Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So, I don't race a whole lot anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default So, I don't race a whole lot anymore...

...not realy by choice, just cause my **** is blown up. Or should I say, apart, cause I don't know the cause of my bottem end "noise".

This is more then one sentence soo, read along...if you'd like.

That said, I have had a car in my hands for some time now, my buddy's car, which is a 05 C6 Z-51. Before, it made 480rwhp, with my heads(afr 205's)/cam(trak)/intake(fast) setup. Not bad at all. YOu guys have seen video's of it splattered across the net saying something like "C6 **Z06** walks 03/04 cobra" etc etc. Well, it isn't a Z06. It's low, big tires, 335's. Coil-overs. Black, 12"wide fikse's. So, yeah, it looks crazy, and could be, at first glance confused for a Z06. Since it's been down for ten months(SPEC clutch failure)...I just started to repair it religiously by myself now for the past two. It's been a long time coming for this car,....and the hopes of getting it finished, and returned to my good friend black bullet, was something that I have been trying to do now for sometime.

Finally, after a TFS 225cc milled heads swap, I needed to break in the clutch, and do some baseline fuel trim datalogging. So I had mike@diablosport come along for a night of car shows, and cruising.

I head to a local car show, crowded with people but, not as busy as most night. The car drew a pretty big crowd, as people the new it, couldn't belive it was the same car, and the people that it was new to, hadn't heard a corvette sound like this one I guess. It was cool. Saw some buddies,...and talked about some late night street action that was supposed to take place.

Anyways...couple of hours later, we're at the spot. Which was crowded with alot of friends but, alot more import lovers, as always. Some fast, most gay posers, only waisting space. It was crowded. We decied to take the "crew" to another spot, that we knew was good.

Soo, upon leaving, my buddy in a stripped down heads and cam FOX body mustang on a 175 shot happened to pull out in front of me. Now, I knew according to all the data that we had the the car was running a TAD rich, so, it was safe to go WOT.

..me and the stang, line up for a roll, at about 50ish mph, and both hit it at the same time. It was side by side but, I honestly was shifting at 6000rpm, and I was granny shifting. I really didn't want to stress the car at all, plus, it isn't MY car soo, I didn't go all out. If I would have power shifted, or even speed shifted, I would have put half a car to a car on him at each shift I could click off. But, what can you do. Again, it was for R&D purposes. At whatever speed I took it up to, maybe close to 5500 in 4th gear, I shut down cause the ACTIVE HANDLING made the car JOG a lil to the right. It does this cause he never put the TPS monitors in the aftermarket wheels, so the car thinks the tires are at 0psi.

Later that night, I saw a silver local AUDI, completely walk I belive the fastest stock motor cobra in the country. You wanna talk about launching on the street? Holy ****. This car(the audi) ******* ripped and dipped. It was really tight to see the lil car launch like that. It is a 120mph trap car as well. Pretty cool.

I then saw an LS1 383 200hp shot car run up against a 690rwhp kenne bell car(also runs a 200+shot but the bottle exploded in the car earlier in the weekend). It was a pretty cool race. The stang was on nitto's, so, he wanted to go from a slow roll. Bad idea. The cars both dipped out but, the cobra actually got soo sideways, it went off the road, into the grass, and back onto the street again with no scratches, and no animals were harmed in the process. Except for the snake.

Later....on the way out, on the highway,....everyone left together,...I ended up behind the cobra, on the highway. Me, being mischevious, and more then anything, curious to see what this 690(confirmed)rwhp cobra would do against this vette....I rolled up along side of him.

****, I don't remember what gear I started in but, I belive second(it was late, and no cars on the 4 lane highway)...anyways, we both went. I pulled about 3/4's of a car on him, then I shifted again at *6,000rpm(instead on 6800-7000rpm), and again, it was a slower then molasis(molasiss) shift. He then shifted a gear, and not very impressivly, passed me. Again, the active handling engaged at the top of 4th gear, causeing me to have not soo comfortable handling issues.

