Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A little help plz, wandering

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little help plz, wandering

I've taken notice that my WS6 likes to wander a bit. It only does it slightly and not all the time while I'm driving at normal speeds, but when it does, it will just barely move to one side or the other. It never is consistent with which side it moves to. The biggest issue is that while braking, this effect increases dramatically. The car wants to pull to one side or the other, and sometimes all in the same braking action. My fiance drove my car and had both hands on the wheel while braking, afraid that it would get away from her.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea? I wonder if something loose in the front end would cause this sort of behavior? I would suspect a calipur hanging up, but it go on both directions and not always. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your front end parts, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, ect. Something seems to be worn out or loose and causing your problem.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:

I finally got to check out the front end. When I wiggle the wheel back and forth, the steering rack is actually clunking. Has anyone else had experience with this? Do I need to replace the whole rack and pinion or can I just get a certain piece of it? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can someone please tell me something about this? Could that really be the problem? Maybe someone can check theirs to see if it does the same thing. I wiggled the wheel back and forth when the car was off with the ignition on, so it was just to the point where it gave a lot of resistance. I just don't want to buy a $250 rack and pinion if that's not the problem. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
UPDATE:

I finally got to check out the front end. When I wiggle the wheel back and forth, the steering rack is actually clunking. Has anyone else had experience with this? Do I need to replace the whole rack and pinion or can I just get a certain piece of it? Thanks.
The whole rack itself is moving or the internal parts?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

The internal parts. The rack itself appeared to be mounted securely still.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sounds like it might be the inner tie rods, they can be replaced but requires special tools to get them off. It might be a few more dollars and less headache to just replace the whole rack.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

That clunking sound is atypical, right? Would a failing rack do what I described?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well here's an update to this issue. I changed the rack & pinion unit and outer tie rods and got an alignment. It helped it some I think, but it still does it some. I think the next step may be to get new tires, since these are fairly warn. I noticed the left front is rounded a little on the inside edge. Any comments? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Digging up an old thread here... Did you ever figure this out? I was wondering because mine is doing the same thing, mostly after I just balanced and rotated the tires. ( I also put on LCA relocation brackets at the same time but I dont think that would do it) So tires could be an issue. I want to start replacing ball joints, tie rods etc to try and fix it but want to know before I start dropping a lot of cash.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't figure it all out. I just put the car away for the winter, but I'm replacing the front tires in the spring anyway, so I'll find out for sure if that's it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this wandering, is it due to the width of the tires- "tramlining"? my SS has done it from the day I got it- I think some tires will do it more than others but wide tires are more prone. Any chance of a ride in another WS6 to see any difference?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good thought, but no chance of riding in another WS6 right now. My only friend who owned one sold it this past summer. I have a friend with a Z28 but it has small fronts and drag suspension, so it's not even similar. I didn't notice it as much that I remember when I first got the car. I'll post on this again in the spring when I put new rubber on it if I remember. I'm also putting new brakes on it too. FYI if anyone is looking, don't buy EBC Greenstuff pads for this car. They worked well for most things, but at high speeds (like drag racing or passing speed) they glaze over when you first get on them and take a second to work. Scary when going fast. I think the Redstuff pads will be better.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree that wide tires do cause wandering, but I noticed it after I rotated my tires. I'm hoping they will just "wear in" to the new pattern or something, it's only been a week so we'll see.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Wind, tramlining, bad tires could all cause what you are describing. The fact that it changed when you rotated tires means it's probably the tires.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tires appear to be in good shape, no uneven wear, good tread, no bubbles or other blemishes. I'm wondering if excess castor could be the cause. Mine is lowered so it has more castor than is desirable, +5.2DS +5.6PS I know that too little castor, such as on lifted trucks can cause a similar issue only worse (death wobble) this of course isnt that bad.