Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes for 15 inch front wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes for 15 inch front wheels...

Okay... I'm sure there are countless threads on this topic... Search doesnt work anymore...

I want to know which NEW FRONT BRAKE KITS that will fit under 15 inch wheels, and are streetable.

I know that I can grind... but I have... for hours at a time, and it seems like I cant get it low enough to make it fit... so I would just rather do it right, and put new brakes on the front. I have looked at Aerospace components pro-street kit, but another thread says they arent streetable. Have .081 thick disk onthe front and backside of the disc, with venting in between.

I am looking for comparable-to-stock braking qualities... What will work?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

what wheels are you trying to fit up there? I have read on here that Greg weld fronts fit with out any grinding and pro stars and other's require a spacer.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet for using 15" wheels is stock or stock-like brakes (ie: Drilled and/or slotted OEM sized rotors, good pads and calipers). I would venture to guess this is for a drag strip application, and not a road racing/autoX application?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have stock front C4 brakes (12" rotor) that fit under the 15" wheels on my swap car (Miata). Don't know if this helps, but maybe this will work for you. Backspace of my wheels is +40mm & the inside diameter of the wheel does not hit the C4 brake caliper.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

switch to lt1 brakes...may help a little
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Batman
switch to lt1 brakes...may help a little
Those are worse then what the LS1 has, not a good recommendation.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock brakes work rather well. Changing to a skinny setup...the brakes will not be the limiting factor. The small contact tire footprint will. You could change the the most powerful brake setup and your car will stop with little difference. You'll just skid more.

Save your money, possibly upgrade to aftermarket pads or rotors at most which may help with fade. Keep in mind, when you change to aftermarket components even pads or rotors, your calipers float and will more likely create more of a challenge fitting drag wheels.

I can design our Bogart drag wheels to fit front/rear OEM brakes/calipers and rotors. We can work around other setups as well.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I have 15x3.5 (4.5 total width, 3.5 bead) prostars that I want to swap for track use, but still use my WS-6's for the street. I already tried getting them on there, but they will not go. I bought a 5/16 spacer from summit... no joy. I grinded(ground?) them for what seemed like eternity, but didnt want to remove too much metal, and used the spacers, still no good.
These are the wheels:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I put 7.5 inch tires on them. As far as tire patch... These have the exact same amount of tire patch on the ground as a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer. The lancer weighs 200 lbs more than my car, and has shittier tires... I expect that it will still stop loads better than that car...even without 315 MT ET streets out back...

Yeah, I just want to drag race this car, not professionally, just cuz I enjoy running the 1320 from time to time, (if I wanted to road race, i would buy an M-3... lol!) and some light street duty, to work and back on beautiful, cloudless, sunny days. maybe a day trip or two each month. Looking for some brakes that will fit under there, no grinding no muss, no fuss...

I was thinking maybe a wider spacer... but it seems like it would start loading alot on the studs. I bought open lug nuts, so that I could get longer studs on there, but for sanctioning, not so i can put 5/8 spacers on them!!! But I am pretty easy to persuade... as long as there are other people out there that run wider spacers on theirs, with no problems... thats the point of these forums right? I dont have a problem being a guinea pig, but I dont have the money to correct my front wheel coming off while I am cruising down the highway! Thanks for the great website by the way... I have been coming here forever... Just wish they would fix the search... it used to be great.

Last edited by jwillburn119; 01-10-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: bad grammar!!! LOL
Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Many people use the prostars with 5/16" spacer and some effort. You're probably grinding the calipers in spots you may not need to. The spacer, I wouldn't go larger, you'll be moving the already small backspace'd wheel even further out of your fender which will end up looking odd. Your studs sheer line moves too far outwards as well.

Make sure the tires are not too large, loading the 3.5" wheel with too large of a tire may create problems with premature wheel failure. It sounds like if you're tire has a footprint of 7.5", its way too large for a 3.5" wheel. If you're referring to a MT 15x7.5" tire, that is not your footprint though...that is perfectly good to use...I do recommend that tire. I don't recommend radial front runners.

