Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some suspension advice

Im running a stock suspension right now, but im getting pretty tired of the rough ride and excessive body roll, not to mention it squeaks like hell. What are some good upgrades to go with first? I want a good shock/spring combo, dont wanna lower it too much but I want a smooth ride with good handling. And if you guys have any other suggestions let me know, thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as shocks, I've had the stock decarbons, slp spec'd bilsteins, and now Koni's. The kon's rock and are well worth the money!! Springs are all going to lower your car some bit unless you do something that has adjustable height like a ground control setup (ground-control-store.com) which has threaded collars that you can use to raise or lower the car. Springs and shocks will help with ride if you get the right combo I seriously calling up Sam Strano and talking to him about what you want. The spring/shock combo should help your handling and may improve ride quality. They'll also help a little bit with body roll or at least the rate that the bod rolls (stiffer shocks will decrease rate of roll and stiffer springs will decrease roll). However, the biggest improvement to body roll will be a stiffer sway bar which there are several to choose from.

As far as squeaks, the suspension is not greasable in stock form but you can disconnect the lca's, phb and try putting a little grease around the bushings that may help but replacing them with stiffer units would be a good idea as well either bmr or umi makes good stuff. Do some research with the search engine and see what people say. Also, the stickies in this forum have lots of information. good luck!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. I dont mind lowering it now that ill have some new wheels on it (18" thin spokes) but like I said its daily driven and it rides rough as hell and doesnt handle all that great. So would you say springs/shocks should be the first thing I do? I see alot of other suspension pieces like lca's, sfc's, sway bars and all that. Im kind of a newb when it comes to picking out suspension pieces for an f body, just kinda need to be pointed in the right direction, thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Banned

dont do the same mistake as i did and go cheep on shocks, i fucked up and now i learned the hard way my shocks suck so much with my springs. remember seeing my drop? did u think that was to low? at bare minimum i would get kyb AGX shocks. look for good springs but not eibach sports. PHB is the next upgrade along with some sways (pricey but worth it) then get the LCA to loose the wheel hop, goodluck Evan, hit me up if u need help with ****
Old 11-08-2008, 05:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree with HossinatorSS, go with Sam. He will give you exactly what you tell him you want, and fully support you after the sale. You do not have to lower it; that is your choice. You can if you want, and I believe the Konis give you that option (I am not a fan of lowering, so I am not an expert). But Sam is the man when it comes to suspension, just check out his racing record.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP
My situation was similar to yours (old tired suspension)
Went with Strano Springs, Strano 35/22 swaybars and Koni 4/4's.
The difference is Night and Day, I really can't say enough about how good this set up is. Talk to Sam you won't be disapponted.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Thanks man. I dont mind lowering it now that ill have some new wheels on it (18" thin spokes) but like I said its daily driven and it rides rough as hell and doesnt handle all that great.
This will depend on what shock you choose. Out of the usual choices, the Koni SA fronts will allow "lowering" whilst using the stock springs on their lower perch settings. Approximately 3/4" front with lower perch, 1/2" using rear stock springs with "rear hose mod." Whilst this mod is not cheap and currently in high demand and short supply, I have felt that this mod really delivers its money's worth.

So would you say springs/shocks should be the first thing I do?
With what you proposed in the first post, I'd say definitely shocks, however springs could be optional (depending on really what you're willing to compromise height wise).

I see alot of other suspension pieces like lca's, sfc's, sway bars and all that. Im kind of a newb when it comes to picking out suspension pieces for an f body, just kinda need to be pointed in the right direction, thanks
Yeah, with all the myriad of parts, their claims, and implicated outcomes, this can get real confusing really quickly. I'd say give each vendor a call and really ask tough questions.

When you do call several vendors, one of them could be Sam Strano. Regardless of what others may asses him with, I personally can tell you that he's quite a good person to deal with, plus he won't oversell you unless you insist.

I'd like to say that to get these vehicles "feeling better than new" doesn't really require much, but rather require's the right parts (some inexpensive, some quite expensive).
Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. But yeah now that Im going with bigger wheels a more agressive stance would be nice, I dont mind lowering just as long as its not to the point that im scraping the air damn everytime i hit a bump.... One of my favorite stances is on detoxx's ta. As for handling im looking for more of smooth ride as its a daily driver, so not feeling every bump like im riding on steel would be nice, but at the same time I want it to be tight enough to pull nicely on canyons and all that... looking for more of a canyon cutter suspension than pure drag racing. And thanks Ara, ill def hit u up when I buy some shocks and springs if your down. btw you know anyone in the area whod be down to help me out with an oil pan gasket swap? thx
Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. But yeah now that Im going with bigger wheels a more agressive stance would be nice, I dont mind lowering just as long as its not to the point that im scraping the air damn everytime i hit a bump.... One of my favorite stances is on detoxx's ta. As for handling im looking for more of smooth ride as its a daily driver, so not feeling every bump like im riding on steel would be nice, but at the same time I want it to be tight enough to pull nicely on canyons and all that... looking for more of a canyon cutter suspension than pure drag racing. And thanks Ara, ill def hit u up when I buy some shocks and springs if your down. btw you know anyone in the area whod be down to help me out with an oil pan gasket swap? thx
Call me a if you want but you will be hard pressed to find a better setup than Strano /Koni. See Sig. I never thought my pig f-body could handle this good The package ain't cheap but it is a great mod!!! Worth saving for if you have too.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Call me a if you want but you will be hard pressed to find a better setup than Strano /Koni. See Sig. I never thought my pig f-body could handle this good The package ain't cheap but it is a great mod!!! Worth saving for if you have too.
you know,Sam must be friggin rich. I think everyone on this whole site ends up going with his stuff. lol
You da man Sam.. Will you be around tomorrow (Veterans Day)? I'd like to give you a call