Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PHB Relocation kit from Jegs??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PHB Relocation kit from Jegs??

Anybody ever use this kit? It's the only one I've seen like this. I've notice my rear end is squirrely at high speeds 70 + mph not while cornering but going straight and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the angle of my PHB. Thoughts & Opinions?

My PHB Angle

Jegs Relocation kit

Installed on a car
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not one of the experts here, but I can't see what benefit this would have. The PHB is going to do the same thing either way. What I can see this bracket doing is similar to having an adjustable PHB, because the holes in the bracket are drilled at a straight line whereas the PHB will move along the bracket in an arc. So I'd say it's either:

1) A gimmick
2) A poor man's adjustable PHB?
3) for looks, maybe? Maybe they think some people just don't like the look of an angled PHB?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually the ideal PHR position at ride height is parallel/level with the ground. When deviating from that position the deficiencies of the PHR are exaggerated. i.e. roll center height change, weight jacking, etc... There's a ton of info in the Watt's link thread about the deficiencies of the PHR.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

so this just bolts on? i have the same set-up as you smokedoutz28.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just checked their website and couldnt find it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

With just one bolt to hold it, no, it wouldn't be a bolt on. It could too easily pivot around that bolt.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Actually the ideal PHR position at ride height is parallel/level with the ground. When deviating from that position the deficiencies of the PHR are exaggerated. i.e. roll center height change, weight jacking, etc...
Agreed!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Actually the ideal PHR position at ride height is parallel/level with the ground. When deviating from that position the deficiencies of the PHR are exaggerated. i.e. roll center height change, weight jacking, etc... There's a ton of info in the Watt's link thread about the deficiencies of the PHR.
So do you think that angle could be the cause of why my *** end feels weird at higher speeds? I never notice that before and the only thing that changed since the last time I drove the car over 70 would be the S60, PHB & Relocation kit.

Originally Posted by puggerton03
i just checked their website and couldnt find it.
Heres the link I recieved, it looks like it's welded in but Not sure didn't want to spend the money if I don't need too.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/754011/10002/-1
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't see your setup mentioned here or in your sig. Indulge me while I go over the basics.
Looks like you have drag radials, not known for their confidence inspiring stability at higher speeds. If you are running less than normal pressure, this will make it worse. What tires and pressure are you running?
Given the age of these cars, the rear springs have probably gotten soft and sag, this could be the culprit or a contributor also. If you run drag springs, this is most certainly the case.
What shocks do you have, front and rear? Stock or drag shock SUCK for stability, handling (which is high speed driving) and general confidence. If you have stockers, that is your problem, replace them. If you have drag shocks, that's also your problem and you'll have to decide if better weight transfer is worth the loose, sloppy freeway driving.
What is the rest of your setup? Springs? Sway bars? Bushings? Miles on the car? What's been replaced?
When I installed my PHB, the *** end certainly felt tighter. Noticeable but not dramatic. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt the PHB angle is the root cause of a loose, sloppy *** end. Prison time could be... jk, couldn't resist.

We need to know ALL these basics before we can really help but I am betting the main problem is not the PHB at all. My first three items are most likely.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think im going to order one of these. because i have the panhard relocation kit and im about to lower the car with some strano springs. so the panhard bar should be flat when its sitting on the ground? no angle at all for best handling? thanks for any help.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When running the panhard bar relocation kit it will change the angle of the panhard bar. The panhard bar is designed to run parallel with the vehicle. This bracket is a good idea and I recommend it when running the relocation kit... however it is a weld in only bracket and I do not suggest using it bolted in place.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I don't see your setup mentioned here or in your sig. Indulge me while I go over the basics.
Looks like you have drag radials, not known for their confidence inspiring stability at higher speeds. If you are running less than normal pressure, this will make it worse. What tires and pressure are you running?
Given the age of these cars, the rear springs have probably gotten soft and sag, this could be the culprit or a contributor also. If you run drag springs, this is most certainly the case.
What shocks do you have, front and rear? Stock or drag shock SUCK for stability, handling (which is high speed driving) and general confidence. If you have stockers, that is your problem, replace them. If you have drag shocks, that's also your problem and you'll have to decide if better weight transfer is worth the loose, sloppy freeway driving.
What is the rest of your setup? Springs? Sway bars? Bushings? Miles on the car? What's been replaced?
When I installed my PHB, the *** end certainly felt tighter. Noticeable but not dramatic. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt the PHB angle is the root cause of a loose, sloppy *** end. Prison time could be... jk, couldn't resist.