If you don't like what you have currently, as mentioned, our front wheels will bolt right on your stock calipers/rotors/pads. Purchasing the wheels you have will work ...but the way you're going around it may end up costing more then just purchasing our front wheels alone which would bolt right on the car. Since you already have the wheels, you can either do what it takes to make them fit or return them and consider our wheels.

Once again, good luck! Welcome to the forum btw. You'll find this board is very informative and will give you good ideas for your car.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

lt1 front breaks and a spacer works for me.im going to take the spacer of and do some grinding though because it looks hella funny with the skinnies sticking out past the fender well
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 93_z28
lt1 front breaks and a spacer works for me.im going to take the spacer of and do some grinding though because it looks hella funny with the skinnies sticking out past the fender well
The problem with the LT1 brakes will be more with the caliper clip. Don't remove them though! LT1 brakes weigh more and have greater fade...they really are not as nice as the LS1 setup.

Not to sound like a broken record, we build our wheels car specific (LT1 and LS1 setups are slightly different). If you purchased our Bogart wheels your would have had a 2" backspace!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
The problem with the LT1 brakes will be more with the caliper clip. Don't remove them though! LT1 brakes weigh more and have greater fade...they really are not as nice as the LS1 setup.

Not to sound like a broken record, we build our wheels car specific (LT1 and LS1 setups are slightly different). If you purchased our Bogart wheels your would have had a 2" backspace!
thats good to know.i should have swapt the ls1 breaks that i had on my wrecked 98 when i had the chance

edit: i do still have the chance,i just relized that i kept the front breaks hooked up when i pulled the moter and tranny

Last edited by 93_z28; 01-10-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 93_z28
thats good to know.i should have swapt the ls1 breaks that i had on my wrecked 98 when i had the chance
That would have been a good idea. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Even though the LS1 brakes are larger diameter, the setup is overall lighter. Overall a complete win/win scenario. There's a post of someone who just discussed their swap from LT1 to LS1 brakes.

Have a great day!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Teching In

how much are your wheels... I have front and rear prostars already, i don't want mismatched wheels on my car, so that would involve buying 4 new wheels. Yes, i am running 7.5 in ETs on the front... they have a tire patch that is little less than 7.5... more like 6 and 3/4 inch... but I'm not gonna argue semantics... the difference is made up in the tire compound I am sure.

I guess this means that no one out there runs different brakes on their car than stock with 15 inch wheels... That's amazing... LOL. Guess I will keep looking...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jwillburn119
how much are your wheels... I have front and rear prostars already, i don't want mismatched wheels on my car, so that would involve buying 4 new wheels. Yes, i am running 7.5 in ETs on the front... they have a tire patch that is little less than 7.5... more like 6 and 3/4 inch... but I'm not gonna argue semantics... the difference is made up in the tire compound I am sure.

I guess this means that no one out there runs different brakes on their car than stock with 15 inch wheels... That's amazing... LOL. Guess I will keep looking...
I can offer you drag brakes. That will take care of your fitment problems. This is what you'll need to do and what others do.

You can view some choices listed in our braking section

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...0Drag%20Rotors

Our wheels, would be probably 6-800.00 more depending on your choices. Our wheels would also be the a minimum equivalence of dropping 50 static pounds from your car as well vs the wheels you currently have. They are also billet machined pieces and spun forged shells instead of stamping. Your wheels are a great economy choice, you just have to jump through some hoops to make them work. Our wheels are slightly more expensive but do offer weight and fitment advantages. They are in a completely different category design...sort of like weld's high-end wheels but generally not as expensive.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Teching In

LOL... thanks for showing me the light... If you can get me 4 wheels that look like drag lites, because my wife loves them... 15x10s in the back, and 15x3.5 or 4" in the front, with as much backspacing as possible to keep them under the fenders, and keep it under 1000 I'm in... I guess THAT's what these forums are for... words eaten...

