Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for advice on what shock/strut set up to buy..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on what shock/strut set up to buy..

About a month ago i bought and installed a set of lt1 eibach sportline springs on my 2000 Camaro SS and am wondering what a good shock/strut setup is to buy. The only reason i bought the springs is because i got them for a cheap price and im trying to not spend too much money on aftermarket shock/struts considering the shocks on my car wore out in a matter of a month after installing the sportlines. I also must add that my car will see the track once or twice a month and this is my daily driver. Im looking to recieve input from the guys that have "been there, done that," although any advice is appreciated.

Kody-
Old 12-20-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

if you're planning track use...

koni SA

no sense getting inferior shocks
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm going with Bilstein this week, I won't be auto-xing so I don't really need a top of the line shock. It would be nice to have a set of Koni's though!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

you're proabably better off going with something like the KYB agx adjustables....more budget friendly and can be adjusted to account for the springs.

bilsteins are not desigened for higher spring rates
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vicouSS00
About a month ago i bought and installed a set of lt1 eibach sportline springs on my 2000 Camaro SS and am wondering what a good shock/strut setup is to buy. The only reason i bought the springs is because i got them for a cheap price and im trying to not spend too much money on aftermarket shock/struts considering the shocks on my car wore out in a matter of a month after installing the sportlines. I also must add that my car will see the track once or twice a month and this is my daily driver. Im looking to recieve input from the guys that have "been there, done that," although any advice is appreciated.

Kody-

this should be a lesson to everyone. if you are cheap with the parts you buy you will regret the money you wasted that just makes your car junk. then you have to spend more money to make it right, or even just get it back to as good as it was. save your money and do it right the first time or leave it alone. cheap will come back to haunt you everytime.

I guess that people who say they don't take their car to the track also don't hit bumps, take turns, or use their suspension when doing their daily driving???
do it right and enjoy your car!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

best advice for next step is to get rid of the sportlines and start over.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO lose the sportlines unless your just going for slammed street driving. With the sportlines a Koni will be the only shock that will stand up to the drop sportlines give.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Konis are great shocks, but to burden them with terrible springs makes no sense.

ANY shocks combined with sportlines will add up to a crappy suspension.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
definitely.....i'd sooner cut the stock springs than use sportlines on my car....and i don't ever intend to cut the stock springs (which would be pointless, since i have Strano springs already, anyway).
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by pjb
Konis are great shocks, but to burden them with terrible springs makes no sense.

If looks is a priority, the Sportlines are a great choice. Otherwise I'd scrap them unfortunately.

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
definitely.....i'd sooner cut the stock springs than use sportlines on my car
I couldn't agree more (and it's exactly what I did). The Sportlines dump the car, but are very soft on rates, ESPECIALLY in the rear. A really soft rear in a dumped car will make it feel like a dump truck over bumps, because you'll be slamming into the bumpstops non-stop.

At the very least upgrade the shocks to something like the AGXs and I think swapping out the Sportlines to cut stock rear springs would help a lot (2 coils cut = ~150 lbs rear springs) or any other rear lowering spring that isn't a Sportline rear spring, and get some fresh Z28 rear bumpstops in the rear. That alone would help the ride a lot. If you want to do it on the cheap I'd do all that along with the UMM up front and it should ride considerably better.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on what shock/strut set up to buy..