If I was in my car,...on spray, I would have walked that car. I just wasn't impressed with the way it moved. I don't know the actual number of the C6 I was driving but, my GUESS, is somewhere between 490 and 510rwhp. Soo, I dunno. I have always said, that a cobra/mustang, needs about 150-180rwhp to stay neck and neck with a vette at highway speeds, which would put me right on guess. He(the cobra), did win, without a doubt, it was a faster car but, it wasn't like, holy ****, that car makes 700 rear wheel. Dude in the cobra gave me a thumbs up,...and went on his way.

SO, at around almost 2am. I leave my buddies house,....streets are empty,...not a car in sight. I pull out to a long stretch of road, after leaving his neighbor hood.....slowly get to about 30-40mph, and lay into it,.....and BOOM, good bye differential. Cracked the case, just like that. No drag radials, no hard launch, no hard shift, just an attempt at a WOT first gear romp. I don't even think I went all the way to the floor yet. mother ******.

Soo, it just soo happened that my battery was dead, and I was broke, in the middle of the road, by myself. I pushed the 3200lbs black beotch off the road, and locked her up. Jogged my way back to my boys house, about a mile away. That kinda sucked. Grabbed some buddies, and 1 toyota truck, and towed her back to his crib. And the next day, I picked it up with a flat bed.

Lol. quite a night. Good but, really shitty.

Anyways, "my" car should be back witin a month....so, I should be more comfortable in behind the wheel of my own car.

See ya.,
Old 02-27-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that sucks. Well, it will be better next time. I keep telling myself that.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Damn, that absolutely sucks man!

The stangs need about 150-180 more hp to keep up w/ a vette at hwy speeds because of the extra weight, right? Or is it a combo of the weight and gearing? I would say both....but wanna hear it from someone with more vette experience than few rides in a C5 and driving a 78 a couple times.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

id say weight and aerodynamics at highway speeds. gearing could also be an issue.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

That is the sweetest white vette i have seen, sounds great to.
Does the Cobra know you was just playing with him?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Launching!

^Aerodynamics more than anything.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow long post...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a sweet night of racing, but the end sucks. Sorry about the car.

off topic: slowmofo that sigs rocks.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

dltaskull

Thanks man. Not a show car but, thanks G.

The cobra was without a doubt, a faster car. He probably would have won, either way but, I just wasn't impressed with how hard it pulled, even with the way I was driving, which was very LAX, and not my style. Hats off to the cobra. HIs car is tuned at the same spot mine is, so it's a friend of a friend.

If this vette makes 500rwhp, then that means my theory is correct about the mustang/cobra needing 150-180rwhp more then a vette to hang, or beat one.

Anyways...thanks again.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Socalmach
off topic: slowmofo that sigs rocks.
Thanks man,

V-Tec Sorry to hear about your shitty night man, sounds like a fun *** car though
Old 02-28-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

How the heck did you do that??????? LOOK, IT'S LIGHTNING MCQUEEN!!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Someone on the local mustang board made it for me with photoshop.. I freaking love it
Old 02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowmofo
Someone on the local mustang board made it for me with photoshop.. I freaking love it
Here's my much cheaper, much more generic version of my car, hope you like it (it actually took me about 10 minutes to make it...lots longer than I expected)

How do like the L88 cowl nose??
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

haha, I need to get PS and try it myself..
Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

haha, I need to get PS and try it myself..
Photoshop??? Hell man, I did that on Paint!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah Photoshop, alot of guys doing it are using Photoshop.. I could try one with Paint, but I think PS would be better.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah Photoshop, alot of guys doing it are using Photoshop.. I could try one with Paint, but I think PS would be better.
I'm sure it is better on PS. I'm just saying - I did mine on paint (I'm at "work" now)
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys smoke some good weed.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
You guys smoke some good weed.
only the best!!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

So dude let me get this traight is your C5 being sold or already sold? Is the C6 now yours? What did your buddy by to replace it? Sorry im a dumbass.