Last edited by jwillburn119; 01-12-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

LOL... thanks for showing me the light... If you can get me 4 wheels that look like drag lites, because my wife loves them... 15x10s in the back, and 15x3.5 or 4" in the front, with as much backspacing as possible to keep them under the fenders, and keep it under 1000 I'm in... I guess THAT's what these forums are for... words eaten...
I can build you wheels that look like draglites like our Bogart Billet Lites but much higher quality regarding fit, appearance, and design. You're not going to find any type of higher end wheel that will fit your financial criteria. Greg weld has some economy wheels that fit, but do not have matching rears which will fit. Centerline has wheels that will fit easier but are even closer to the cost of our wheels and are not build specific.

Though our wheels are more expensive, they are worth it. Think of it this way, with the wheels you currently purchased, in attempt to loose more weight by purchasing a k-member for ~600.00, you still would not be at the same weight advantage as purchasing our wheels alone. In the end, you would have spent more money and more time with less benefits. A lighter wheel will provide less rotational mass, shorter 60ft times, lower stress on the drivetrain etc etc..

To boot, wheels make the car and is one of the most visible modification you can make to your car...You didn't pick a bad choice in wheel, it is a very nice economy wheel, please don't misinterpret my comments. Your selection provided you with an economy choice with fitment issues. Weld manufactures high-end wheels like alumastars for over 1500.00 for a reason...they are far superior in every way. (they are not design specific either so they have fitment issues of their own.) Our expertise is providing high-ended wheels at a fair price and build specific instead of a one-size fits most approach. Think of it as a person purchasing our Bogart products are receiving a customized product for their car.

...you could pick up something like a street/strip wheel summit/jegs under 1000.00 but they will be even heavier and worse off regarding performance benefits (isn't that the main reason why people even consider 15" wheels...it certainly isn't from a handling/braking improvement perspective).

Since you've already purchased the wheels, you can either do what it takes to make them fit or if you didn't mount the tires yet, return them and consider something as I have suggested. Obviously, I feel our wheels are the best choice from every perspective...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=SJM Manufacturing Inc;10831301]I can build you wheels that look like draglites like our Bogart Billet Lites but much higher quality regarding fit, appearance, and design. You're not going to find any type of higher end wheel

Last edited by jwillburn119; 01-12-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with you... I didnt realize that the wheels that are made out there are better as far as performance. I was under the impression that the Weld wheels were great wheels... As so many people run them. They already have tires mounted... so they cannot be returned... but I can get money out of them, I am sure. What would those 4 wheels run from Bogart? I can never find a quote for them, and am about to spend 1000 on brakes to fit my car. If I can find wheels that cover my stock brakes, that saves me 1000, plus whatever I return on the Welds... IM me a quote or something, and I will look into the idea of putting your wheels on my car. I love the look of the wheels on your site... and when I got the draglites I was disappointed by the nasty, uneven edges in the center of the wheels... it could be fixed I am sure... but that is more money still... so... just let me know. Like I said... thanks for opening my eyes... i was being serious... sorry if it sounded sarcastic...
I'm glad to help. Like mentioned, I don't want to sound like the wheels you purchased are bad. They certainly are not. Weld manufactures high-end wheels and economy wheels. The two are completely different, their high-ended product are no where near a comparison to the prostar/draglite combo. Many manufactures produce both spectrum ends of products. We have economy design wheels as well...but they do not work well for the F-body. You can choose anything from the Billet P1 section.

Prices are not listed not to hide anything, it is due to the fact that the pieces are custom made...depending on how they are built, prices vary.

I can offer you either new drag brakes and new braided lines as well as an ABS delete kit (ABS will not function with the the drag brakes)...or I can offer you new wheels without having to purchase drag brakes or alter your ABS. (ABS is more then a hindrance fwiw)

You need to calculate which will work best for you. Unfortunately you already mounted the tires...so you can't return the wheels...

I can send you a customized quote, please either call or e-mail me directly from the link below my signature. It will step you through a few items I need to know regarding the design.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Steve Im kind of in the same boat as "jwill" but I have the greg welds for upfront I just have nothing for the back, haha story of everyones life around here. Im not interested in grinding and Ive heard Bogarts are easily bent on the street and I want a wheel that can be driven around town if I would want that. Any truth to how easy Bogarts can be damaged and are any tougher than say another type, for instance the road race ones vs drag?

Quick Reply: brakes for 15 inch front wheels...