Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Abs inop light

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs inop light

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have recently noticed my ABS INOP light coming on and staying on even after I reset the system. 1. how can I trouble shoot it. 2. Is it the abs sensors? 3. Is it the abs module. 4.Is there a write up on it. I appreciate any help on this.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went through this issue. And I researched it for months.

There are multiple causes.

The first thing you need to do is have the car scanned. Any parts store should be able to scan the car and tell you what DTC.

Have you done any modification to the rearend?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

check the brake lights, especially the third brake light
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ATLSS
I went through this issue. And I researched it for months.

There are multiple causes.

The first thing you need to do is have the car scanned. Any parts store should be able to scan the car and tell you what DTC.

Have you done any modification to the rearend?
I have not done any rearend work to the car. I ran my diablo through it and it did not come up with anything, was not sure if my tuner would thought I try though. Ill run by the autoparts store see if it comes up with anything.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1redta
check the brake lights, especially the third brake light
What? Why? How does that affect it? please explain.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

third brake light runs off of the same circuit of wiring and a single bulb going out will cause ABS lights to come on
Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nemss1
third brake light runs off of the same circuit of wiring and a single bulb going out will cause ABS lights to come on
Is it the ABS or the light that's on the same circuit? If its the ABS and it causes the ABS to not work that's kinda bad.....
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nemss1
why would the third brake light be running on the same circuit as the instrument cluster or vice versa. wouldnt all the lights be on if that was the case.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

thank you to those who have chimed in so far. I did not think that this was that tough of a question with all the techs on this site I thought someone would have helped me out by now.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nemo02Z
thank you to those who have chimed in so far. I did not think that this was that tough of a question with all the techs on this site I thought someone would have helped me out by now.
I tried to tell you that this is no 1 answer.

YOU have to do the research. There are answers here if you do a search. This topic has been discussed many time before.

Did you have the car scanned yet? If so, what code is being thrown? I told you to start there.

I'm trying to help you help yourself.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I tried to tell you that this is no 1 answer.

YOU have to do the research. There are answers here if you do a search. This topic has been discussed many time before.

Did you have the car scanned yet? If so, what code is being thrown? I told you to start there.

I'm trying to help you help yourself.
Look girl no need to get sassy with me. this is a discussion board is it not. I am trying to get as much info as i possibly can, so I can do an accurate search. Telling me there is noone answer is not a great deal of info to go on. When I get off of work today I will go by the parts store and see whats up with that.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's already been mentioned....but when the ABS Inop light came on in my 94 Z it was because of the brake light in the spoiler. Cruise control also quit working when it was burned out. I replaced the bulbs and the ABS light went off and cruise worked again. So....argue the logic all you want, but it fixed my car's issues.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
It's already been mentioned....but when the ABS Inop light came on in my 94 Z it was because of the brake light in the spoiler. Cruise control also quit working when it was burned out. I replaced the bulbs and the ABS light went off and cruise worked again. So....argue the logic all you want, but it fixed my car's issues.
I said thank you but it did not work for me
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look girl no need to get sassy with me. this is a discussion board is it not. I am trying to get as much info as i possibly can, so I can do an accurate search. Telling me there is noone answer is not a great deal of info to go on. When I get off of work today I will go by the parts store and see whats up with that.
You're part of the "other people" on this forum....

Some people you can help... and the other people you waste your time trying to help...

Good luck fixing your problem on your own.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Just cover it up with a Sharpie, that should fix it.

Ok, I'm no help. Hell, I don't even have ABS.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

You're part of the "other people" on this forum....

Some people you can help... and the other people you waste your time trying to help...

Good luck fixing your problem on your own.
WTF look who are you. Your just as much as nobody as I am, jerk off. I want help but you have me wasting time talking to you. If you have no idea how to help just say so. I went to the damn autoparts store and just like i said earlier its an ABS problem not an engine problem so they can not help. so once again you gave me bad advice. What do you mean by "other people" I can fix this, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If you have no productive information to give send it to the ******* in the quote above. I need members with personal experience or knowledgeable people to help me.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF look who are you. Your just as much as nobody as I am, jerk off. I want help but you have me wasting time talking to you. If you have no idea how to help just say so. I went to the damn autoparts store and just like i said earlier its an ABS problem not an engine problem so they can not help. so once again you gave me bad advice. What do you mean by "other people" I can fix this, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If you have no productive information to give send it to the ******* in the quote above. I need members with personal experience or knowledgeable people to help me.
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code

A scanner can provide you with a code that can help diagnose the problem. What do you think GM uses to tell what's wrong?

I can help you if you'll take your head out of your ***.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code

A scanner can provide you with a code that can help diagnose the problem. What do you think GM uses to tell what's wrong?

I can help you if you'll take your head out of your ***.
That is enough out of you! Go to the corner and put your nose in it... Your on a time out! Go away! I never though I would meet someone online that I could not work with? Thanks for all your input....
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never though I would meet someone online that I could not work with?