Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

IRS conversion in LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS conversion in LS1 Camaro

I am looking to get some information on what is needed as well as costs involved in swapping in an IRS rear end in my 02 Camaro. I tried doing a search but i found little that helped. I know there have been threads on this before, but maybe im just not trying the right keywords. Can anyone shed some light on this with some pics, personal experience, or write-ups to get me in the right direction.

I dont have a budget or a time table for this project. Im just doing a little homework for now. I know that IRS is less power than solid rear, but my car isnt going to be a track queen. Im really just trying to get the Camaro to handle better and perhaps have a smoother ride quality.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

For the work involved the difference in handling will be negligible. Lets keep in mind that I am not on here to talk you out of the swap, you asked a question and I'm going to help you in your quest. There are threads on here about a guy who put a C4 Corvette IRS assembly into his LT1 style Formula. There was a TON of welding and fabrication involved, and the quality of the project turned out great! Keep in mind that this guy also re-routed his exhaust to go around the IRS components (I think it went under them if I am not mistaken). Do a search and look for those pictures, I know I am fine with my solid rear. Good luck on your project.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated in your other thread, look up Watts Link from Strano. He's a sponsor here and he has said that the car is way different than before.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
For the work involved the difference in handling will be negligible. Lets keep in mind that I am not on here to talk you out of the swap, you asked a question and I'm going to help you in your quest. There are threads on here about a guy who put a C4 Corvette IRS assembly into his LT1 style Formula. There was a TON of welding and fabrication involved, and the quality of the project turned out great! Keep in mind that this guy also re-routed his exhaust to go around the IRS components (I think it went under them if I am not mistaken). Do a search and look for those pictures, I know I am fine with my solid rear. Good luck on your project.
Yeah that thread was deleted. Apparently a non-sponsor company, now anyway, did the project. The guy who owned it was named, Jay

these were the pics

Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You're right quite a bit of work was involved in the C4 IRS in Jay's 94 Formula. Someday I will put one in my car, until then here are some more pictures:

Last edited by tbird31; 03-04-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Do you know if he had abs/tcs in that car? Did he keep it working? Also do I see a rear sway bar in there? Looks like one running right behind the top of the cross member above the diff.

It's a great install, I wonder much different that car feels now.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The car did not come with traction control and we yanked the ABS during the build.

Yes that is a rear sway bar above the rear diff, custom brackets were fabricated to mount the swaybar. The car handles like an absolute dream.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an FYI, and I went into great detail in one of the other threads, I doubt that IRS will handle better than a well set up live-axle in our cars. I road race mine against Vipers, C4s, C5s, and RX-7s with V8s. Although I've cursed my shocks and torque arm before, I've never wanted to do a conversion.

About the most extreme you should want is to throw away the torque arm and try a 3-link.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Launching!

What all do you have done to your car in order ot make it handle? I have just about everything except shocks/ springs and struts. I know tires are a big issue too and right now mine are only fairly good.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
.... I have just about everything except shocks/ springs and struts.
The shocks and springs are the BIGGEST components in the equation. Things like adjustable PHBs and LCA relocation brackets are "accessory" items, allowing you to dial in, and get the most of the shock spring package.

After that, wheels and tires are big parts of the handling equation.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What all do you have done to your car in order ot make it handle? I have just about everything except shocks/ springs and struts. I know tires are a big issue too and right now mine are only fairly good.
Shocks are easily the biggest increase in handling for our cars IMO, just because the stockers are so inadequate.
List your suspension mods, I have a feeling you probably have some parts that are hurting more than helping.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

As stated, the shocks matter--LOTS. And now having accrued more time with a Watts link installed, it's amazing how much more stuck the back of the car feels, particularly on the road.... In all honesty, the difference in the way the car tracks is nothing short of an amazing change.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

I have a PHB, Trq arm, LCAs, SFCs, front and rear sway bars, and a STB. Everything has polyurithane and is non adjustable.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a PHB, Trq arm, LCAs, SFCs, front and rear sway bars, and a STB. Everything has polyurithane and is non adjustable.
What size are the swaybars? Is the torque arm full length?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Yes, here is a list of all my parts. All are from summit racing.
EDL-5204 -Edelbrock LCA's
EDL-5280 -Edelbrock Trq Arm
GRN-500001 -PHB non adjustable
HSS-2006 -Shock tower brace
PTP-7-1604-BL -Poly urithane tranny mount
SLE-70801 -SLP bolt in subframe connectors
STQ-52080 -Front 1 3/8 in. /Rear 1 in. sway bars.

Last edited by Black02LS1; 04-10-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Quoting part numbers isn't very helpful, it just means anyone willing to help has to chase down the specifics about what you have.....

All poly LCA's bind the axle in roll, they are best for drag only, we do not use them for the best handling. If you're rear swaybar is a 1" unit (and yours is), it's too much IMO and makes the rear of the car stiffer, and worse over bumps too. Lousy shocks makes the car bad over bumps.

I've seen enough to know why you think you need an IRS, because from what I see you've done about everything right to make a solid axle car act like an empty 1-ton pick-up truck.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LCA's with poly bushings at both ends are hurting you.

Also, just adding aftermarket sways is not necessarily helping much. Different isn't always better. (I'm not looking up all those part numbers to see what they are)

But as was said, by far, the BIGGEST improvement will come from shocks.

When you're ready to buy, you'll be well served to call Strano. He won't sell you something you don't need, and his prices are very fair.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Quoting part numbers isn't very helpful, it just means anyone willing to help has to chase down the specifics about what you have.....

All poly LCA's bind the axle in roll, they are best for drag only, we do not use them for the best handling. If you're rear swaybar is a 1" unit (and yours is), it's too much IMO and makes the rear of the car stiffer, and worse over bumps too. Lousy shocks makes the car bad over bumps.

I've seen enough to know why you think you need an IRS, because from what I see you've done about everything right to make a solid axle car act like an empty 1-ton pick-up truck.
Ok, ive added what all those part numbers are. But wow you are quite correct on that. My car's *** end always gets loose like there is no weight back there.

I just watched your SCCA wins on youtube. Damn thats nice.

Last edited by Black02LS1; 04-10-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: IRS conversion in LS1 Camaro