Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Edelbrock Hollow Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Hollow Sway Bars

Anybody running them? How do they fit and handle?
Tks
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The rear bar is too big @ 1". And it's not hollow.

Still the only two hollow sets are Strano (me) and Hotchkis. I sell Hotchkis, I also sell Edelbrock. I think my bars are superior because they were built and speced, and used and proven to win SCCA National Championships. A 1" rear bar is 25.4mm, I use a 22mm bar. If I felt a 1" rear bar was right, I'd never have had bars done to my spec--there wouldn't have been a reason since I sell the other's products already.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Teching In

O.k. So why is a 22mm bar prefered over a 25.4 bar? Championships are nice but they don't validate the reason for a 3.4 mm difference. Please explain in technical terms.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The rear bar is too big @ 1". And it's not hollow.

Still the only two hollow sets are Strano (me) and Hotchkis. I sell Hotchkis, I also sell Edelbrock. I think my bars are superior because they were built and speced, and used and proven to win SCCA National Championships. A 1" rear bar is 25.4mm, I use a 22mm bar. If I felt a 1" rear bar was right, I'd never have had bars done to my spec--there wouldn't have been a reason since I sell the other's products already.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Because a larger rear bar would induce oversteer. What you are trying to get when modifying things like this is a neutral feel to the car ie: the car doesn't push or slide through the corner but just grips. Typically when it comes to suspension setups for handling the best thing you can do is give Strano a call. He will do a damn fine job of explaining everything. His prices haven't been bad either.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the explination. Sounds like he was trying to convey that 22mm was the correct equilibrium you described. I am not a fan of the "because I said so" product justification. Sam's prices are terrific and probably the way I will head.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

t_punk explained it fine. However, the fact that what I do has won championships in a handling arena shows that they do what they are intended to and do it well. Maybe the question should have been why are they choosing to run 3.4mm larger and a heavier solid bar?

My justification for what I do it after much testing the sizing/stiffness of the bar works for balance to my liking, and why drag a heavier bar around and add to unsprung weight. What's their justification?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

what sixe is the hotchkis stuff? and does the 3.4mm help with launching the car?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bigger rear bar will help for launching if you are are having traction problems.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
A bigger rear bar will help for launching if you are are having traction problems.
Yup, a larger rear bar does help off the line. However a 22mm or 21mm rear bar might be all you need. Also you need to decide where your priorities lie, handling or straight line. The suspension is quite a bit different for the two. I tend to recommend improved handling to those with car that are mainly for street use simply because it's safer.