Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Took my car to midas and now i need a whole new brake system???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Took my car to midas and now i need a whole new brake system???

So i was putting a new wheel stud on my car, then i couldnt get the caliper back on, couldnt even compress it, so i towed it to midas to have them flush the system and get the caliper back on. They get the caliper back on and are bleeding the system, when they said that my whole system is going to have to be replaced, because the brake fluid was contaminated. My brakes feel like hell, they go all the way to the floor, sometimes lock up, and they said i would need a new master cyl, new calipers, and all new hoses. Is there anything else i can do?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like BS to me. If you don't feel comfortable working on it yourself I'd get a 2nd opinion...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You talking front or rear caliper you couldnt get back in.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 12-18-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Default Bs

I think thats BS,
Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

If oil contaminates the brake fluid, then I would say yes. Oil will make anything rubber swell in a brake system. Do you have any idea how that could of happened?
If it really is contaminated, you will have to perform a thorough flush to get any oil out of the steel lines, then replace anything that contains rubber. Master cylinder, calipers, rubber hoses, etc.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like BS to me too. What sucks is that every business is hurting for money so they are going to say whatever it takes to get you to spend money there. Take your car to someone or somewhere that you can trust there diagnosis.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

maybe an off topic question, but would the lack of back pressure have anything to do with my breaks? like if i have no muffler and just an open stock y pipe?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Midas [and alot of other places] suck, they always tell you 'everythings shot'. They said the rotors couldn't be turned they were already too thin on a fairly new/lower mileage vehicle. Took them to my parts store and he said he could cut .250 off them and they would still be in spec. They wanted almost a grand for something that was fixed for under 300!

Get a second opinion!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
they said i would need a new master cyl, new calipers, and all new hoses.
MC is about $100 ... a good used one can be had for $20
New C5 calipers are $120 each ... O'Reilly's has complete caliper assemblies for $40 each
Hoses ... steel braided are $150.

They sida the fluid was contaminated ... with what? And if it became contaminated, where was the system breech? And were they not going to fix the breech?

This does sound a little shady ... I would fill this out.
http://midassurvey.zoop.net/index.html?lang=en
Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 PM

LOL about the Midas Survey. That sounds like some complete bullshit.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe an off topic question, but would the lack of back pressure have anything to do with my breaks? like if i have no muffler and just an open stock y pipe?
Nope.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

So i was putting a new wheel stud on my car, then i couldnt get the caliper back on, couldnt even compress it, so i towed it to midas to have them flush the system and get the caliper back on. They get the caliper back on and are bleeding the system, when they said that my whole system is going to have to be replaced, because the brake fluid was contaminated. My brakes feel like hell, they go all the way to the floor, sometimes lock up, and they said i would need a new master cyl, new calipers, and all new hoses. Is there anything else i can do?
You should bleed the brakes on your own before going any further. Alot of places like that are lazy and either won't do it or are complete dunces and don't do it properly, which is unsafe. Most of those places have incompetent employees, or will tell you anything to jack up the bill. If you need help, try this guide.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4213448.html
Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

........... Is there anything else i can do?
Yes there is something very productive and constructive you can do. Never ever ever take your car to Midas.

If it were me and I couldn't do it myself for whatever reason I would try to find an independent shop with a good reputation.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
Yes there is something very productive and constructive you can do. Never ever ever take your car to Midas.

If it were me and I couldn't do it myself for whatever reason I would try to find an independent shop with a good reputation.
OR go to the regional section of the forum where you live and ask if any of the local guys are willing to hang out/help/teach you.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

well i went to midas cuz they were the cheapest, i figured, its just getting the caliper back on, ya know? i didnt think theyd try to pull a fast one, especially after i had to teach them what a Watts link is...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

well i went to midas cuz they were the cheapest, i figured, its just getting the caliper back on, ya know? i didnt think theyd try to pull a fast one, especially after i had to teach them what a Watts link is...
Thats weird, a guy that can't get a caliper back on teaching a midas tech about a watts link? What the hell?

Next time get a taxi ride to a place that sells c-clamps or caliper piston compressors and put it back on yourself.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Thats weird, a guy that can't get a caliper back on teaching a midas tech about a watts link? What the hell?

Next time get a taxi ride to a place that sells c-clamps or caliper piston compressors and put it back on yourself.
i did use a c clamp, and that didn't work. that was why i brought it there
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 AM
TECH Resident

Midas is ******* bullshit.
they told me the same thing with my last Camaro, said the mc had a leak and my rotors were too thin to be turned. I then waited 2 days then went to my regular mechanic who told me they ******* lied, looks like they actually pulled some of the brake fluid out of the mc and poured it in strategic places to make it look like it was bad.

brake fluid was flushed, replaced, rotors turned, and it was great.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never want to insult anyone for asking a serious question if they were lacking a little knowledge.........but is this a serious question? You know what a watts link is but don't know if back pressure affects brakes? Again, no offense intended. One guy asked if it was a front or rear caliper. Just for general reference if you don't know, most vehicles with the park brake integrated into the rear caliper, have rear caliper pistons that have to be turned back in, not pushed. But if this were on a 4th gen F body then a c-clamp or big channel locks should've been fine on front or rear.

Just a couple other tips for anyone who doesn't know yet....calipers are always plumbed in pairs, whether it's both front and both rear together, or paired up cross ways front to rear. So don't push a caliper piston in if the paired up caliper is off the rotor also or you will just push the other piston out! lol.

The other thing some people don't know is that the master cylinder level drops as the pads wear. When you put new pads on and push the pistons back in, the fluid level goes back to full. There is no need to top off a master cylinder, yet every oil change joint in the country seems to love to do it. Then when you do replace your pads you either have to suck fluid out first or spill it all over when you push the piston back in.

Anyways, I hope I don't sound like a know it all lol, I just know that there are sometimes less experienced people reading even if they weren't the original poster.

Last edited by t_raven; 12-20-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im guessing this is a rear caliper

anyways, pistons are known to get stuck, it sounds like they want to steal your money

i was quoted $1000 to replace the brake lines on my other car (they exploded on my drive home from getting it inspected.. actually right when i pulled it in the driveway) i did everything myself for $60 which included buying tools, brake fluid, line,etc.

Quick Reply: Took my car to midas and now i need a whole new brake system???