Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Handling packages?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR Handling packages?

I am looking to improve the handling of the T/A so I have been looking at spring/shock combinations. I am wondering if anyone has the "Level 2" Handling package from BMR? It pretty much has everything includd that I want to install, but I am wondering about quality of the products. Are the Tokico HP Series shocks/struts any good? And what are the spring rates? From the picture they look like they might be progressive... Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, the Tokico hp series are a good shock. They are not adjustable but the increased high speed dampning and work well with our springs. Our front springs are linear and have a rate of 550lbs the rears are a dual rate with 160lb rating. Give me a call here at the office if you have any questions.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you can fork up the coin, I would highly recommend this:

use a search for koni and you will see how much everyone loves them, they are worth the money and one of the best mods on my car IMO.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=21&ModelID=8

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=19&ModelID=8

then get either a BMR or UMI adjustable pan hard bar.

if you want to go further than that call sam strano and talk to him about what you want out of the car, what you expect and he will point you in the right direction. You might also want to try koni on stock springs, a lot of people love that setup
Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I am also wanting a lower stance, so I want to get away from the stock springs. I have seen that a lot of people have the Strano/Koni setup. The thing about the BMR package that catches my eye is that it has everything i want, except for LCA's and torque arm. The car wont be a track car really. Just occasional AutoX is possible.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Research, research, research.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve8S
I am also wanting a lower stance, so I want to get away from the stock springs. I have seen that a lot of people have the Strano/Koni setup. The thing about the BMR package that catches my eye is that it has everything i want, except for LCA's and torque arm. The car wont be a track car really. Just occasional AutoX is possible.
Packages aren't going to really help you. Find out what you want from the car and pick parts accordingly. Sam can sell you every part in these packages as well as the Konis and springs if you want to go that way. Just because its in a package doesn't mean its going to work as well as hand picking your parts for your needs.

EDIT: They also say in that package they include front "struts". These cars don't have struts.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

All I'm saying is research, research, research. I agree that pre-mix packages are like option packages on cars--easy to sell. I don't think they are necessarily correct for any particular person. Many of the parts might be, doesn't mean you need all, or get all the parts you do require for a use in any particular package.

I'm not saying anything else because it'll turn into a thing with BMR and that's not my intent. This is a forum to educate (or flame depending on the day). I'm just saying that every part has a job, and has to work hand in hand with other parts and that researching which parts do what, as well as what change you are trying to effect, are good things to know when making a purchase.

Asking if a kit, ANY kit including anything I do is "good" based on internet knowledge isnt' any less silly than buying a Civic based on recommendations when your heart is really more into pony-cars.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not a problem Sam your input is always appreciated and i have the utmost respect for you.

Steve8S, if you do decide to go with BMR i can also make you a custom package of the parts that you want instead of the ones we have pre- packedged. The purpose of the packages is to combine parts that work well together and also to be able to give you a discount. If you do decide on a custom package i will give you our package discount. Call me if you have any questions.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 07-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can lower your car on stock springs with Koni Shocks and hose mod, this only gives about a 3/4" lowering but lets you keep stock softer rates. Just an option.

I agree though, research is the way to go. You will find that there is no substitute for good dampers, and that is the absolute first thing you should look at. LCAs are not hard to install either, I would replace the shocks (and springs if you want) at the same time (with an ADJ. PHB to re-center the rear end) and then if you want more go from there. Again, you may find that you don't need all the parts you thought you did, and if you decide you do need them it easy to swing back and pick them up later.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Not a problem Sam your input is always appreciated and i have the utmost respect for you.

