Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA, are rod ends too harsh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA, are rod ends too harsh?

Hi,

A friend of mine can make me some LCA with rod ends.
I've herd rod ends are a bit harsh and loud on the road for LCA.
I'm not into drag racing, but would like better traction on the street and through the turns.

I am tempted by a rod end PHR though, what do you think?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The rod ended lca's will articulate better than the bushing version. There is also no deflection compared to bushings so more of the power will be put to the ground instead of absorbed by the bushings. They are going to be a little noisier than the bushing versions but are not too unbearable.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About the noise.....You are worried about!

Hello,

For the street you will get a little noise with spherical bushing but they are solid...another option is you can go with the LCA's with polyurethane bushings on both ends of the control arm. And as far as a pan hard bar you could go with a Single adjustable just for future such as lowering your car. This would be used to recenter the rear end. If you have any other questions feel free to call or ask!

Thanks,
Brad
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

check this out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-dkt-lcas.html

then talk to mark at 6litereater. or pm me.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taws6
Hi,

A friend of mine can make me some LCA with rod ends.
I've herd rod ends are a bit harsh and loud on the road for LCA.
I'm not into drag racing, but would like better traction on the street and through the turns.

I am tempted by a rod end PHR though, what do you think?
Okay, I'll state the my experience directly,

rear LCA: at least one rod-end placed at the axle will remove about 92 to 95% of the overall bind and deflection of the arm. Two rod-ends will bring it to nearly zero. If noise is a concern, you should consider at least a standard poly bush at the body side, though I prefer a well designed rubber or a Johnny joint.

PHR: Due to the movement of a standard F-body PHR (non-relocated), bind is a minimal issue. Also, due to mounting location of the PHR on the body, noise is a significantly less issue with double rod-ended PHR's rather unlike rear LCA's which can and do significantly transmit noises from the road and rear axle. The majority of handling problems are due to the PHR more so than the LCA's.

From my experience with improved street performance, autocrossing, and even some open tracking, NONE of the aftermarket/homemade LCA's have improved my track times. The biggest significant upgrade to stock LCA's have been the "solid" Moog rubber replacement bushings in stock arms. I should also note that the wheelhop was no better or worse with double rod-ended arms on my car vs. stock, so even though rod-ends allow significantly less deflection and bind, wheelhop issues could be caused by something else. YMMV.

AFA the rear PHR, a double rod is more than ideal performance increase without the hassle of too much noise.

Again, a quality rod-end, spherical bearing, or bushing is essential, otherwise the mods will be mostly useless.

Since you're aiming for better traction on the street and through turns more than dedicated road course or even drag racing, my suggestion would be "solid" moog bushings for your stock arms, and a double rod-ended PHR. That would be a good baseline to improve on stock.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

With the PHB I've never really noticed a noise increase with rodends compared poly bushings.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My $0.02 worth...What "Foxxtron" says is true, but I'll add that if the roads are rough where you live, rod ended LCA will transfer a lot of shock and abuse to the car, as well as themselves, as they have very little compliance.

I like "trick parts" as much as anybody else, but the roads are pretty rough where I live, due to the abuse the winter cold gives the road surface. So, in order to be kind of "trick" yet practical, I fabbed up a pair of tubular LCAs myself. However, I made them to accomodate the Moog bushings that "Foxxtron" referred to. I have, what I consider, is the best of both worlds. A structurally strong LCA, but with a little compliance to accomodate the bad roads.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think they really add that much noise. i like mine ALOT more than the poly ones I had before. I actually think they are quieter.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you all for your replys.

My thoughts have been reinforced, and I'm thinking I'll get the rod ended PHR, and keep my 'reinforced' stock LCA with poly bushings. Not ideal, as I can see there are a couple of better options, but I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Are 'rose joints' the same as rod ends??? The description sounds the same, just never herd them called that.

Cheers

Last edited by taws6; 01-17-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Thank you all for your replys.

Are 'rose joints' the same as rod ends??? The description sounds the same, just never herd them called that.

Cheers
yes .. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for that ScrapSilicon.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

... keep my 'reinforced' stock LCA with poly bushings. Not ideal, as I can see there are a couple of better options, but I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Cheers
Yep, your 'reinforced' stock LCA's should be just fine with what you're doing with one exception. Those Poly bushings in that location do add bind, which in return add roll stiffness when cornering. Whilst this isn't a problem at this point, they can be if you decide to improve roll resistance once upgrading stabiliser bars.

The biggest culprit of poly bushings in that location is...creep (otherwise known informally as "cold-flow"). Whilst a rubber bush of a lesser durometer (for most rubber products classified in a parameter called "Hardness Shore A") does deflect more, it is elastic in nature. When undergoing loads that deform the bush, it will tend to return to it's original form at rest.

Poly doesn't because it's plastic in nature, meaning once it undergoes deformation, it tends to remain permanently deformed. Whilst this isn't noticeable at first, as they age they will develop those annoying "squeeks", and due to gaps being formed between bushing and inner sleeve will eventually lead to other noises and possibly wheel hop. In order to resist more this deformation, most poly compounds are developed with a higher durometer, which of course the tradeoff is bind. Even with this high durometer, they will eventually creep to the point of needing replacement. The only thing the grease serves for this location is to ensure that the inner sleeve can rotate freely inside the sticky poly bush, because if there isn't enough grease, then excess stiction will occur (which will then result in more squeeks).

Again, I speak this from experience.

I think for now, your poly bushes will be okay, but when it comes time to replace them, you might consider the "Moog chassis parts" 'solid' rubber replacement bushings for your rear LCA's. They're usually available world-wide in one brand label or another, but they're all pretty much the exact same part from the same factories.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure what type of weather you drive your car in but when it comes to rod ends i try not to drive on anything less than dry pavement. i ruined a set of rod ended LCAs because dirt and water eventually creeped inside of the spherical bearing and actually produced some rust like coating. dunno what UMI uses for rod ends but i didnt think they were supposed to get rusty? and to make it worse, because they got so dirty/water logged they started to freeze up and every single tiny movement of my rear suspension would result in NOISY crickety clunky clicks haha that i could actually put my hand on the floor board and feel it binding. anyways now ive made a rubber boot to cover the ends (after severely cleaning with all types of lubes) and i keep them heavily greased to try and prevent that from happening again. so end result rod ends= lots of maintenance if you plan on driving in crappy weather.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the tips guys.
I will swap the LCA bushings for 'solid' rubber replacement bushings when the time comes, and keep a good eye on them and on the rod end PHR. I dont usally drive in rough conditions, but will certainly keep check of these things. Thank you for pointing out these possable problems. I intend to keep this car, so will know what to look for if problems do occur in these areas.
Cheers.......

Quick Reply: LCA, are rod ends too harsh?