We need to know ALL these basics before we can really help but I am betting the main problem is not the PHB at all. My first three items are most likely.
Tires - Nitto Drags (Rear)
Tire pressure - 26psi cold, 32 warm
Wheels - Custom TT2's 17x12
Springs - Stock LT1 Front & Rear no issue with those in the past
Shocks - QA1 Coil overs front, Bilstein Rears(sp)
Sway bar - Both front & Rear Stock Sway bar W/ end links provided by Strange
Rear Suspension - UMI LCA, UMI PHB & UPHB, UMI Brackets, Stock Tq Arm
Bushings - Poly except for one end of the lca and that has a rod end.

Car has about 71k on it, suspension is All new except for the Rear LCA, Rear end has 250 miles on it at best. Like I Said this only started after swapping in the rear end at which point the only items added was the UPHB, PHB, Strange Poly end link to the install, Nothing else was changed everything was ran with my 10 bolt I just replaced it so it was all new that way i could have a accurate account on mileage & wear.

It feels like a wheel is wobbling and about to fall off or someone is pushing the car left & right it doesn't feel like that way around corners or @ 60 mph when I hit 70 maybe 80 it feels that way.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
When running the panhard bar relocation kit it will change the angle of the panhard bar. The panhard bar is designed to run parallel with the vehicle. This bracket is a good idea and I recommend it when running the relocation kit... however it is a weld in only bracket and I do not suggest using it bolted in place.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Thanks ryan for the reply, my options are put the stock stuff back and see if that helps or try that bracket. Once I talk to my exhaust guy we will see which way he wants to run my duals out the back and if it's not over the top then it will most likely go back to stock level with the ADJ PHB.

You guys should make a UPH that is stronger then stock and retains same location as the stock one so it serves dual purpose of being stronger & Looking good at the same time.

BTW: It was nice meeting your crew @ Speed Inc Saturday The Prices Were Great!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Man, two things pop to mind:
1. I don't run DRs but 26 PSI seems low, which would explain or contribute. Is that the recommended pressure for the street?
2. You probably know this but the 12 bolt is significantly heavier. More unsprung weight is going to affect how the back of the car behaves a lot! Are those Bilsteins on the rear new? If so, there are a couple of variations in valving. Some may not have the damping you'd like for the heavier rear. If you got them from Strano, he can guide you.

If you've got a buddy with a set of 17x11/315s (street tires) you could pop those on and at least rule it out. Are those rear springs original 12 year old units?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Man, two things pop to mind:
1. I don't run DRs but 26 PSI seems low, which would explain or contribute. Is that the recommended pressure for the street?
2. You probably know this but the 12 bolt is significantly heavier. More unsprung weight is going to affect how the back of the car behaves a lot! Are those Bilsteins on the rear new? If so, there are a couple of variations in valving. Some may not have the damping you'd like for the heavier rear. If you got them from Strano, he can guide you.

If you've got a buddy with a set of 17x11/315s (street tires) you could pop those on and at least rule it out. Are those rear springs original 12 year old units?
26 cold gets me 32-33 hot which is where I like them so they don't wear unevenly.... 32-35 i believe is recommended.

The springs are the 12 year old springs but again have been used in the past with no issues so I can't see the springs causing this.

The Shocks are new & the S60 is heavier i know that but I also know cars with a S60 and stock springs & shocks with 60-70k that don't have this same issue. As much as I would like to put on any set of 17x11 wheels I cannot, They need a custom backspacing because of the narrowed rear end. What I will do is return the PHB back to stock and see how that works out (Cheapest solution for now).
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

let us know if going back to stock helped your problem.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Anyone has the part# of this? I cant find it on the Jegs website.
nvm got it:
Jegster #550-41055

Last edited by Spike-Z; 08-06-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Found it

Quick Reply: PHB Relocation kit from Jegs??