Steve8S, if you do decide to go with BMR i can also make you a custom package of the parts that you want instead of the ones we have pre- packedged. The purpose of the packages is to combine parts that work well together and also to be able to give you a discount. If you do decide on a custom package i will give you our package discount. Call me if you have any questions.
Just wanted to say we also appreciate your time and input on these forums. Competition is a great thing!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Things you need to worry about above all else (assuming everything else is in fine working condition and not broken): shocks shocks shocks!
One of my favorite things about my car was back when I was on otherwise stock suspension with just Koni 4/3s and would give other car guys a ride (mostly other fbody owners) and they would be flipping out asking "HOLY #$%& WTF did you do to this thing to get it to handle like this!!!????" And I would just grin and say "oh, just shocks". They wouldn't believe me, thinking I had some kind of chassis mods and race suspension until they looked under the car. It wasn't just the all out grip that was impressive, it was the way the car behaved in corners, extremely neutral and begged to be pushed harder. I could fly into a corner tires roaring and stay neutral the whole time, and if the car stepped out of line it did so very slowly in a controlled manner and could be corrected with a flick of the wrist.
I wouldn't bother with packages, do one thing at a time and work up from there changing what you see fit next. That way you will know how each piece contributes to the cars handling/ride and can make adjustments or replacements as you like.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Im not trying to come across as boastful or an a$$, but I am not completely ignorant when it comes to suspension. Most of the replies, which i appreciate very much, are written as though I am at a complete lack of knowledge. I have/do drive and set up race cars, from SCCA GTA to Dirt Late Models. I know what parts do what and how they affect handling. My original question was asking about the quality of the pieces in the BMR handling package. My main concerns were the spring/shock combination. I have never built a street car before, so I do not know what is good or not. If I had it my way there would be Ohlins or Penske double adjustable gas pressure shocks with Hypercoil springs lol. I really just want an affordable fun set up for my daily driven street car. The car flexes and rolls too much. I understand shocks do wonders, believe me, but I am looking to just do everything I want all at one time. Not gradually over a few years. I am sorry if this has come across d1ckish, that is not at all how it is meant. Thank you everyone for your feedback and answers.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not trying to come across as boastful or an a$$, but I am not completely ignorant when it comes to suspension. Most of the replies, which i appreciate very much, are written as though I am at a complete lack of knowledge. I have/do drive and set up race cars, from SCCA GTA to Dirt Late Models. I know what parts do what and how they affect handling. My original question was asking about the quality of the pieces in the BMR handling package. My main concerns were the spring/shock combination. I have never built a street car before, so I do not know what is good or not. If I had it my way there would be Ohlins or Penske double adjustable gas pressure shocks with Hypercoil springs lol. I really just want an affordable fun set up for my daily driven street car. The car flexes and rolls too much. I understand shocks do wonders, believe me, but I am looking to just do everything I want all at one time. Not gradually over a few years. I am sorry if this has come across d1ckish, that is not at all how it is meant. Thank you everyone for your feedback and answers.
Thanks for being patient with us and further explaining your experience. With what you stated above, you should also give several vendors a call because I feel that phone call consultations really speed up the decision making process. Forums are good, but I feel they're still limited in many aspect with concerns to the individual's final decision.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Foxxtron I agree completely. However, I am not ready to buy right this instant. I am still checking to see what is out there and what I really want before I make the investment, and also need a little bit of time to put together all of the funds needed. I am just trying to get an idea of prices and quality so I can know what to expect and what I need, and there seem to be many knowledgeable people here that are willing to share their experience, and I thank you all very much.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Tokicos are good from what I've heard. If you don't want to pay the premium coin for Konis something like that is a good alternative.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say all the pieces in those packages are of good quality.

In my opinion I would go with different sway bars. I think a more balanced 35/22 combo is more desirable. Also, hollow bars would be a big plus if you can fork up the $$$ for the strano's. I would also match with his springs, but sometimes they are hard to come by.

I also would definitely go with KONI instead of tokico though, there is a huge difference in the quality of those two types of shocks.

BMR makes good quality LCAs, relocation brackets, subframe connectors, springs, etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

For your experience level, I'd recommend just doing the Strano Springs, Koni Shocks, and Strano hollow bars. The other parts are nice but not really needed.

Depending on what else you want an Adj. PH bar or watt's link will work well with those parts and be more car than you can ever use on the streets.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Foxxtron I agree completely. However, I am not ready to buy right this instant. I am still checking to see what is out there and what I really want before I make the investment, and also need a little bit of time to put together all of the funds needed. I am just trying to get an idea of prices and quality so I can know what to expect and what I need, and there seem to be many knowledgeable people here that are willing to share their experience, and I thank you all very much.
Steve, our kit is a well balanced kit and the parts quality is some of the best in the industry. Like i said if you want to add or delete and parts we can do that. If you have any questions please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I think anyone would be making a mistake to not at least consider the Koni single adjustable shocks. Tokico blues I've heard from some people including Sam to not contain enough damping force to control the higher rates of many lowering springs. I'd think it will be better than stock, but at least consider the Koni's. They are very good and the rebound adjustment can make the shocks ride really soft or really firm. Great shocks for daily driving in my opinion.. I've had them on both stock springs and Strano springs before. They aren't double adjustable, but I think Koni has their compression setting nailed down pretty well. So if you don't mind paying a little extra then I'd go with Koni hands down. Since you mentioned Ohlin and Penske, I'm assuming you're considering paying the money to get something really good.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I just got Koni's from Sam. Rears are in, fronts just arrived and will be installed soon. I also already had DMS springs. All my reading, over a LONG period of time, has convinced me that if I were to go back and start from bone stock I would do this:

Koni's with stock springs on lower perch.
Hose mod rear.
Strano hollow sway bars.

I still might take my DMS springs off and do exactly that.

Question for Sam and others - did I read correctly somewhere that my stock 1998 SS springs are different then the later SS springs? If so, whats the difference? Could they still be used on the lower front perch?

Last edited by pjb; 07-10-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: BMR Handling packages?