Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

hotchkis springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hotchkis springs?

i want my car to corner and handle better. im looking into buying lowering springs for my car. i was wondering if anyone has tried hotchkis lowering springs on their f-body? what do you think?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

They are not a bad option at all. I've used them before and was pretty happy with them. I'm now running strano's though and they are a bit better for how I like the car to feel. If you want the car to handle, better shocks should be much higher on you list than springs. Shocks will do more for your suspension than anything else. For lowered cars Koni's are far and away the best option. They do a much better job controlling springs with higher spring rates and less suspension travel than Bilsteins. If you decide to keep the stock springs Bilsteins can be a good choice but the Koni's will allow you to adjust the ride for how you want and have the lower spring perch so you can get a lowered look without having to get lowering springs. It depends more than anything on how you are wanting the car to handle. "Better" is a very general term.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm right down 540 (Bethel Heights / Springdale) from you.

We need to talk and/or you need to stop by.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

sorry, i was kinda general when i said "better", wat i really want is to be able to corner at higher speeds im not really worried about how comfortable the ride is. to be im gonna be doing new shocks and struts when i put the new springs on so i will look in to the koni's. im also gonna check out the strano springs.thanks

Originally Posted by tpunk
They are not a bad option at all. I've used them before and was pretty happy with them. I'm now running strano's though and they are a bit better for how I like the car to feel. If you want the car to handle, better shocks should be much higher on you list than springs. Shocks will do more for your suspension than anything else. For lowered cars Koni's are far and away the best option. They do a much better job controlling springs with higher spring rates and less suspension travel than Bilsteins. If you decide to keep the stock springs Bilsteins can be a good choice but the Koni's will allow you to adjust the ride for how you want and have the lower spring perch so you can get a lowered look without having to get lowering springs. It depends more than anything on how you are wanting the car to handle. "Better" is a very general term.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have Hotchkis springs and koni 4/3's. i've autocrossed my car about 5 times on them. There is a huge difference compared to the crappy stock setup. Transition from left to right is improved alot along with slow and high speed corners. i've done the heater hose mod to the rear and have the front shocks on the lower perch for a little extra lowering. I think i may have a picture if you'd like to see what it looks like.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by devinfbody
I have Hotchkis springs and koni 4/3's. i've autocrossed my car about 5 times on them. There is a huge difference compared to the crappy stock setup. Transition from left to right is improved alot along with slow and high speed corners. i've done the heater hose mod to the rear and have the front shocks on the lower perch for a little extra lowering. I think i may have a picture if you'd like to see what it looks like.
If you do the "Upper Mount Mod" you can regain some of that lost suspension travel(compression).
Old 11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thats the first time i've heard of the "upper mount mod". It looks like something i may consider in the future. I havent had any problems with my car bottoming out or anything. Actually i think my headers would stop me from bottoming out haha. I have a couple flat spots on my primaries (crappy roads + driving too fast) my fault.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats the first time i've heard of the "upper mount mod". It looks like something i may consider in the future. I havent had any problems with my car bottoming out or anything. Actually i think my headers would stop me from bottoming out haha. I have a couple flat spots on my primaries (crappy roads + driving too fast) my fault.
The lowering perch is only intended for the stock springs.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

sure man, if you got a pic id like to see it to get an idea of the stance. thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The lowering perch is only intended for the stock springs.
Ok... Well it worked out ok for me.

Last edited by devinfbody; 11-08-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah my front is a little lower than my rear, but i don't mind. Sorry for the cell phone pic quality.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im looking at going with hotchkis lowering springs also.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

looks good man but i cant afford 900 bucks for the koni shocks and struts. know of any cheap ones that are still pretty decent?

Yeah my front is a little lower than my rear, but i don't mind. Sorry for the cell phone pic quality.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
looks good man but i cant afford 900 bucks for the koni shocks and struts. know of any cheap ones that are still pretty decent?
Call up Sam Strano (Stranoparts.com) and explain your situation to him.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do these springs compare to Stranos?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Cool

I am running Hotchkis Springs with Tokico shocks. The ride is a little harsh, but the car handles and corners better than I ever could have imagined. Here are a couple pictures.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1226203486
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1226203486
Attached Thumbnails hotchkis springs?-lowered-church.jpg   hotchkis springs?-wheel-side-view.jpg   hotchkis springs?-t-top-off.jpg  
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vicinity
How do these springs compare to Stranos?

They handle similarly, but like I've said I am happier with my strano's. The linear working rate is the big i difference in the strano's. The ride is stiffer than hotchkis but not to much. I use my car for DD and even on brick roads the car feels fine. A lot of that is the Koni's though. With bilsteins the ride was not nearly as well manerd with the lowering springs. The appearance is about the same. .2" more drop isn't really all that much unless you have 2 cars next to each other. The other difference is the Strano's are lighter, and we can use all the weight we can get taken off these cars. Either spring is a good choice. IMO the deciding factor should be if you want a linear or progressive rate spring.

Quick Reply: hotchkis springs?