Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tire Wear w/ Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Wear w/ Lowering

Are you guys experiencing excess tire wear or issues from lowering?

I have an 02 WS6 on F1s w/ 30K on them (3rd set; car has 95K on it) and they are wearing wonderfully (lots of highway miles). I'm looking at doing the Strano springs but don't want to have any tire wear issues. If I go back w/ stock alignment settings after lowering I shouldn't have any tire wear issues...correct?

Anyone have the stock alignment specs by chance?

Will lowering cause any other issues w/ pinion angle etc.? I figure I will need an adj. panhard to re-center the rearend but what about a torque arm? I want to know how much I am biting off in extra parts before committing to this. I'll probably be going w/ the Koni 4/4s as well.

Thanks,
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Teching In

You may need LCA relocation brackets once you lower the car
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

interested to. why would i need lca brackets
Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pwterz28
interested to. why would i need lca brackets
The idea for those is to reset the geometry of the control arms that gets knocked out when you lower the car which some report causes traction problems.

Anyone have experience w/ tire wear?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you have to get it aligned anyway. Other than that, every car is different. Get it aligned and see how good it will get. There are other parts you might need to help you get more adjustment out of certain parameters, but we can't tell you offhand.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

I would add LCA relocation brackets,adj panhard,adj TA,at 1 3/4 lowerd and OE specs I get great milage
Johnny
Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Launching!

i just ordered some lcas and lowering springs and relocation brackets... so i know what they do and i know what a TA does... kinda.. lol.. so wat exactly does a panhard bar do? Sorry for the highjack.. lol
Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

after lowering the stock panhard bar will push the rear wheels off center from the center of the body, with an adj panhard bar you are able to recenter the rear under the body
Johnny
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A few suggestions for you!

Originally Posted by JoshuaCole67
i just ordered some lcas and lowering springs and relocation brackets... so i know what they do and i know what a TA does... kinda.. lol.. so wat exactly does a panhard bar do? Sorry for the highjack.. lol
Hello
A Torque arm allows you to adjust your pinion angle of the rear end. What we have experienced is -2 is a good setting. And when it comes too a pan hard bar I would suggest an adjustable pan hard bar to allow you to recenter the rear end. Below are a few links to show you what we have to offer.
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=130
If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Take it easy!
Brad
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
A Torque arm allows you to adjust your pinion angle of the rear end. What we have experienced is -2 is a good setting. And when it comes too a pan hard bar I would suggest an adjustable pan hard bar to allow you to recenter the rear end. Below are a few links to show you what we have to offer.
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=130
If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Take it easy!
Brad
Hey Brad,

What are the consequences of lowering and not adjusting the pinion angle? I'd be going with the Strano springs if that gives you an idea of how much lower its going. Basically what i'm looking at is if I lower the car is the change in pinion angle going to tear up my transmission,driveshaft,rearend or am I looking at traction, binding, or other issues. Car is just a DD w/ occasional spirited runs.

Thanks