Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Big Brake Upgrade for Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Upgrade for Firebird?

Ok, I searched the forums and I can't find anything on a big brake upgrade like a Wilwood or Brembo kit. I found some Wilwood Dynalite calipers in Summit Racing for only $125 each, and I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a mounting bracket that I could use to install these. Also will these calipers improve my braking or are the stock calipers good enough. I guess I really just like the cosmetics rather than the braking, but is it too much to ask for both! I have a 2000 Firebird and just use it a daily driver and occasionally race friends. I am trying to stay as cheap as possible, but i think that the kits these companies offer are way too expensive. Let me know
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Here is the page with the calipers on it, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-04-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pemberton
I am trying to stay as cheap as possible, but i think that the kits these companies offer are way too expensive. Let me know
Cheap doesn't go with a big brake kit. They are expensive, because they are engineered with a purpose...racing. The fact that they "look good" is actually a biproduct.

Brembo, Stoptech, Wilwood, Movit, Prostop, and Prospeed are a few companies that sell excellent kits. But, most of them use Brembo 4 pot calipers and two piece rotors, so expect 2k+ price tags.

A C5 upgrade is fairly inexpensive, and pretty much bolt on.
The CTS-V setup will work with the right set of wheels.
As will the C6 Z06 setup.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

SSBC looks cool, but when I looked I could not find a lot about them.

but good brakes is going to cost you money!!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

i want to find some smaller ceramic rotors so i can do the ZR1 mod to my brakes.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

for a basic daily driver....no need to spend crazy money on the brakes.

brembo blanks, or ATE slotted rotors....and a set of hawk HPS pads

it will surprise you the difference
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Right the stock brakes can work wonders with good pads, rotors, and fluid.

For a big brake kit I think the C5 corvete brake kits are probably the most common and cheapest of the options
Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Launching!

I just really want to thank you guys for helping me out, especially since I'm new to the forums. But when I go to Wilwood's website and find my car it says they have two available kits. The link is here, and they are only about $800 through Summit Racing. Around the same as the C5 upgrade.

http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Infor...rebird9302.asp

Does anybody have these installed, pics would be nice if anybody has em, and how much better are they than the stock.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

hey bud idk what your plans are with your brake upgrade, road racing or long nice drives on a really fun road but make sure you get stainless brakelines as well to help eliminate brake fade along with a good brake fluid like wilwood has some good stuff. the brake lines you can get on ebay for 100-150 for a set of 4 good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Yeah I was planning to get the kit and they come with em. But I wish somebody else had these installed so i could see if they liked them.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I upgraded my brakes way back when with the steel lines, pads, and rotors - nice result.

I replaced the fronts in my car with the Baer "Track" kit, which has the 13" C4 ZR1 rotors and calipers... The result is braking like a Corvette, not a Camaro - worth every penny and then some!

Summit and Jegs do not sell that type of kit, you have to go direct or to a high end shop like LG or Lingenfelter.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Wow, those are some expensive brakes!!! Around $1800 buck! Now what is the difference between a kit like the Bear Track Kit (13" rotors and 2 piston calipers), and the Wilwood Dynalite kit I was looking at (11.75" rotor and 2 piston calipers) and only $800. Why the big difference in price? Just for 2.25" more rotor? Both come with steel brake lines.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Launching!

The reason I'm wanting do put so much emphasis on the brakes is because now I need them and towards the end of this summer me and my dad plan on dropping a LS7 in it. We got a great deal from a salvage car off a buddy.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Launching!

With all that extra weight and power I think the brakes are a must.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pemberton
With all that extra weight and power I think the brakes are a must.
Brakes are a must, I heartily agree, especially when stopping an LS7 equipped f-body.

Great braking equates to how much surface area the pads have to grip on to, as well as the type of brake pads you are using AND the type of brake fluid you are using AND what type of tires you are using.

if you want to go cheap, then that's what you're going to get, cheap.
Spend some time to learn all about how brakes work, about surface area for the brakes you are wanting to get, how heavy they are compared to the factory brake setup, all that stuff.

you can ask a lot of folks here what their opinion is, and guess what??? You're gonna get their opinion...Doesn't mean it will work for your application, but it worked for their application as well as their budget.

