs. I kept screwing up and...missing gears, bogging down, etc...Needless to say the GT got me everytime. I was embarresed of course, and afterwards we pulled over and shot the ****. All he had was a full exhaust with LTs and a CAI ...But the guy also has a couple of bad *** track cars and runs them almost every weekend so he knew how to bang some gears, and I was new to the whole thing so therefore I got owned

I think about this night sometimes, and I can't wait for the time I see him again. I think the outcome will be just a little different

Just some food for thought before the lock.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Why is it always the Mustang guys screaming to get threads locked, this is an LS1 site, isn't it?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, but these particular threads are getting more and more common. Just last week this topic was discussed heatedly in probably 3 or more threads. Everyone has their opinions and no matter what us Mustang guys get bashed, which is expected, since this is an LS1 site. If it is closed or not, it doesn't bother me, I'm just waiting for the posters to show up that will spout off stupid **** like " I **** on GT's", and "No Mustang can hang with the almighty LS1!". Oh well, hopefully I'll have my LS1 soon and I wont feel the need to participate in these damn discussions.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nb4 teh , LS1 > all
is it just me??? or when you see a locked thread and you missed out on being a part of it you say "****!"... but when you see a thread you posted in with the big by it you just say to yourself, with a little bit of cockyness, "yeah...I was apart of that."
Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Calm down tough guy & play nice.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Originally Posted by 99Silverado5.3
nb4 teh , LS1 > all
is it just me??? or when you see a locked thread and you missed out on being a part of it you say "****!"... but when you see a thread you posted in with the big by it you just say to yourself, with a little bit of cockyness, "yeah...I was apart of that."
on all parts haha
Old 01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Same reason why my 304rwhp monster will out run some 03/04 cobras and LS1's at the track.

Remember its not peak hp that wins races..... it's how much the average hp you can apply to the ground. -Mark
you probably have a good set up for launching
Old 01-22-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsz28
Calm down tough guy & play nice.
i am calm lol... i just want to know if these mustang drivers race LS1s b/c they like racing and get an adrenaline rush like i do...? or do they think that a car that has 60 some HP more than them stock can lose to them.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
***Repost Police***

It can... you just gotta get lucky, or have gears/boltons and get a less-than-stellar LS1 driver.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

i am calm lol... i just want to know if these mustang drivers race LS1s b/c they like racing and get an adrenaline rush like i do...? or do they think that a car that has 60 some HP more than them stock can lose to them.
It could be either.

But you never know. Run what you brung and hope you have enough wether it be the hp or driver mod.