Lots of folks say that the factory LS1 f-body brakes are just fine if you choose great pads and rotors and tires...great tires are a MUST if you want your GREAT brakes to work.

Some folks choose the C5 front brake conversion, marginally better because the calipers are torsionally stiffer than the LS1 front brakes, so stopping power is increased...By how much, don't know, haven't seen any evidence showing what the difference is on paper but folks will swear on their mother's grave that they're stopping better.

Some folks do the C6 front brake conversion, I'd say the same as the C5 front brake conversion.

The Baer setup is basically a beefed up C4 front caliper assembly on 2-pc drilled/slotted rotors, rotors are bigger than our factory front rotors so technically there's more pad surface area to grab, also the 2-pc rotors are lighter, which also equates to better stopping power as there is less rotating mass, does that make sense?

The negative side to this is SUPERIOR braking does not equate to drilled/slotted rotors. others can chime in on this but in essence with drilled rotors you're taking away surface area from the brake pads AND you will get stress cracks on the rotors if you use the brakes aggressively, NOT GOOD.

F-1 & NASCAR and Indy cars all have solid rotors, that says something.

Wilwood has 2 types of calipers, Dynalite 4-piston and Superlite 6-piston calipers, both billet aluminum, some places like revolutionbrake.com as well as Wilwood can offer a conversion kit that comes with 2-pc 13" rotors, which again equates to more surface area and the calipers are pretty ******* beefy.
You can ask for 2-pc solid rotors, or slotted or x-drilled/slotted, but I'd go for solids.
Again, more surface area, torsionally stiffer, less rotating mass(about 25lbs less than factory.), and you'll be spending about $2500.00 bucks for the fronts only, but that's okay too as our cars use the fronts a LOT more than the backs as our weight distribution is what, 58-42 or 59-41?

NASCAR uses Wilwoods as well as APRacing, more on the latter ones later.

I'd say Wilwoods and Baer and SSBC are around the same performance.

Then you have the more expensive, Brembo's and APRacing, and Porsche brake conversions but now we're talking about EXTREME braking, you'll have to get rid of the ABS and put in one of those, what are those things called, where you can adjust the front to rear braking and adjust your braking to fit your car.

I know, lots of info, but hey, it's better to be informed.

Now, all the above as far as I'm concerned is for a car that is a handler/corner carver/auto-crosser, NOT a drag racer.

And really, the Brembo's & APRacing & Porsche brake options are for those folks who are going to make their f-bodies into road racers and are planning on consistently hitting the brakes from 175 to 20 in 2 seconds to make a turn, or for someone who doesn't have money as an obstacle and who wants a car that'll cause your guts to come out of your mouth when you slam on the brakes, it's all relative to what you want to do...

my .02
Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

First upgrade should be EBC yellows for a street car. Next upgrade would be GTO or Corvette calipers.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Teching In

I'll be developing a 4 piston F-Body big brake kit very soon. 4-piston Wilwood Forged Superlite calipers and 13" Corvette rotors. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Wow thanks Carlos that was a mouthful. I do think that I am going to go with the 4 piston Dynalite. I want to fix my mistake earlier I said they were 2 piston. I still don't get how the Baer brake are soo much more expensive. Brembo and all the other really expensive brakes are 6 piston but companies are just being a bitch on the prices.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Also Black98Fivespeed let me know when you get the Dynalites in. We need pics!!! I will also get pics eventually when I get mine. I gotta get the cash first. Birthday is comin up tho.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3400lb car
stock 12" Autozone blanks
C5 calipers
Carbotech XP10/Xp8 pads
No cooling ducts
Castrol SRF fluid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-ILKGNH7k

Big brakes not needed.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Upgrade for Firebird?